Montblanc Agatha Christie

Bryant

Initial Impression: 9/10

This was my first Writers Edition and my first high end Modern Pen. I have had it for almost a year, but am just getting to the review now... Before this pen I didn’t have much interest in Modern Montblancs. I was way to into Viscontis and vintage Crescents, Overlays and Safeties. I always liked the vintage Montblanc Safeties with the snake clips and was able to get one. It turned out leaky and a mess. Plus the pictures did not show all the oxidation of it. So I was a little turned off. After I sent it back, I had decided to keep to what I knew. Then there is was. Just like the vintage one I wanted with out all the issues that safeties can give you. So I added to my list. Then one day, I took the plunge! Sold I think 8 overlay pens to get it. At the time I thought it would be clever to bid on one that didn’t have a box, because… Who needs the box, when I can save money… In retrospect I paid close to what this pen goes for today with a box… Oh well, if I had gotten one with a box, I wouldn’t get the unique nib I have with this one… PS… I was going to bid on

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=003

But $275? Really? Is it worth that much? Am I the only sane person here? Anyway back to the review… The only reason its not a 10 is that I am missing its box, and by the looks of prices, I will never own it! :headsmack:

post-6300-1214362262_thumb.jpg

Look/Finish: 10/10

So the look is a take off the vintage Montblanc safeties. It says Montblanc Meisterstuck Edition. The Snake Clip is Sterling Silver and the eyes are rubies. I love how the snowflake resembles the vintage ones, with size and color. It’s a little off white to give that vintage look. The Proust and this have this in common. Agatha Christie’s Signature is on the top of the cap in white. The two tone 18k gold nib is my favorite of any pen yet. It of course has the snake as well.

post-6300-1214362268_thumb.jpg

post-6300-1214362276_thumb.jpg

post-6300-1214362281_thumb.jpg

post-6300-1214362291_thumb.jpg

Feel/Balance: 10/10

This pen has great balance and feels great posted. The clip is also low enough on the cap that the bottom of the pen does not push the pen out of my pocket which is important because that’s where I keep my every day writers. This pen has been good for me for long periods of time and quick notes. Its very versatile.

Filling System10/10 Nib: 10/10

The filling system is a Piston filler so it gets a 10. But like its brothers it has an ink window. This to me is fantastic because I like to see when I am getting low on ink. I think that’s why its one of my daily users… That and it looks ridiculously cool!

The nib is a medium, but it kind of feels like what a stub would feel like, but it does not look like the pictures of stubs I have seen. But on the other hand, I have never owned a stub… I just know I love how it writes. I has a little give and nice line variation when you want it.

post-6300-1214362305_thumb.jpg

post-6300-1214362313_thumb.jpg

Price/Value: 9/10

This pen was not cheap, but I don’t regret it. I feel I got what I paid for. From the day I sniped it to today I have been extremely happy with it. I gave it an 9 because I can be cheap…

post-6300-1214362318_thumb.jpg

post-6300-1214362335_thumb.jpg

post-6300-1214362344_thumb.jpg

Overall: 9½/10

This was my first “Grail”, yes I know I have too many grails… It may be unhealthy!

This was also my fist expensive Modern pen, and not that I haven’t gotten anything that compares quality/coolness. Its just it was the first Montblanc true love, My first Writers Edition… I guess you could say this pen started the madness, before this pen had no interest in Writers Edition pens! Cheeky Agatha! So this pen will always have a place in my heart…

post-6300-1214362297_thumb.jpg

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bryant

• goodguy

• georges zaslavsky

• clickiechick

That's one very attractive Mont Blanc

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

Again, great photos! I especially like the one of the nib in the foreground and the cap with snake clip in the background, in line. Well done!

I had to read the part about $275 carefully. I was thinking, WOW, did you get a fantastic deal! But I see that it's $275 for the box only. Pffffft! I threw my boxes away! (I have the Agatha Christie BP and a Hemingway FP.)

I love the ruby eyes!

I've been enjoying your reviews and photography!

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

That's one very attractive Mont Blanc

It is for sure! It is and always will be one of my favorites.

Great review, thanks!

Thanks!

Again, great photos! I especially like the one of the nib in the foreground and the cap with snake clip in the background, in line. Well done!

I had to read the part about $275 carefully. I was thinking, WOW, did you get a fantastic deal! But I see that it's $275 for the box only. Pffffft! I threw my boxes away! (I have the Agatha Christie BP and a Hemingway FP.)

I love the ruby eyes!

I've been enjoying your reviews and photography!

Thanks again! I appreciate all your kind words...

Isnt that crazy about the box? I couldn't believe it... :unsure: I guess if I really need money, and I don't want to sell any pens I can sell the boxes! :headsmack:

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Yeah. Another great pen review. Thank you. Thank you. It is one of their best designs based on simplicity and few embellishments yet making a pen with great presence. Less is more, much more.

Wonder if the box and papers had a dealer's stamp? Could be worth it for someone to pass off a fake as genuine and make a profit. Not that a pen a complex as the Agatha Christie would be easy or even profitable (?) to fake.

Yeah. Another great pen review. Thank you. Thank you. It is one of their best designs based on simplicity and few embellishments yet making a pen with great presence. Less is more, much more.

Thanks Brian, I agree 100%, less is more sometimes.

Wonder if the box and papers had a dealer's stamp? Could be worth it for someone to pass off a fake as genuine and make a profit. Not that a pen a complex as the Agatha Christie would be easy or even profitable (?) to fake.

I dont know, maybe... But like you said, it would be really, really hard to fake an Agatha...

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

This pen is a beauty in desguise with its black body and silver (snake) clip but to be honest I'd take the dumas anyday over this pen but thats me.

Thanks Bryant for the review.

Respect to all

This pen is a beauty in desguise with its black body and silver (snake) clip but to be honest I'd take the dumas anyday over this pen but thats me.

Thanks GG! I know you love your Dumas... I think you will get yours soon! :rolleyes:

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Thanks GG! I know you love your Dumas... I think you will get yours soon! :rolleyes:

:puddle:

Respect to all

interesting collectible but unfortunately way out of my price range. MB s LE are too pricey for me, they are however very well made pens.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

interesting collectible but unfortunately way out of my price range. MB s LE are too pricey for me, they are however very well made pens.

I think if you look a little you can find that you can get some "good" deals on some of these pens...

I just saw this pen with box and papers sell on pentrace for 850... Now that's not cheap by any stretch, but for a limited edition pen that's 15 years old, plus this one had a broad Oblique nib... That's nothing compare to what they sell for on ebay...

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Maybe someone can answer this for me - I'm an avid Christie fan, read all her books by age 15...but I don't get the snake. It's been a while, but I just can't place a snake of prominence anywhere in her body of works.

On the pen, it's gorgeous...but I think it's out of place as being "representative" of her in any substantial way. It's not like Montblanc's Kafka cockroach, not by any stretch.

P.S. I am enjoying your reviews and pics, Bryant.

Wassup wid that, homes? Looks like you're WANT to feel the hurt. -ethernautrix

• 5 years later...

I know your review is a few years old, but thanks for posting it, and especially for the photos. I had one back in 2000 or so and sold it, and I've regretted it ever since. It was an amazing writer, one I won't soon forget, and if I recall correctly I much preferred to use it with the cap not posted. That's unusual for me, as I have huge potato fingers and generally write with even my M1000 posted. Thanks again.

This reference is a bit obscure, but the boomslang, a venomous snake growing to about 5 feet in length was featured in AC's 1935 novel "Death in the Clouds". Apart from featuring Hercule Poirot, I do not believe either the book itself or the snake reference to be iconic AC (as are The Mousetrap and Murder on the Orient Express). I leave it to the literary scholars among us to correct that perception. Nonetheless, the clip is a fair representation of a boomslang.

Well now...., MB may get away with featuring a train on a pen clip but replacing the clip with a mousetrap would be a little over the top, don't you think?

Hmmm... a murder mystery on board an aircraft, featuring snake venom. How prescient of AC to have foretold "Snakes on a Plane". :)

In other news, I must say I thought a boomslang was a fictional creature, featured in Harry Potter books as a key ingredient of Polyjuice Potion.

Live a day, learn a fact.

• 1 year later...