Private Reserve Midnight Blues

JJBlanche

Attached below is an image of a writing sample with PR Midnight Blues, and below that, the review proper. Regarding the image, "lorem ipsum" is a nonsense language used by printers to showcase a font/color (ie: it takes focus away from content and puts it on aesthetics). The water test was performed by submerging and agitating a sample swatch of the given ink in reverse osmosis water for thirty seconds, then letting it drip dry.

A key has been added, written on Clairefontaine paper, with a number of different inks for reference.

Standard Disclaimer: Image provided only to give a general sense of the color. The vibrance and nuance are typically lost when an ink is digitized.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/748/prmidnighthz8.jpg

Review

When I write a review, I first focus on color, and award an ink 0 to 100 based upon that alone, separate from other considerations. I then deduct points from the color score for defects (ie: lack of flow, creep, etc), to arrive at an overall score.

Color

PR Midnight Blues is a nice, perhaps prototypical blue-black. In my pen, it comes off as “powdery” and dull, but I imagine a broader gauge would improve things.

Color Score = 85

Deductions

Midnight Blues didn’t perform horribly on the water test, but it left quite a bit to be desired.

Overall Score = 83

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JJBlanche

• Koyote

• CharlieB

• DeaconKC

Nice review! Thanks for including the comparisons with the other inks in the lower left hand corner.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

I just received a Pelikan 150 and a sample of this ink from JJ. What a great combination. But what was even better, was that it has really cured the skipping problem I had with a Waterman Harley Davidson FP I have. A writer with a very smooth nib, but fussy. This ink turned it into a superb writer.

Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.

There is no snooze button on a cat wanting breakfast.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 4 months later...

I loaded this ink in my Esterbrook with 9048 nib and I must say that I love the color!!

On the downside: this ink really feathers a lot in my moleskine and bleeds immensly through the pages... :(

I don't have any problems with Levenger ink. All my Noodler's ink bleed and feather a lot less then this PR...

Edited by Ellen
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png fpn_1315221373__inkdroplogofpn.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the color of this ink, too. But I must also say that I've had some fairly gnarly experiences with it on a lot of different papers: major feathering; bleed through; smearing. On Moleskine? No way. Made a mess for me (even in my fine point Visconti Viscontina). I hardly use it any more because of all this, despite the fact that it's one of my absolute favorite blues.

Bummer.

I love the MS Wordesque sample of writing! :roflmho:

Looks like a ink might have to pick up. I love blues.

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

This ink feathers & bleeds on a lot of different papers. When it doesn't, it's pretty awesome.

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

If you want a Private Reserve Black with a little more character, try Black Magic Blue. It's a bit darker and writes very smoothly in all my pens, water test is about the same though . . .

"Do your damnedest in an ostentatious matter all the time," General George S Patton

• 2 years later...

I found PR MB to be on the drier side compared to Aurora Black which was in a Pel 200 0.7mm IC a la Binder.

Check out this new flickr page for pen wraps

W He

i have this ink and i have flow issues in my lamys. love the color, but works good in specific pens

Nice color, however I find it temperamental and only works in wet pens.

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

I also experienced flow problems when it was in my TWSBI. I forget which pens it was in before, but this was the first time it (the ink and the pen) was finicky. Now the TWSBI is flowing well with an Omas Blue/PR American Blue mix and the PR Midnight is waiting in the wings.