Sheaffer Imperial "Frankenpen"

OldGriz

This is a Sheaffer White Dot Imperial... a nice modern Cartridge/Converter filler, no longer made. I bought this from Ted Manullang here on FPN

This is a "FrankenPen".. it started it's life as a Rollerball and was converted to Fountain Pen by the Ted...

Measures 5" closed, 5.75" capped and .437" Diameter... a nice comfortable size pen in brushed stainless steel.. not at all heavy...

The original nib was Broad, but Ted had it reground to a Broad Stub Italic... puts down a beautiful smooth wet line.. a bit too broad for my handwriting, but prints well for me (See example below).. Of course it does make for a very stunning signature...

Best thing was the price... $25 including shipping..

http://www.myfavoritepen.com/FPN/Frankenpen.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• randyholhut

• OldGriz

• Sharkle

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pen, Old Griz! I have a stainless Cross pen and it's very light and comfortable. I like metal pens in general, and your handsome Sheaffer here makes me want to try one of that brand--thanks for the info and pics. Great price, too. And btw you have lovely handwriting

Wow! That looks like a very nice writer indeed, Tom!

Thanks for sharing!

Warm regards, WIm

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

At the risk of quibbling, I wouldn't call it a "frankenpen." I'd call it taking advantage of Sheaffer's production design.

The Targa, the original style No Nonsense, the Balance II and the Triumph Imperial are all pens that use interchangable bodies, so you can easily go from RB to FP with these pens. I'm sure Sheaffer did when they were making them.

To me, frankenpen means a melange of parts in a pen. This doesn't qualify.

Plus, the Triumph Imperial Flighter is a great pen no matter how you get it. Solid as a Legacy at a fraction of the price.

At the risk of quibbling, I wouldn't call it a "frankenpen." I'd call it taking advantage of Sheaffer's production design.

The Targa, the original style No Nonsense, the Balance II and the Triumph Imperial are all pens that use interchangable bodies, so you can easily go from RB to FP with these pens. I'm sure Sheaffer did when they were making them.

Plus, the Triumph Imperial Flighter is a great pen no matter how you get it. Solid as a Legacy at a fraction of the price.

I agree completely. Sheaffer made the barrels on these pens so that the only thing needed to "convert" a fountain pen barrel to a rollerball barrel would be to add the correct spring. The barrel has a post for the spring down at the bottom.

This Triumph Imperial is "converted" if we are being "precise". :D

I would use the term "Frankenpen" for things like cap / barrel mismatch swaps and such.

Great that your pen could be converted!

Edited by PenHero

• 3 years later...

I just got one of these in a medium nib today and am very impressed by what a smooth writer this pen is. Gorgeous nib!

Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.

There is no snooze button on a cat wanting breakfast.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I agree completely. Sheaffer made the barrels on these pens so that the only thing needed to "convert" a fountain pen barrel to a rollerball barrel would be to add the correct spring. The barrel has a post for the spring down at the bottom.

This Triumph Imperial is "converted" if we are being "precise". :D

I would use the term "Frankenpen" for things like cap / barrel mismatch swaps and such.

Great that your pen could be converted!

Calling this a Frankenpen is almost like calling an Esterbrook a Frankenpen because it came with a 9550 and you swapped in a 9556. It's all the same model, the same color, and the method of putting ink to paper is derived from the next one over in the gift set. I agree with "converted" in this case.

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."

-Albert Einstein

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

BP/Pencil set trade