Four generations of Pilot Capless pens

haywoody

I recently received a modern VP from another FPN'r... my first. I have avoided them mainly because I didn't like the styling. I still don't love it but the pen feels great and I have been using it a lot over the last few months. When I looked in my work bag yesterday I noticed that I had 3 Capless pens inked up and one in the desk... all in basic black with silver trim.

post-8178-1217714644_thumb.jpg

The models are, from left to right:

CL-200SW from 1965 - pretty common model in plastic with steel trim

CN-400BS from 1973 - not so common model in annodized aluminum and steel trim

CN-500R from 1981 - the well-known faceted model in plastic with steel trim

FC-15SR from 1998 - the modern VP in painted steel with steel trim

It is interesting to see how the basic Capless has evolved over 40 years. It's pretty cool that the nib units from 1973 forward can be swapped with each other.

If I have to pick a favorite it is the CN-400BS. The feeling of the annodized finish and the clean, stream-lined design put it a step above the rest for me.

What's your favorite Capless?

/Woody

Edited by haywoody

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nikolaos

• MYU

• Siv

• namikifan4

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The CN-400BS [second from left]. Sleek, sexy and the best looker of the bunch.

Now you need a Decimo to go with the croud!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

The CN-400BS [second from left]. Sleek, sexy and the best looker of the bunch.

Agreed. I don't know why pen manufacturers don't usually make satin or brushed finish black barrels--I find them much more attractive than the usual glossy.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I have two of the CN-400BS from 1973 , and one of them is NOS, however, both have tiny marks on the barrel where the acid from the glue of the price sticker had eaten into the textured anodized aluminum surface. Pity.

The CN-400BS is the same size, both girth and length as the Decimo, and the placement of the clip, as well as the tactile feel from the textured surface ( no slippery hold) makes it my favourite Capless.

Edited by polygon

I like both the 400 and the 500 for their sleek, integrated clips. If I had to choose, I'd go with the 400, though. The anodized finish is just fantastic looking. Then again, the 500 has the cool faceted body... Can't I have both?

That is a nice collection and it is interesting to see how the design of the VP has changed over the years. My favourite there is CN-400BS, it looks very sleek.

That's a great little collection. Thanks for sharing.

Namiki Kasuri VP, Pilot Murex

Sailor Sapporo / Sailor 1911

Lamy 2000 / Studio / Safari

WTB: Nakaya Writer (when pigs fly!)

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between the Vanishing Point, Fermo, and Decimo? As I understand it, the Decimo is the style of the new VP, but about the size of the old VP. Anyone have a picture of all the current capless sizes/styles together for comparison?

Great collection of black Capless pens there, Woody. You've inspired me to take a photo of my collection and post here as well. :)

I also prefer the more streamlined design from the 70's. I just wish they were a little heavier, a little closer in weight to the 90's VP (FC-15SR). The design is great across all years, IMHO, although I find the CL-200SW to be too "plasticky" with a fragile click mechanism. For me, the Raden design on the Vanishing Point is a superb finish and beautiful to look at, so it's my favorite.

Polygon, thanks for that line-up shot of your VP/Capless collection--very helpful in seeing how they all compare in terms of size. It really makes me wish Pilot went back to the combined clip/section piece of the 70's Capless; that on a metal body Decimo would be a killer combination.

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Very nice collection Woody,

i have a few like yours but in different colors

I will try to get a group shot of my capless pens. This is becoming a pretty nice "show us your capless" sort of thread

nikolaos

here is my contribution

Hope that Rotombees will get around to post a few photos of his collection :happyberet:

Aw, no fair Nikolaos... that demonstrator is a below-the-belt hit! :drool:

I only intended to show the evolution of the basic style of Capless. This thread has gone out of control - Yippee! I will try to get all of my Caplii together for a group shot, but for now here's another CL-200:

/Woody

Bling bling! OK, so I don't have any 'vintage' ones but that's because silly prices abound for those. The space is for a Black Fermo which is in the mail.

I'm not a fan of gold trim so missing from my collection are: white/pink/sesenta red/sesenta green decimos, blue fermo and red kasuri/black kasuri/blue kasuri/mandarin yellow/green/slate gray/japan orange/japan turquoise regular VPs.

post-17253-1217901460_thumb.jpg

Edited by Siv

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77