J. Herbin Perle Noire

tisfortorrey

Hey all,

This is my first scanned review, and it's of J. Herbin Perle Noire. I know I mention that there's no shading, and it doesn't look like shading to me (merely differing pressure on my pen as my hand got tired at points), but feel free to contradict me :thumbup: Anyway, it's definitely not as watercolor-y as other Herbin inks tend to be.

Oh, and in advance, please forgive my amateurish spindly writing. Also, I tried to make the scan appear as near-to-life as possible, but alas, I'm sure it's not as good as it could be. Oh well :D

post-17196-1218776934_thumb.jpg

"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." - Le Petit Prince

Follow me on Twitter!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jbn10161

• tisfortorrey

• twinofmunin

• kreinhard

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree totally with your opinion. Herbin's Perle Noir is a fantastic true black, with very good flow and behavior and...a more than surprising water and UV resistance. I you use black on your pens, this one is a must.

Edited by Ondina

One more vote. Every time I think I've found another black that I like, I wind up going back to Herbin's Perle Noire. If only they would use a better bottle....

BTW tisfortorrey, there's nothing amateurish or spindly about your handwriting IMO.

Edited by jbn10161

JN

Was using Waterman black. Didn't like it. This and Dupont were recommended by an illustrious ink reviewer. My only black inks now. :thumbup:

Agrees there's nothing spindly about your writing. Nicely done. Ta for the review.

Edited by tcheuchter

I have ordered some of the Perle Noire (it should arrive tomorrow :D ) After seeing your nice scan and review, I am very happy to have this on the way. Thanks!

BTW tisfortorrey, there's nothing amateurish or spindly about your handwriting IMO.

Thanks, haha, I guess it's hard not to get a bit of an inferiority complex when you see the imazing Italic and Spencerian that some people on the forum can do :rolleyes: But I'm glad my writing is at least clean and legible, if not a little small.

I have ordered some of the Perle Noire (it should arrive tomorrow :D ) After seeing your nice scan and review, I am very happy to have this on the way. Thanks!

Great! I'm happy to have helped :D I know there are a lot of black inks out there, but I think you'll like this one.

"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." - Le Petit Prince

Follow me on Twitter!

• 5 months later...

I love Perle Noire! It's such a beautiful, soft black. I don't get much shading from finer nibs, but in my flexy Waterman I can get shading from light gray to deep, inky black. Truly marvelous. In my experience, flow is generous, and drying time is decent--on Clairefontaine, however, it can take a quite a bit longer (I've brushed up against a thick line and smudged it over a minute later). Rhodia seems to like it a little better.

Thanks for the review of this wonderful ink.

I acquired some Perle Noire entirely accidentally, but I filled a pen with it and I love it! It gets along well even with my XXXF, doesn't feather or bleed, dries quickly, and is generally very well-behaved. :thumbup:

hugin

Now you make me feel guilty! I have your bottle of Perle Noire.

FYI: Strang generously sent me three bottles of Herbin inks last November (amongst others), Poussiere de Lune, Perle Noire, and Eclat de Saphir. They turned me into a Herbin fan -- I always have three pens with these inks in them. The black, as this review attests, is a perfect ink in my opinion. I'd call it the Florida Blue of blacks. I have a ream of (cheap) old canary paper that belonged to my father-in-law and this black ink on it is stunning and well-behaved. It flows easily from pens that haven't been used in a week or two.

I've had some issues with Noodlers inks in a few of my pens (as Strang has, so he doesn't use them). The three inks I use now regularly and love are Eclat de Saphir, Watermans Florida Blue, and the Perle Noire.

However, Richard, if you show up at my door to reclaim your Perle Noire, you'll be met with a shotgun. :roflmho:

Wonderful ink! Just ran out and will try to get to one of my go to B&M tomorrow to buy more ;-)

Blackranger

"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff."

I was using Noodler's Old Manhattan Black as my exclusive black ink until jbn recommended I try the Perle Noire. I have two pens inked with the former and two pens inked with the latter, and the only reason I prefer OMB is for postcards, the ink is safe from weather. Otherwise, for in-door having-been-written conditions, I love them both the same.

And the Poussierre de Lune is one of my favorite not-blacks. (I've been calling it "Aubergine" for a coupla months, cos I was confused.)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I brought a bottle of Perle Noire recently, partly as a result of this review. It is a wonderful ink and is now my black ink of choice.

Actually I am curious if I may.. What is the connection between Herbin ink and Louis XIV? Was it used then? :)

Actually I am curious if I may.. What is the connection between Herbin ink and Louis XIV? Was it used then? :)

Herbin advertises that they made ink for Louis XIV. Whether this is a selling point depends on the buyer. (Louis XIV also thought that having a toilet was unnecessary, but I'm keeping mine anyway. :rolleyes: )

• 1 year later...

I received Perle Noir just yesterday and I think its instantly my favourite black..

Luckily they make it in the 100mL bottle! However I think Brian Goulet is the only person (that I know of) that carries these 100mL Herbin Bottles,

If only it wasnt $43 shipping to australia.. I'll have to live with the 30mL for now.

Patience is a virtue when waiting for the right pen... although I do just always seem to miss them

Twitter - aget19

Thanks for the review. I think a lot of folks who have tried this ink stick with it, but you are right this ink doesn't get the credit it deserves.

It was my first J Herbin ink. I was shocked to find the entire line of inks excluding perle noir were highly unsaturated given the reason I love perle noir is it is the most saturated black I could find.

As with all J Herbin I've tried, the ink performs flawlessly. This is my one and only black and my favorite ink for use at work. It looks so amazing next to the office supply cabinet ballpoint writing!

Can anyone who uses both this ink and Pelikan Brilliant Black comment on the difference?

I have a lot of the Pelikan ink left, and am wondering what difference, if any, the Herbin brings to the table.

Can anyone who uses both this ink and Pelikan Brilliant Black comment on the difference?

I have a lot of the Pelikan ink left, and am wondering what difference, if any, the Herbin brings to the table.

They're both excellent black inks, in my experience, as is Aurora Black--good flow in most pens, good dark black color, and better than decent water resistance. Currently I'm leaning towards Perle--just bought 100 ml from Brian Goulet. Can't say I've had any real complaints against the others. No harm in trying them concurrently in different pens, as long as you can keep straight what's filled with what.