Info wanted on Pelikan Nib

feiye

Hi guys, I'm hoping to pick at your collective brains and superior knowledge here :D

I bought a second hand M800 (green stripe barrel) yesterday and it is in marvelous condition, ie. looks new. When I had a closer look at the nib, other than some white marks/stains on the feed, on closer inspection I saw that the Medium nib was actually 20C/833 gold! I have never seen nor even heard of a 20kt Pelikan nib. I was hoping someone else could shed some light on this?

I'm assuming these nibs came on M800 pens. Any idea of when they were made and if they were for a special edition or something? I'm now just smiling at this windfall, the original owner didn't even know their pen had a 20kt nib on it and was genuinely surprised when I contacted them about it!

Thanks in advance!

In rotation:

Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji

Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue

Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• feiye

• KCat

• Ray-Vigo

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, I'm hoping to pick at your collective brains and superior knowledge here :D

I bought a second hand M800 (green stripe barrel) yesterday and it is in marvelous condition, ie. looks new. When I had a closer look at the nib, other than some white marks/stains on the feed, on closer inspection I saw that the Medium nib was actually 20C/833 gold! I have never seen nor even heard of a 20kt Pelikan nib. I was hoping someone else could shed some light on this?

I'm assuming these nibs came on M800 pens. Any idea of when they were made and if they were for a special edition or something? I'm now just smiling at this windfall, the original owner didn't even know their pen had a 20kt nib on it and was genuinely surprised when I contacted them about it!

Thanks in advance!

Try to visit this site and maybe you'll find more information. Else, contact Mr. Werner via email usually he replies to questions regarding Pelikan's. He is also knowlegeable with Pel's. http://www.ruettinger-web.de

best wishes

Hi,

20K Pelikan nibs are only made for the Asian market to compete with the 21K Sailor nibs.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

An aside- is there any real benefit to 20 or 21 rather than the usual 14? Or 18 for that matter? I own a number of gold nibs, and they're all 14k. I haven't actually owned or used long-term anything higher. I have had a few chances to test higher stuff, but I didn't notice any real difference. That could just be me though.

Edited by Ray-Vigo

An aside- is there any real benefit to 20 or 21 rather than the usual 14? Or 18 for that matter? I own a number of gold nibs, and they're all 14k. I haven't actually owned or used long-term anything higher. I have had a few chances to test higher stuff, but I didn't notice any real difference. That could just be me though.

IMO, only in the mind of the user. Not that I mind my 18K or 21K nibs, but they don't have any particular advantage that I can see. They have some slight disadvantage if you're into customizing in that folks like Richard Binder won't (or prefers not to, can't recall for sure) add flex to an 18K nib (presumably then, a 21K nib). You'd have to check his site for an explanation.

My 21K nibs feel a little "softer" than 14K. BUT, they are not Pelikan nibs and that springyness may be due to the design, not the gold content.

I think it's largely about what is perceived as "quality". Just my .02

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Thanks for the info everyone, especially Dillon.

In rotation:

Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji

Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue

Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

Hi,

There is improved corrosion resistance and also some extra bragging rights, but the nibs are a little unpredictable when you are talking about flex, adjustments, and things like that.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• 10 months later...

Thanks in advance!

HI Feye

I bought one yesterday that was a new M800 green/black with the same nib.

There are few around from what I can see.

Are you still enjoying it??

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)