Pilot-Namiki Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque

scrollpoint

Preface/Note to Moderators: This is my very first post. Please go easy on the newbie. Corrections welcome.

Given the numerous existing reviews on this pen, I hope I won't try your patience by submitting yet another review on this very same model. But this pen is of significance importance to me, since it is the very first real fountain pen I've had the pleasure of acquiring and using. So, I'm writing this review from the perspective of someone who is writing with a fountain pen for the first time. Hope you find it interesting. Thanks for your indulgence.

In the beginning...

When I walked into the store, I never even thought of looking at a Pilot Vanishing Point (VP). I was looking for a Lamy Logo. Since the Logo was small, relatively light, stylish, and affordable, I thought it would make a good first pen. Unfortunately, while the store carried the Lamy 2000, Studio, and Safari, it didn't have the Logo.

I browsed the other displays. When I got to the Pilot Pens, the VP caught my eye. The staffperson immediately took one out, inked it, blotted the tip, and put it in my hand. It only took a few scribbles. Ten minutes later, and I was walking out the door with a brand new Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque in my hand.

Money stuff: $120 (US Dollars) after sales tax and a 20% discount (pens were 20% off that week). Got a pack of 12 blue-black Pilot-Namiki cartridges for about $4.*

(*Purists may cringe, but I find cartridges convenient. I'm an amateur calligrapher who uses Sheaffer Calligraphy pens and Rotring ArtPens, so I'm more comfortable with using cartridges for now.)

Outside Look

The VP measures about 5.5 inches. With the nib extended, add another quarter inch. The body looks to be made of steel. The eye-catching finish (the "Carbonesque" part of the pen) covering 75% of the pen is a black laquer layer over flecks of material that--if I understand the marketing material correctly--is rhodium, a precious metal nine times the price of gold. Note that despite the "Carbonesque" name, the finish has nothing to do with carbon fibre or any other type of space age exotic material. I will admit that the Blue Carbonesque is more attractive than the Black Carbonesque, as the poll here confirms. However, I wanted to match my black and white Orient watch (pictures forthcoming), which is why I stuck with black. The finish imparts a warm, slightly-textured grip that is a pleasant contrast to that of a solid steel pen, such as the behemoth of the Parker Urban Jotter that I had the misfortune of getting. Anyone want a free heavy steel pen? Did I mention it's a ballpoint? (*Chirping Crickets*)

Speaking of weight, I am surprised at how light the pen is. While it won't be mistaken for an all plastic pen, the VP doesn't feel much heavier than my thin Cross Tech 3. The balance feels symmetrical; the gravitation and physical centers of the pen seem to coincide.

The Clip.

Ah, the clip. If there's one reason why you shouldn't buy this pen without trying it out first, this is it...

The clip is definitely a love-it-or-hate-it feature. On one hand, it's a stroke of design genius. By placing the clip upside down on the front end of the pen (the part closest to the paper), Pilot ensures that the user will intuitively store the pen in the nib-pointing-upwards position, preventing pen leaks from destroying a favorite shirt. The bad news is that the clip may interfere with your grip. And if it does, you're much better off saving money and grief by not getting this pen.

The Nib ("Vanishing Point")

I have to hand it to Pilot's North American marketing department. With words like "Carbonesque" and "Vanishing Point", you can't help but feel the sophistication ooze from the pen. (In its native Japan, the VP is called the "Capless", a more succinct, albeit less fancy moniker.)

Anyway, for those still haven't figured it out, the claim to fame for the "Vanishing Point" pen is its use of a retractable fountain pen nib. With one click, the nib extends out of the barrel. Another click and the nib retracts. Like the clip, but to a lesser degree, the retractable nib is an innovative design feature that has both passionate supporters and detractors.

On the plus side, the mechanism allows for convenient, one-handed operation of using the pen. If you push the button slowly while peering into the barrel opening, you can see a spring-activated portcullis (door, if you will) open to allow the nib to escape the barrel. Click again, and you can see the portcullis, like an inverted garage door, close as the nib retracts. This nib covering protects the nib from 1) drying out and 2) leaking ink out of the pen.

On the flip side, the push button mechanism takes away some of the "Old World/Good Old Days" look and feel that some enjoy when using traditional fountain pens. In terms of appearance, the presence of a push button makes the VP look like a typical retractable ball point, not a good thing for purists. It also doesn't help that the push button is oversized at 3/4 of an inch, nearly twice as long as most real ball point retractables. The extra length is a design necessity to provide extra leverage for the simultaneous extending of the nib and opening of the nib cover. The design compromise is that the clicker is easily noticable, however, so don't even try to try to pass off the VP as the "pen that your parents wrote with" if you're trying to impress someone into vintage pens.

For the records, as someone who is annoyed by pen caps that won't fit on the back end of the barrels (I just learned that the technical term for this action is "post"--thanks, FPN!), I'm in awe of the retractable nib. Go Namiki!*

(For those like me who are brand new to the fountain pen world: according to Wikipedia, the Pilot Pen Corporation used to be called the Namiki Manufacturing Company. As a result, the same line of pens is sold under different names depending on location. I've seen my pen called the Pilot Vanishing Point, Namiki Vanishing Point, or Namiki Capless. Confusing, eh?)

Writing

So now we come to the most important question of all: how does the VP write?

Here's my two-part answer...

From the more specialized (key word) perspective of someone who is used to standard calligraphy pens, the VP writing experience is underwhelming, even negative. The VP nib produces a monoline that doesn't change with pen angle or pen pressure. Any flex in the nib actually feels wrong because it feels like I'm going to break the pen. Compared to a quill, brush, or a Pilot Parallel that retails for a fifth of the VP's price, the VP doesn't feel all that special.

However, if I take off my amateur calligrapher's hat and respond as someone who has spent a lifetime writing with school-issued ballpoints, I have but one word for the VP writing experience: dreamy. I've loaned my VP to my closest friends (and they were very careful when handling it, especially when I told them the price tag...not that it would faze any veterans on this board) and here were the key words and phrases from their comments: buttery, smooth, silky, writes by itself, oooh, aaah, and I want one! One fountain pen aficianado was so taken by the blue-black color that she couldn't believe it came from a cartridge. People are amazed that they can write a line by simply dragging the nib along the paper and letting the weight of the VP do all the work.

Summary

If you want a smooth-writing fountain pen that doubles as a conversation piece, I recommend taking a look at the Pilot Vanishing Point series. Pluses include a highly smooth out-of-the-box writing experience, innovative retractable nib (which I believe is 18K gold), convenient cartridge system, and fancy carbonesque lacquering. Minuses include a non-traditional profile, small capacity ink converter that uses a a twist mechanism to suck up ink from a bottle if you don't like cartridges (but the mechanism takes up space so you have less room for ink), and a clip that may get in the way of your writing grip. One ambivalent opinion on pricing: the VP is in the hundred dollar range, which may not be the best investment for students or those who usually buy less expensive items and can't bear the thought of scratching, losing, or even using a pen that costs the equivalent of at least four dozen Papermate ballpoints. On the other hand, the VP is of solid, long-lasting construction and elegant design. I can easily see myself handing my VP down to my future kids and grandkids.

[Pics & Scans]

Here are some photos and scans of the VP and associated writing samples. My digital camera broke, so I apologize for the low-quality snaps taken with my cell phone camera. I'm new to uploading scans, so I apologize for any artifacts in the scans due to high compression rates to keep the file sizes small. Thanks!

My Vanishing Point. The good-looking photo is from Pilot's one page PDF.

post-17081-1212786659_thumb.jpg

post-17081-1212786699_thumb.jpg

For comparison purposes: my VP (center) with my other two workhorse pens, a Cross Tech3 Ballpoint (top) and OfficeMax TUL Gel Pen (bottom):

post-17081-1212786821_thumb.jpg

Writing samples from 1) Cross Tech3 Ballpoint, 2) OfficeMax TUL Gel Pen, and 3) VP:

post-17081-1212785690_thumb.jpg

post-17081-1212785728_thumb.jpg

post-17081-1212785808_thumb.jpg

Comparison writing samples between my Pilot Parallel Calligraphy Pen and VP:

post-17081-1212785937_thumb.jpg

post-17081-1212785988_thumb.jpg

Sample writing with my VP. Pardon the improper lead spacing. It's only been a few weeks since I've taken up learning Spencerian. Thanks to those who contributed to this post about writing a long sentence with difficult words.

post-17081-1212786199_thumb.jpg

post-17081-1212786233_thumb.jpg

Scribbles done by simply dragging the VP back and forth like an inker on a seismograph (earthquake detector) or polygraph (lie detector). A demonstration of how smoothly the nib dispenses the ink with pressure solely from the weight of the pen. Good luck trying to do this with a ballpoint or gel pen.

post-17081-1212786426_thumb.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this review. I enjoyed posting it!

Note: When I posted this article, there are two duplicate attachments on the bottom of the post that don't show up in the edit window or preview window. If anyone knows how to remove them, please let me know. Thanks!

post-17081-1212785460_thumb.jpg

post-17081-1212786285_thumb.jpg

Edited by scrollpoint

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kiavonne

• scrollpoint

• cl0123

• Pen2009

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice review of what has become one of my favorite workhorse pens! When you are ready for a bit of a plunge, buy a nib unit only from Richard Binder and have it customized with a bit of flex and a cursive italic grind. :D

And you're the first I know of that incorporated every thought suggestion into the Difficult Words "sentence." I still think "syzygy" was the result of someone thinking, "muahahahahahahaha!" It's even hard to type.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Oh damn! I absolutely love your handwriting! I have my favorites styles among these and I have to say that the sample on the bottom of the first sample I'm not too crazy about.

But the others.....OMG! I'm totally falling in love with them just by looking at them every second.

You have to post more. I'm not asking you I'm telling you because they're so drop dead gorgeous, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who's drool on their keyboard right about now...... XD

Did I say that I envy you? Well if not now you know! XD

I need to go practice now.

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/th_sau22.jpg.gif

Fountain Pens and the lot rule!

Don't underestimate them!

Great review! I like your emphasis on the writing, which I believe no one else has done with this pen.

I look forward to more reviews from you, I hope!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

An excellent review. Thanks for making the effort. Nice handwriting too.

Welcome to FPN. And thank you for a meaningful review.

I personally do not use VP's. I have a service-connected disability in my good right hand and I cannot grip the pen well at all owing to the placement of the clip. I have written with several, and they do write excellently.

I appreciate your emphasis on the writing ability of the pen. That is the point of a pen, after all.

Great review...can i have your handwriting? :P Didn't know it was a calligrapy pen too..

I have a VP since a few weeks (a blue carbonesque). I love the pen...i already ordered a second one (found someone who sold the orange limited edition). I'm sure i'll buy more of them..its one of my favorite pens.

Nice review!

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Nice review, indeed--and welcome to FPN! Glad to see another VP enthusiast in the crowd.

Clearly you have a strong appreciation for line variation. Do you know of Richard Binder's custom VP nibs? If not, definitely check them out here: Specialty Nibs. I have a 0.6mm stub nib of his that is a true pleasure to write with. It's the best of both worlds--modern pen technology and wonderful line variation. :D

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Nice review and welcome aboard.

A couple of points for you - there is a website dedicated to Vanishing Points, "rivera pens" is how it sounds but not how its spelt, anyway they have some great material on VP for you to have a look at - google it, you should find it.

There are many variations of VP's out there, a lot like Japenese cars, many models, often confusing as the bits seem to get swapped seemingly at random so its hard to know what you get when you acquire one, but most of the VP nibs are 14 k gold, the limited editions are 18k but also tend to be plated with a white metal (not white gold), the carbonesque material is actually based on Japanese kasuri, kimono (cloth) material that has been wrapped and bound in resin...whether or not it actually is kasuri or not is another point.

Finally carts are great, easy to use and useful - but please do try and give bottle ink a go, its better for the environment for one thing, its cheaper in the long run, and there is a certain zen like pleasure in refilling a pen (for me, at least).

Welcome (love your handwriting too!)

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Many thanks to all for your kind words!

My responses to your comments below...

lefty928, thank you for being the first to read my rather long review and comment on it.

kiavonne, thanks for the advice, although I've been told to watch out for people like you. :D First the Binderdized nib; then the Namiki Falcon for the more classic look; then the next thing I know, it's the Namiki Maki-e Butterfly and Chrysanthemum in exchange for my first-born. I do want to retire with at least some money left in my savings account, you know. :) And like you, I find "syzygy"to be confusing to write and type. I'm tempted to use it as a computer password, but that's just asking for trouble.

misterh, thanks for your positive comment.

Glow Worm88, thanks for your enthusiastic comments. I completely agree with you--I posted the rather ugly writing sample to demonstrate that I had a difficult time adjusting to the pen. To paraphrase Yoda from Star Wars, I had much to unlearn. Once I learned how to alter my grip and writing style, writing with the Vanishing Point became more fun.

Thanks for the comments on my handwriting. I'll probably post more samples in the "The Write Stuff" or "Penmanship" subforums when the chance arises.

langere/Erick, thanks for the insightful comment. I'm more of a user than a collector. (Although that may change as I spend more time here--darn you enablers!) I didn't note this in the review, but I do use my VP on a daily basis. I'm running the risk of scratching it (sigh), but it's a small price to pay to use such a well-made pen with an understated design that doesn't scream "bling!". In fact, when it's clipped in my pocket, it looks like a regular ballpoint, if you don't pay too much attention to the over-sized push button.

AndyHayes, thanks for your comment!

FrankB, I'm welcomed by your welcome. :) Thank you for supporting my review statement that the position of the clip will not work for everyone. I strongly suggest that no one buy the Vanishing Point sight unseen because the clip is truly a make-or-break factor. Therefore, think twice before getting this as a graduation present for someone else, especially if the receiver is not a fountain pen person. You really don't want the first experience with a fountain pen to be a bad one.

GeeTee, your comment suddenly reminded me of that Futurama episode ("The Devil’s Hands Are Idle Playthings") where Fry, in order to improve his dexterity, gets his hands transplanted with those of the Robot Devil. Oh, you wanted my handwriting. Sorry, it's not for sale. Besides, you would get ripped off no matter what price you paid. :) The VP is not a calligraphy pen, which is actually a good thing. Calligraphy pens actually don't last long in their out-of-the-box states. The nibs need to be resharpened or else the writing won't look as crisp. The VP wasn't designed to produce calligraphic strokes, so I won't have to worry about the nib going bad. (*Crosses fingers*)

Dillo/Dillon, thanks for your comment!

MYU, thanks for your comments and I'm glad you're enjoying your Binderized nib! (*Eyes MYU suspiciously...have you been talking with kiavonne? :D*) It may be a while before I make another pen-related investment, having spent three times as much as I intended (the Lamy Logo I wanted retails for $40). But I've heard only good things about Richard Binder, so he will be on the top of my list when I want a flex point.

Shelley, thanks for referring me to the dedicated VP site. I found it here: Rivera Fountain Pens. Lots of great information. I'll correct my review to reflect the change from 18K to 14K (Update: I can't find the edit button. Maybe it's too late to make corrections to my original post.) Thanks for the elucidation on the "carbonesque'ing" process. I am going through cartridges at a rather rapid pace: from every other week to every three days. I'm saving the cartridges to see if I can refill them by syringe, but it may be easier to simply get a bottle and use the converter. Thanks for your advice!

Edited by scrollpoint

kiavonne, thanks for the advice, although I've been told to watch out for people like you. :D First the Binderdized nib; then the Namiki Falcon for the more classic look; then the next thing I know, it's the Namiki Maki-e Butterfly and Chrysanthemum in exchange for my first-born. I do want to retire with at least some money left in my savings account, you know. :) And like you, I find "syzygy"to be confusing to write and type. I'm tempted to use it as a computer password, but that's just asking for trouble.

Ack! You've been warned about me? Well, um. Yeah, I guess that's a good thing. ;)

I'm saving the cartridges to see if I can refill them by syringe, but it may be easier to simply get a bottle and use the converter. Thanks for your advice!

Yes, yes you can. This is exactly what I do with my VP's. The two I ordered from Japan actually came with an empty cartridge installed, along with a regular cartridge and a converter. I emptied cartridges for my other 3 VP's, and I refill all of them with a syringe. I just avoid the temptation to squeeze the cartridges to start a new ink flowing. The ink makes it through to the nib on its own well enough.

The one thing I did do was to take the advice of HDoug here, and that is I lightly waxed (with car wax) the metal of the nib units just above the nib to avoid having any creeping inks sneak up into the assembly and pen body. Works well.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

• 10 months later...

Many have said this before, but I just need to tell you that your penmanship is absolutely stunning. I literally am speechless. I tried this pen out a few days ago and I was in awe of how smooth it was. Before this pen, I was trying out a Cross C-Series and a Sailor 1911. They are decent pens, but they both felt a little scratchy. Upon telling this to the owner of the pen store I was at (Ed Hamilton at Century Pens in Chicago, if you're ever in town, GO THERE) he suggested I try the vanishing point. As far as smoothness is concerned, this thing was on par with a new MB 5 times more expensive. A truly wonderful pen.

Currently Inked:

Lamy Safari - Noodlers Zhivago

Totally fun and interesting review. I like the two points of view: that of a calligrapher and then that of a ball pen user. Nice handwriting too.

Nice handwriting and nice review, thanks!

Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use

MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)

MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)

Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)

Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)

Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)

S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

• 2 months later...

Does it come with a "VP twist converter" as part of the package? By looking at the picture of this twist converter, it looks it does not hold much ink in there.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)