Sailor 1911

Chris

When I unpacked the box I was impressed with the general fit and finish of this pen. It is not cheap, but neither is it extremely expensive (it is the smaller of the two 1911 sizes) and maybe a good mid-range pen to consider. I expect it would last a lifetime.

I particularly like the tiny O ring that stops the barrel coming unscrewed in use and which would prevent leaks should the convertor decide to fall out :o - though I very much doubt any such mishap would befall this instrument.

In size it is almost identical to the MB 145 but slightly fatter and, to many, it looks exceedingly like an MB but with a plain dome instead of the white splat on the top of the cap. It is black with gold-plated trim and impressive sized 14ct gold nib.

It uses a convertor or cartridges, but I fitted neither and simply dipped the pen for this test run.

I do not have great big hands so I found it a good size to write with, and I have been using it for two days to see whether I like it.

The Zoom nib is reviewed elsewhere but it is indeed very smooth and the sweet spot is huge so not problems. Ink flow is generous and regular with a variety of inks from Waterman, Diamine and Pelikan (I rinsed and changed a lot). No ink led to any flooding or dryness/skipping.

The nib has the capability to write from very broad to medium/broad depending on the angle it is held at, but unless you change the angle conciously the line width is very regular (and a bit boring to be honest). Turn the pen over and write with the nib the other way up and you get a fine line, dryer but regular.

I can see this being the perfect Sudoku nib :eureka: Little numbers for the options and the bold stroke when you know what to put in the box :)

I found the line too broad for my taste, but perfect for someone with large writing, or for addressing envelopes perhaps!

So, a well made, nicely finished, smooth-writing pen that is reasonably priced and comes with an exotic nib but which writes perfectly easily without needing careful attention to hand positioning. I found it easy and comfortable to use and am seriously tempted to a Sailor 1911.

Would I recommend it?

Yes, no question.

Will I keep it?

No. Unfortunately, the Zoom nib is just too broad for my taste, but perhaps with a finer nib (I like medium, not finer) I might be tempted. It would make a great highlighter filled with the bright yellow highlighter ink from..., but an expensive highlighter perhaps!

Is there anything I don't like about the pen?

Well, a very personal thing, but where I work we have a lot of el-cheapo freebie giveaway ballpoints that are black plastic and gold trim (design inspiration not a million miles from MB!)

This pen, at first glance, looks like it could be one of them :( , though the difference in quality is immediately apparent as soon as you get closer :). I'd hate anyone to think I was using one of those tatty things :unsure:

Finally, my thanks to Andy Evans who has started a "try before you buy" scheme for this chance to test-drive a broad nib. I now have to clean it and return it to him.

Chris

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maja

• Chris

• emrecan

• chupie

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the nice review!

Take Care,

Emrecan

Greetings from İstanbul

the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

The Zoom nib is reviewed elsewhere but it is indeed very smooth and the sweet spot is huge so not problems.

Hmmm. Now I am really getting paranoid.....

Me too; I ordered one online through eBay's 'Buy It Now' :unsure:

Still, I have heard that it is fun to use and I have so many medium nibs that it would be a shame to pass up the opportunity to have a nice pen with an exotic nib. :)

Thanks for the review, Chris, and for your honesty with regard to the nib and it's pluses and minuses. :)