Platinum Stainless Steel (low price) Fountain Pen

ThaIwan

I'm doing a review but at the same time I require more information on this pen. I know there was 1 review some time ago but I can't trace it back. Anybody with knowledge on this pen or the earlier posted review on this pen, please feel free to provide that what you can tell about it. Thanks in advance.

The Pen we're reviewing here is a Platinum Stainless steel pen. I bought it at some Thai department store in the range of 400 - 500 Baht = say around $ 15 or Euro 9. The pen holds 1 cartridge (no space for spare), as far as I know there is no converter (people who know better please go ahead and shoot).

The pen is engraved with some patern of lines forming little rectangles. A comparison with the chisel design of Parker will go too far but think in that direction somehow. See the picture as well.

Length of the pen is 13.5 cm, posted it is 14.9 cm so fairly tall, but in diameter it's a smallish pen, about 9 mm + on the start of the grip. Cap posts well and fits on the pen snug as a bug, no slack to be noticed. Clip is spring loaded, decent and easy to attach and release from whatever it is clipped on.

The nib is I guess stainless steel but it has some shiny gold colored layer only engraved with the Platinum "P". Very cool nib actually. The feed of the nib is of some translucent plastic. I've seen this on other Platinum products as well. The wings of the nib...or whatever called or folded around the feed.

When at first I bought this pen I bought because I thought a steel pen at this price, Japanese production...nothing much can go wrong. When I wrote it I was disappointed a bit about the performance and put it away. I found it writing too dry and too smallish for my hands. Recently I picked it up again and found myself picking it up more and more and enjoy some writing with it. So I started looking for more information on this pen but couldn't get it.

I started liking the pen because actually I can write fairly well with it. My handwriting gets a nice touch with it. The nib is a bit springy. There's no line variation, you'd have to push hard to spread the tines really, but somehow the springiness gives option for some nice writing. The nib is not supersmooth as on e.g. a Sailor or Pilot, but it's certainly not bad. It does have some tooth so you feel a bit of resistance on the paper but it's not scratchy as far as I can say.

The linewidth is very fine and it's not a pen for those who write with big characters I think.

The inkflow is on the dry side. When I flushed it and tried to blow air through I found this also very hard. I flushed it also with some soap solution and the flow has become better. Perhaps a bit of tuning on the nib can help...but then again tuning is a very big word for me to use....

So what's this all about? I'm going to use this pen for some time and take it with me on my daily job together with my Sailor 1911 and Parker Sonnet and see how it behaves. If only I could get a converter for it.

Anybody having more information...please let me know. Thanks for that and for reading.

post-16610-1218536803_thumb.jpg

post-16610-1218536825_thumb.jpg

post-16610-1218536898_thumb.jpg

post-16610-1218536922_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• acolythe

• ThaIwan

• cmeisenzahl

• Jersey Diabolo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm doing a review but at the same time I require more information on this pen. I know there was 1 review some time ago but I can't trace it back. Anybody with knowledge on this pen or the earlier posted review on this pen, please feel free to provide that what you can tell about it. Thanks in advance.

The Pen we're reviewing here is a Platinum Stainless steel pen. I bought it at some Thai department store in the range of 400 - 500 Baht = say around $ 15 or Euro 9. The pen holds 1 cartridge (no space for spare), as far as I know there is no converter (people who know better please go ahead and shoot).

The pen is engraved with some patern of lines forming little rectangles. A comparison with the chisel design of Parker will go too far but think in that direction somehow. See the picture as well.

Length of the pen is 13.5 cm, posted it is 14.9 cm so fairly tall, but in diameter it's a smallish pen, about 9 mm + on the start of the grip. Cap posts well and fits on the pen snug as a bug, no slack to be noticed. Clip is spring loaded, decent and easy to attach and release from whatever it is clipped on.

The nib is I guess stainless steel but it has some shiny gold colored layer only engraved with the Platinum "P". Very cool nib actually. The feed of the nib is of some translucent plastic. I've seen this on other Platinum products as well. The wings of the nib...or whatever called or folded around the feed.

When at first I bought this pen I bought because I thought a steel pen at this price, Japanese production...nothing much can go wrong. When I wrote it I was disappointed a bit about the performance and put it away. I found it writing too dry and too smallish for my hands. Recently I picked it up again and found myself picking it up more and more and enjoy some writing with it. So I started looking for more information on this pen but couldn't get it.

I started liking the pen because actually I can write fairly well with it. My handwriting gets a nice touch with it. The nib is a bit springy. There's no line variation, you'd have to push hard to spread the tines really, but somehow the springiness gives option for some nice writing. The nib is not supersmooth as on e.g. a Sailor or Pilot, but it's certainly not bad. It does have some tooth so you feel a bit of resistance on the paper but it's not scratchy as far as I can say.

The linewidth is very fine and it's not a pen for those who write with big characters I think.

The inkflow is on the dry side. When I flushed it and tried to blow air through I found this also very hard. I flushed it also with some soap solution and the flow has become better. Perhaps a bit of tuning on the nib can help...but then again tuning is a very big word for me to use....

So what's this all about? I'm going to use this pen for some time and take it with me on my daily job together with my Sailor 1911 and Parker Sonnet and see how it behaves. If only I could get a converter for it.

Anybody having more information...please let me know. Thanks for that and for reading.

I beleive a standard Platinum converter will fit. I bought mine form a fellow FPNer and it came with a cartridge. I agree with all that you have said. Initially i thought it was too toothy and too slim and I put mine away also. But of late I find myself filling it more and more often in my rotation. I really like the nib now and I am unsure why. Its certainly not the smoothness. Being a slightly dry writer I find it shades my inks quite qwell. The nib size is on the finne size (western standard).

I'd buy another if it became available.

b

Hi, thanks for yor reply. Do you own the same pen? The shading thing is also what I noticed. If you're seriously interested I'd might be able to get one for you. The shop where I bought it is nearby and I'm by now a welknown person....ah come here again? What happened...you lost your pen or you brake it? Ehm...no I come to look for something new... Not sure if they still got some in stock.

Platinum makes great pens. My Platinum Stainless Steel Armors are no-frills pens and the nibs look very similar to yours. 'Tuning', unfortunately wasn't as big a word for me as it should have been. My nibs aren't Fine points any more ... :sick:

Hi, thanks for yor reply. Do you own the same pen? The shading thing is also what I noticed. If you're seriously interested I'd might be able to get one for you. The shop where I bought it is nearby and I'm by now a welknown person....ah come here again? What happened...you lost your pen or you brake it? Ehm...no I come to look for something new... Not sure if they still got some in stock.

I would love to have 2 more

at $15.00 such a steel ( pun)

yes I have the same pen, except no etching on the stainless armor

Please pm me if you would be able to obtain and ship two

I can pay with paypal, if you like

b

• 3 months later...

FYI, I noticed that Speerbob is selling these on FleaBay for $18 with Buy-It-Now. They come with a fine nib and a converter adapter so that you can use international cartridges. Not a bad deal on a stainless steel pen with an etched pattern on it. Plus, Platinum makes very good nibs.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small