Pen Shopping experience at Mustafa Centre Singapore

tt32003

Went pen shopping at Mustafa Centre today.

Intended to get really cheap pens to play with ie the Hero 336, pilot tear dropper etc.

They have 3 pen departments, all selling more or less the same stuff : Parker, Shaeffer, Waterman, Lamy, Pelikan, Montblanc, Caran D'ache, Faber Castel, Pilot, Hero and some fashion house brands.

The funny thing is all 3 departments sell some pens at different price ! (some items labelled wrongly)

Pelikan M400 (old style with one coulour 14k nib) are selling at SS128 (about $91) so I bought a blue stiped one.

The sale staff has very little product knoledge but let me play with the pens though there is no ink to dip and try writing.

There are Lamy 2k going for about $100.

And some fat Montblanc (149?) foing for about $300. Is that cheap ?

I bought the dirt cheap hero 336 too (at S$1.20 per piece)

Overall if you know what you want or want to feel how the pen is , it's a good huting ground for pens.

Weekday is a better time to visit there than weekend as it's not crowded and you have more space to move around.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tankahn

• tt32003

• plinius

• Ghost Plane

I would grab the fat MB149 if its only S$300. MB doesn't come cheap btw. One shop in Saigon tagged it for US$1000.

Intended to get really cheap pens to play with ie the Hero 336, pilot tear dropper etc.

They have 3 pen departments, all selling more or less the same stuff : Parker, Shaeffer, Waterman, Lamy, Pelikan, Montblanc, Caran D'ache, Faber Castel, Pilot, Hero and some fashion house brands.

The funny thing is all 3 departments sell some pens at different price ! (some items labelled wrongly)

Pelikan M400 (old style with one coulour 14k nib) are selling at SS128 (about $91) so I bought a blue stiped one.

The sale staff has very little product knoledge but let me play with the pens though there is no ink to dip and try writing.

Overall if you know what you want or want to feel how the pen is , it's a good huting ground for pens.

Weekday is a better time to visit there than weekend as it's not crowded and you have more space to move around.

Drop down to the MB forum and read up on the obvious fakes indications before you throw money at MBs you're not sure of.

hi,

the lamy 2K going for US$100 there? hmmm... about the same price as Pen Gallery then.. interesting.. do they have most of the nib size? esp EF and F?

Thanks

hi,

the lamy 2K going for US$100 there? hmmm... about the same price as Pen Gallery then.. interesting.. do they have most of the nib size? esp EF and F?

Thanks

Not very sure.

I saw something that looks like Lamy 2k at the Lamy section and labelled S$140.

But there was no one at the counter.

Not very sure.

I saw something that looks like Lamy 2k at the Lamy section and labelled S$140.

But there was no one at the counter.

uhmm... are you sure it's a Lamy 2k FP? Because the retail price in Singapore is about $240 ish (Guess who got stung)

As to Mustafa - Yeah... It's like that and has been like that since ages...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3252/3157773197_46e4d8e78b_o.png

"Words dazzle and deceive because they mimed by the face

But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare"

--Guy De Maupassant

Nope. No S$300 MB149 or S$100 Lamy2K. I go there every week for grocery shopping. But you can buy a box of 10cc disposable syringes for 30 cents (about US 20cts) each at the counter selling blood pressure device nearby.