Vintage american pens on the cheap

Robert Ellis

I have come to have a soft spot for many pens, as you might have noticed. I would like to add some vintage pens to my growing collection, but I don't want to go overboard.

The two companies that jump out at me for starters are Parker (I live in WI) and Sheaffer (my pa is from Iowa, not far from Sheaffer). What models should I be looking or from those two that can be had in reasonably good condition in the $50 and under range, if any? I would prefer something non-cartridge.

If all else fails I will have to buy a Hero 329 and a Wing Sung with the Triumph-style nib just to have representatives.

Cheers.

It's cold outside, I should get more pens.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert Ellis

• Brian Anderson

• Michael Wright

• KendallJ

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Robert! Fellow Wisconsinite here (Appleton). For under $50, a sure bet would be a Parker 51 aerometric. Most can be found in the wild in working condition. I'm sure you could also find lever fill Sheaffer Balances from the 30's or 40's or a triumph nibbed snorkle or touchdown as well.

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

'nother vote for a "51" though it may take a bit of looking to find a nice one for <$50. For Sheaffer, Touchdown TMs tend to go for less than Snorkels. You might also find one of the earlier Imperials with Touchdown filling, with either a Triumph or an inlaid nib. I think the Imperial looks better with the inlaid nib.

If you like a small pen, you *might* find a tolerable Lady Duofold for your price, and if you were really lucky (or scored on ebay on a quiet day) a Junior Duofold, which would be a coup. Same, I think, with small flat top Sheaffers. If you can love a littley and can resac your own, costs go down.

Good luck

Michael

Snorkel! or Touchdown. Both are from late 40's and 50's and plentiful. Most in user condition can be had for <50$.

Don't forget Esterbrook in that list of vintage to buy. A J should be in everyone's collection IMO. I'm sorta stunned Brian didn't mention it. ;)

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Don't forget Esterbrook in that list of vintage to buy. A J should be in everyone's collection IMO. I'm sorta stunned Brian didn't mention it. ;)

Shhhhhhh, Kendall - we don't want word to get out and drive prices up...B)

Gerry

QUOTE (KendallJ @ Jan 17 2006, 08:47 AM)

Don't forget Esterbrook in that list of vintage to buy. A J should be in everyone's collection IMO. I'm sorta stunned Brian didn't mention it. wink.gif

Shhhhhhh, Kendall - we don't want word to get out and drive prices up...cool.gif

Gerry

Ester-who? I don't know what you are talking about. :D

Actually, it didn't really cross my mind because I was thinking of Parker and Sheaffer only. Man, I'm getting slow in my medium age. :)

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

No worries chaps, I am not interested in acquiring Esterbrooks.

Thanks to all for the input.

Cheers.

Cheers.

I am liking the prospects of a Sheaffer Imperial. I checked completed auctions on eBay and it is a very cheap path to the classic Sheaffer inlaid nib.

Cheers.

I just acquired a nice Sheaffer Imperial C/C filler and could not be happier... nicely balanced. I could not tell you the nib originally wrote because it was reground to a stub italic... a nice wet broad stub italic...

Here is a link to the picture & review I just did

Sheaffer Imperial Review.

Edited by OldGriz

I am liking the prospects of a Sheaffer Imperial. I checked completed auctions on eBay and it is a very cheap path to the classic Sheaffer inlaid nib.

Yes indeed. But only a minority are Touchdown fillers, so you might want to check carefully if the cc avoidance is strong. But there's nothing wrong with the cartridge pens, either.

Good luck

Michael

I think I would prefer the Touchdown for those models. I that system seems really interesting. I am not fuly opposed to a cartridge pen, after all I need somehing for travel backup, I saw this nice Cisele Parker the other day...

Cheers.