Traveling with Ink

ipse dixit

I went out of state to our training site for a week. Anticipated there would be alot of writting so I wanted to take a bottle of ink along to refile my pens.

At the Container Store I found, in with the pill bottles, a white plastic container that a bottle of Private Reserve Ink wrapped in one paper towel fit perfectly. The paper towel kept the bottel from ratteling around. It also would catch any leaks.

I wrapped a piece of vinyl tape around the lid to keep it from coming unscrewed.

You can also write on the outside with a permenate marker and erease it with a white ereaser.

Container on the right.

http://images.containerstore.com/MEDIA/ProductCatalog/3084/3084.jpg

One ink to find them,

One ink to bring them all

One ink to rule them all,

and in the darkness bind them..

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheNobleSavage

• Kees

• krz

• ipse dixit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm... During the school day, I find that my Waterman Florida Blue bottle doesn't leak or come unscrewed.. I've also gone on a weekend excursion with that same bottle, no mishaps. I would take more cautionary measures if I actually used a suitcase, however. Thanks for the information.

Edited by J. John Harvey

Hi i.d.,

I carry 5 or more (depending on my mood, but 5 is the minimum :D ) bottles (glass) of ink in my carry-all, every working day, with no more protection than the boxes they came in originally, or if I don't have the boxes (anymore), a piece of plastic (plastic bag) between the bottles. I've been doing this for about 2 1/2 years now, without any problems or accidents.

IOW, don't worry too much: these bottles are sturdy, and don't come unscrewed by themselves :D. And they are so sturdy, that they don't break easily either. :D

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Wim:

The ink I was taking was packed in a suitcase and turned over to the kind and gentle airline baggage handlers. Plus, now you can’t lock your suitcase because of security and the latches on my bag pop open if they are pressed. It is entirely likely that a bottle could be broken in a plastic bag and put back in the suitcase where the glass would eventually cut the bag and leak ink on the contents of the suitcase.

Of course the ink could be put in my carry on bags, but I can see some TSA clerk opening and spilling the ink or worse.

I am a firm believer in Murphy’s Law, anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

BTW I used to live in Den Haag and Wassenaar when I was in Jr High.

Jim

One ink to find them,

One ink to bring them all

One ink to rule them all,

and in the darkness bind them..

Great idea(!); however, it still doesn't prevent problems of the "human-kind." My last two trips have produced two open compartment zippers (stuff spilled out inside the bag), batteries improperly removed from a Grundig travel radio (scratches to the battery compartment where it was pried open), and cleaning the inside of my shaving/bath kit (shampoo disaster -- possibly my fault). With my recent string of luck: I believe I'd have clothing covered in ink. :P

My most recent 'solution' was to purchase a Danitrio eyedropper FP. Large capacity ink reservoir and 'safety' shut-off. Figure I'd fill it up before departing and it's good to go for about week of on- and off writing.

Cheers,

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I use 2 Visconti Ink pots and I am considering a 3rd. These are wonderful gizmos to put ink into and to fill most of your pens and yes, travel. They fit perfectley in my 3 pen case and my 10 pen case along with the rest of my fountain pens. The big drawback is that they are costly and not all filling mechanisms are compatible with the inkpot.

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

I've been eyeballing those chrome plated brass pill holders at the drugstore. They're kind of barrel shaped with a good O-ring seal. It looks to hold maybe a half ounce. I'd just like to have a little bit of ink with me at all times.

Noble Savage, those Visconti Ink pots look like the best way to go.

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Real collectors, of course, take a hard rubber "Pelikan Nr.660 Füllflasche" with them. I have one here... I can’t say how old it is, but it seems to be especially made for traveling. I wish I could show it to you!

I've been eyeballing those chrome plated brass pill holders at the drugstore. They're kind of barrel shaped with a good O-ring seal. It looks to hold maybe a half ounce. I'd just like to have a little bit of ink with me at all times.

Noble Savage, those Visconti Ink pots look like the best way to go.

They are perfect BUT..... they are very expensive. As far as I am concerned, the ink pots are a wonderful investment if you do a lot of traveling!!

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Real collectors, of course, take a hard rubber "Pelikan Nr.660 Füllflasche" with them.

Well it certainly sounds official! :)

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

• 3 months later...
Real collectors, of course, take a hard rubber "Pelikan Nr.660 Füllflasche" with them. I have one here... I can’t say how old it is, but it seems to be especially made for traveling. I wish I could show it to you!

To celebrate the fact that I have a digital camera now, I’d like to revive this old thread. The picture may interest no only the Pelikan fans among us.

I’ve never really used this compact ink container. I probably would if I were sure that I could trust it.

post-36-1147723587_thumb.jpg

I use 2 Visconti Ink pots and I am considering a 3rd. These are wonderful gizmos to put ink into and to fill most of your pens and yes, travel. They fit perfectley in my 3 pen case and my 10 pen case along with the rest of my fountain pens. The big drawback is that they are costly and not all filling mechanisms are compatible with the inkpot.

TNS

Here is another vote for the Viscounti ink well. They work great and fit right in the pen case with my pens. I have also traveled with regualr bottles of ink w/o problems. I just keep them in my carry-on bag.

Jim

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

I can't imagine traveling without a good pen. And if you have a good pen, you have to have ink.

Along with the excellent suggestions listed here, I'd like to offer two more.

1) Add "purchase ink" to your list of things to do. It will take you to places you might not have found otherwise. Most of the places I travel are well established and some form of ink can be found in most office supply stores. If your travel is long enough to warrant a refill, it is probably long enough to warrant a $10 bottle of ink. (what priorities we have!! :blush: )

2) Break down and use cartridges. They travel nicely and seem very sturdy. Not a perfect solution - but it does keep the pen writing! :lol:

As many have done before me, I've carried ink bottles wrapped in plastic and a towel. I always pack with the assumption that the bottle will break - they never have though.

Good luck! And enjoy your travels! B)

"It's a .... poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."

-- Andrew Jackson

I wonder if there is a correlation betweeh how air tight the cap is onto the nib and how bad it leaks, i've traveled with my Lamy Safari in my pocket all the time, and it doesnt leak full, partially full,etc. I believe this pen is more airtight than most other pens.

Oh yeah and traveling, i mean by air and cartwheels :P

Edited by Dudley

Out of thin air, quote of the moment (6/1/06): "boredom leads to creativity, as compulsion leads to innovation"

-Name your kids dudley, cause the name is feeling a little deprived =P

I've made countless flights with Lamy Safaris with various levels of ink in them. None of them has ever leaked. However, I do empty all other pens just in case. ;)

I have one of the Visconti inkpots as well - wonderful device and since I got it, I don't carry bottled ink anymore. The Visconti lives in my briefcase.