Top Posters In This Topic

• Have Fun

• Johnny Appleseed

• Wahlnut

• kudzu

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes

The Oxford was a line of pens made by Wahl/Eversharp

Good looking pens, they were thought to be a lower priced line. These are lever fillers and I believe they also came in other filling systems.

I hope this helps.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/wahl%20eversharp%20pens/DSC_0015-1.jpg

Phil

Edited by philm

They also made a twist-fill-with-breather-tube filling mechanism (like a vacumatic, but you twist a button at the end rather than press it) which can be a pain to restore. Some really nice celluloid though.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

I'm not sure whether the Wahl "Oxford" pens were in production before the Wahl Eversharp alliance

The model I have is called Wahl Oxford engraved on clip with Eversharp engraved on the barrel - also the clip is different to the above photos & set higher

Wahl Eversharp dates to roughly 1915-1917, when Charles Keeran, the Eversharp inventor, allied with and then was taken over by Wahl (then the Wahl Adding Machine Company). Wahl only got into the pen business when they bought out Boston Safety in 1916, and Charles Keeren was forced out of Wahl-Eversharp in 1917. It is a sad and sordid tale typical of many of the early pen companies.

The Oxfords date to the 1930s - at least 15-20 years later.

For more on the history of Eversharp - "A Tale of Two Pencils" at VintagePens.com (note that the first part is about a Japanese "Eversharp" pen that is unrelated to Charles Keeran's pencil).

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Thanks John

Obviously the other way around

Any idea why the name "Oxford" was chosen ? I've thought of the UK university as well as Clothing of the era -Oxford bags etc

For clarity. Wahl and Eversharp were never two companies (legal entities) rather they were always one company with 2 distinct product lines. They did in the beginning as Johnny points out start with the name Eversharp 'cause they only made and sold mechanical pencils. After the purchase of the assets from Boston Safety Pen Company they made and sold fountain pens under the Wahl name. Early display cases and display trays are sand blasted or sild screened with the words "Eversharp Pencil" and "Wahl Pen" on the same glass with the words underneath "Write Hand Companions".

Seems the company was not sure they wanted to take the risk of tainting the Eversharp name which represented the hugely successful mechanical pencil business that had come to Wahl over the first 3 years of being in the pencil business with the unknown results of the (new at the time) self filling fountain pen products they were embarking on making and selling. So the fountain pens were "Wahl Pens" and the Pencils stayed "Eversharp". With the succeess of the Wah pens, over the time span that Johnny also points out, the names started to appear together more and more and became the media trademark at least (with a hyphen). The Company remained the Wahl Company throughout. In the mid to late (sorry away from archives this week so working from memory - dangerous) the company changed its registration and legal name to Eversharp, Inc. So it was always one company with various product lines.

The Oxford name was used a number of times prior to the Wahl Oxford pens being mentioned in this thread. The Flat tops of the '20s also had Oxford names and pocket clips, on some models, for example. Wahl or Eversharp (in later years) used the word "Oxford" seems to denote a "student" model pen. Many new old stock Gregg or Palmer Method pens that were not delivered to Gregg or Palmer students in the '20s due to end of contract situations,were made into "Oxfords" in those days and sold as student (less expensive) models.

Because the making of a pen with the words Wahl Oxford on it would not identify the maker, Wahl or by that time Eversharp, Inc. added the words "Made by the Makers of Eversharp" or similar language to make sure people knoew it came from a proud heritage and also I think to trade on the higher connection to the better pen.

Similarly, Famous Grouse scotch is proud to say that it is a blend of Macallan, single malts. Sure makes me feel better about buying Famous Grouse.

Syd

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

I just bought a beater Wahl Oxford for what I hope is a nice nib. It arrived today. It's like the green celluloid pen pictured above except the words on my barrel are imprinted the other way! There's no name on the clip (but it's very brassed) but the barrel says, " WAHL OXFORD/MADE IN USA/BY THE MAKERS OF/EVERSHARP." Has a Wahl #2 nib. It's soaking, nib-down, in a bath now.

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

I just bought a beater Wahl Oxford for what I hope is a nice nib. It arrived today. It's like the green celluloid pen pictured above except the words on my barrel are imprinted the other way! There's no name on the clip (but it's very brassed) but the barrel says, " WAHL OXFORD/MADE IN USA/BY THE MAKERS OF/EVERSHARP." Has a Wahl #2 nib. It's soaking, nib-down, in a bath now.

Would be nice to see a writing sample when you are ready (as well as a pen photo & nib details)

I've just ordered a new sac for mine - wish me luck - up to now I've only dipped & I hope to use this pen for a bit longer writing sessions

For clarity. Wahl and Eversharp were never two companies (legal entities) rather they were always one company with 2 distinct product lines.

Seems the company was not sure they wanted to take the risk of tainting the Eversharp name which represented the hugely successful mechanical pencil business that had come to Wahl over the first 3 years of being in the pencil business with the unknown results of the (new at the time) self filling fountain pen products they were embarking on making and selling. So the fountain pens were "Wahl Pens" and the Pencils stayed "Eversharp". With the succeess of the Wah pens, over the time span that Johnny also points out, the names started to appear together more and more and became the media trademark at least (with a hyphen). The Company remained the Wahl Company throughout. In the mid to late (sorry away from archives this week so working from memory - dangerous) the company changed its registration and legal name to Eversharp, Inc. So it was always one company with various product lines.

Because the making of a pen with the words Wahl Oxford on it would not identify the maker, Wahl or by that time Eversharp, Inc. added the words "Made by the Makers of Eversharp" or similar language to make sure people knoew it came from a proud heritage and also I think to trade on the higher connection to the better pen.

Similarly, Famous Grouse scotch is proud to say that it is a blend of Macallan, single malts. Sure makes me feel better about buying Famous Grouse.

Syd

Thanks for the info

If you want a tip on a tipple try Jura (but not one of their new concotions made for marketing)