Noodler's Aquamarine Blue

kudzu

This is my first ink review. I decided to just knock it out rather than agonizing over it since it's an ink that doesn't seem to have yet been reviewed.

My review says this ink doesn't shade, but in looking at the photo of the review, perhaps it does shade a bit. What do you think? I really like this ink.

post-5255-1215153123_thumb.jpg

[edited to remove one of the photos]

Edited by kudzu

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kookychick

• kudzu

• superbleu

• Ann Finley

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aquamarine is my favorite waterproof ink. I find it very well behaved. As a lefty, it dries nice and quick on most papers (everything dries slowly on Clairefontaine paper ime). Great stuff, and an excellent review.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

This is my first ink review. I decided to just knock it out rather than agonizing over it since it's an ink that doesn't seem to have yet been reviewed.

My review says this ink doesn't shade, but in looking at the photo of the review, perhaps it does shade a bit. What do you think? I really like this ink.

Looks like good shading to me (I bet it would look even better from that point of view via some sort of italic nib). Anyway, thanks for the review - at least on your scan it's a very appealing colour; a bit like a darker version of PR's Tropical Blue, perhaps?

Simon

I've never used PR Tropical Blue, but Aquamarine Blue definitely has a tropical feel to it. I like that it's a dark tropical blue.

Kudzu

Hi Kudzu,

This isn't a Swishmix ink as you stated at the bottom of your review...But it is a Swisher exclusive.

The Swishmix inks are a fast dry line of inks, also made for Swisher's. These are listed separately in the Index of Ink Reviews.

Thanks for doing this review--I've been hoping someone would do a review on this ink for quite awhile. It was one of the first Noodler's waterproof inks.

Best, Ann

How does the aquamarine behave as far as feathering is concerned on less than great paper?

I got some swishmix glacier blue, since it is water resistant and a color I thought I would like, but it feathers too much in the lab book I have to use for work.

I'm glad you posted this review. I have heard of this ink before, but I always pictured it being a light "florida blue" type of ink. I'm glad to see it's a darker blue ink. I'll have to add it to the list to purchase.

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

I used to have this ink too, and what I found amazing was that the colour changes a lot depending on the pen you use: in drier writers and italics it is an almost turquoise colour and in wet writers it's close to a deep blue. I have put some Noodler's Black into mine, so now it looks like Legal Lapis.

Hi, superbleu, I mostly use this ink on my checks, on Clairefontaine, and Rhodia with some Southworth and Eaton thrown in. I don't know how it would work for less than great paper, but it doesn't feather at all on the papers I use. The tradeoff may be the slower drying time, which, for me, is only an issue with the Clairefontaine paper.

Thanks, Ann, for correcting me about the Swishmix designation. Great clarification.

Kudzu

In my quest for the perfect journal, I tried Aquamarine (and other colors) in several journals. I'm pretty picky about feathering. Here are my results, all with a Sensa Meridian, custom ground XF nib.

Alvin Saray graph paper pad: only a very tiny bit of feathering now and then if you look really, really close

Apica CD-5 notebook: similar to Alvin Saray

cheap copy paper (Hammermill Great White 20#, 92 brightness, 30% recycled): moderate feathering, some line widening

Clairefontaine wire-bound notebook: negligible feathering, maybe can see a bit every few lines

Derwent journal: tiny bit of feathering

Exacompta Journey notebook: negligible feathering

Exacompta Nostalgie refill: teensy tiny bit of feathering, less than Alvin Saray

hand*book journal: similar to Alvin Saray

Markings by C.R. Gibson 4x6 journal: moderate feathering

Miquelrius flexible notebook: a lot of line widening, some feathering

onion skin paper (white & buff): no feathering!

Pen + Ink journal: tiny bit of feathering

Rhodia: negligible feathering

If my scanner was working, I'd post pictures (well, that and I'd have to find some place free to host the pics ;) ). Hopefully I'll get the chance to do so before school starts up again!

Inks currently in pens: Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Rachmaninov, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, Naval Orange, MN Whaleman's Sepia, Verdun Green, Majestic Orange; J. Herbin Violette Pensée, Rose Cyclamen, Orange Indien

Blog Twitter Facebook

Thanks, Ann, for correcting me about the Swishmix designation. Great clarification.

Actually, I should have clarified further! The Swishmix inks were said to be about 75% waterproof (I notice that the website just lists them as waterproof now, so I don' know if there's been a formula change.) They are a mix of Swisher Pens Fountain Pen Inks (made by Noodler's Ink) and Noodler's Swisher's exclusive waterproof inks. It is recommended that "fountain pen friendly paper" be used.

The Noodler's Swisher's exclusives, such as the Aquamarine, are 100% waterproof. There are no particular paper recommendations made for this ink.

BTW, in my experience, the Aquamarine has changed (in the pen) from the color shown in the review to a deep, regular blue. Both shades were nice--but I was rather surprised. This did not happen quickly, and the ink was good about not clogging the pen, even when loaded for a month or more.

Best, Ann

I have used it for sometime now and I think I am on my 4th bottle. I really like it.

It has a lot of pigment and isn't for every pen. My Sheaffer Targas and Sheaffer desk pens love it. My Parker 51s clog with it.

I find it has a definite turquoise aspect to it which is fine on white paper, but not as lovable on cream colored paper.

I always have a pen on my desk that has this ink in it.

Bobby

Why carry one pen when four will do!

Member of the Calgary Pen Club: <A href="http://www.calgarypenclub.com/" target=_blank>http: //www.calgarypenclub.com/

Thank you for sharing your findings.

A very thorough review of papers and journals.

Do you know how it compares to other noodlers waterproof/resistant inks?

There are a lot of places that will host photos for you for free, I have been using picasa as of late. kodakgallery.com, shutterfly.com flickr.com are some others.

In my quest for the perfect journal, I tried Aquamarine (and other colors) in several journals. I'm pretty picky about feathering. Here are my results, all with a Sensa Meridian, custom ground XF nib.

Alvin Saray graph paper pad: only a very tiny bit of feathering now and then if you look really, really close

Apica CD-5 notebook: similar to Alvin Saray

cheap copy paper (Hammermill Great White 20#, 92 brightness, 30% recycled): moderate feathering, some line widening

Clairefontaine wire-bound notebook: negligible feathering, maybe can see a bit every few lines

Derwent journal: tiny bit of feathering

Exacompta Journey notebook: negligible feathering

Exacompta Nostalgie refill: teensy tiny bit of feathering, less than Alvin Saray

hand*book journal: similar to Alvin Saray

Markings by C.R. Gibson 4x6 journal: moderate feathering

Miquelrius flexible notebook: a lot of line widening, some feathering

onion skin paper (white & buff): no feathering!

Pen + Ink journal: tiny bit of feathering

Rhodia: negligible feathering

If my scanner was working, I'd post pictures (well, that and I'd have to find some place free to host the pics ;) ). Hopefully I'll get the chance to do so before school starts up again!

There are a lot of places that will host photos for you for free, I have been using picasa as of late. kodakgallery.com, shutterfly.com flickr.com are some others.

Thanks for the tip on the photo hosting! I just signed up for a flickr account (I didn't want to download anything to my computer, as picasa seemed to require). Now I just have to get my scanner going! :(

Just going by performance and not my personal, subjective feelings of the color (I didn't really like it):

Ink flow: I'd say that it was on the more free-flowing end of Noodler's inks. It didn't dry in the nib while writing with it, and started up right away without skipping after not being used for a few days.

Feathering: it was in the middle of the range--despite some people's experiences, I've had good luck with the Russian series and the 3 Singapore inks I have. Hunter Green feathered on most of my papers, and Upper Ganges Blue and Britannia's Blue Waves (diluted) were worse on feathering.

Bleedthrough/showthrough: It didn't bleed through on any papers (though it almost did on the Miquelrius), but there's a fair bit of showthrough on different papers. I'd say it was in the middle of the range that I've tried.

Drying time: I think it was about average for a Noodler's ink in my experience.

Hope that helps! Let me know if there was something you wanted to know that I missed!

Inks currently in pens: Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Rachmaninov, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, Naval Orange, MN Whaleman's Sepia, Verdun Green, Majestic Orange; J. Herbin Violette Pensée, Rose Cyclamen, Orange Indien

Blog Twitter Facebook

Thanks, yes this helps a lot. I'll see if Sam has any of the Russian ink's at the Portland pen show this weekend to try out.

Where did you get the noodler's Singapore inks from?

I'm also curious to know what you think about the various journals you have tried, likes and dislikes.

Just your favorite 2 or 3 would be great.

Thanks for the tip on the photo hosting! I just signed up for a flickr account (I didn't want to download anything to my computer, as picasa seemed to require). Now I just have to get my scanner going! :(

Just going by performance and not my personal, subjective feelings of the color (I didn't really like it):

Ink flow: I'd say that it was on the more free-flowing end of Noodler's inks. It didn't dry in the nib while writing with it, and started up right away without skipping after not being used for a few days.

Feathering: it was in the middle of the range--despite some people's experiences, I've had good luck with the Russian series and the 3 Singapore inks I have. Hunter Green feathered on most of my papers, and Upper Ganges Blue and Britannia's Blue Waves (diluted) were worse on feathering.

Bleedthrough/showthrough: It didn't bleed through on any papers (though it almost did on the Miquelrius), but there's a fair bit of showthrough on different papers. I'd say it was in the middle of the range that I've tried.

Drying time: I think it was about average for a Noodler's ink in my experience.

Hope that helps! Let me know if there was something you wanted to know that I missed!

Picasaweb does not require any installation, only that you have a Google account. I find it very easy to use, a bit easier than Flickr (which is also easy by the way). I prefer picasaweb nowadays. If you run out of storage, you just open another google account. if you're like me, you probably have several gmail addresses -- one for spam, one for family/friends, one for academics.

I have had great flow success with Verdun and Djinn of the Eternal Flame inks, which are also in the Swisher's Eternal line (which aquamarine is in). I have heard the same story for Gulf Stream Blue, too. I can't comment on Goldfinch because I never use it as-is. But what I'm trying to say is: the Swisher Eternal line seems to always have excellent flow properties.

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

Picasaweb does not require any installation, only that you have a Google account. I find it very easy to use, a bit easier than Flickr (which is also easy by the way). I prefer picasaweb nowadays. If you run out of storage, you just open another google account. if you're like me, you probably have several gmail addresses -- one for spam, one for family/friends, one for academics.

Ah--I saw the "get started with Picasa Web albums" where it says "download Picasa with web sharing" and a "free download" button, and I assumed that was the only way to upload pics. But I figured it out (and created an FPN-designated account :)). Thanks for the tip!

Blog Twitter Facebook

Any nib creep noticed? Thanks.

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

Thanks, yes this helps a lot. I'll see if Sam has any of the Russian ink's at the Portland pen show this weekend to try out.

Where did you get the noodler's Singapore inks from?

I'm also curious to know what you think about the various journals you have tried, likes and dislikes.

Just your favorite 2 or 3 would be great.

Oops! Missed this post before, somehow. Sorry! :embarrassed_smile:

I'm really jealous that you got to go to the Portland pen show! How was it?

I got the Singapore inks from Tay at pensinasia.com. He's really great! :)

In my obsessive quest for a journal, I tried 11 different journals/papers, and have one that finally arrived a couple weeks ago--the small, unlined Quo Vadis Habana (was backordered for 2 months), which I haven't tried yet. The ones I've decided to stick with are the Clairefontaine Basics/Nostalgie refills, 5 x 7 (in a plastic cover with pressed flowers embedded in it) and the lined Exacompta Journey notebook (with Clairefontaine paper), 4 x 6. Even though some other papers handled FP ink well, I loved the Clairefontaine paper for its whiteness, smoothness, and performance (it was clearly the best at preventing feathering in the inks I use, mostly Noodler's). Ink takes a bit longer to dry on Clairefontaine, but I'm not a lefty and I just use a piece of cheap absorbent paper as a bookmark to absorb the excess ink. The paper is really thin, but I found I don't like really thick paper (like Derwent or hand*book)--something about turning the page and having it feel almost like cardstock doesn't appeal to me. There is some show-through (but not bleedthrough) on the opposite side of the paper, but I never write on the left side anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

I hope to do a full review to document my madness...urm, I mean share my findings...with everyone soon! :)

Blog Twitter Facebook

Any nib creep noticed? Thanks.

I had virtually no nib creep on my Sensa Meridian, chrome/iridium-tipped nib. You could definitely tell what color ink it was by looking at the slit, but it didn't really creep out from the slit. YMMV!

Blog Twitter Facebook