Someone please tell me about Montblanc's Iron gall

Blade Runner

Is it their blue black?

Is there a non iron gall blue black MB ink?

What is it for? Permanency?

Any downsides?

Thanks,

J

Edited by jeen

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• Blade Runner

• J. John Harvey

• Yuri

Hi Jeen,

Montblanc manufactures a single iron gall ink, namely Permanent Blue Black. And yes it is used for permanency, as it is waterproof once dry.

The downside is that it is acidic, and after several decades starts eating away at paper, I think.

As far as I am aware, there is a non-permanent, non-iron gall MB Blue Black as well. I'll see if I can get hold of a bottle next week or so, and compare the two.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

Edited by wimg

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeen,

Apologies, for I was mistaken. To be exact: Parker makes a permanent BB and a washable BB, while Montblanc only makes a permanent Blue Black. I actually checked several vendors, and ended up peeking at a vendor's catalogue for Montblanc :D, and yes, there is only one Blue Black in their catalogue: the permanent Blue Black (one of seven inks and if I remember correctly, it is #2 of 7 :D).

Anyway, sorry for the confusion I caused.

One remark, though, concerning this ink, and all vendors told me this, so I guess there is at least a kernel of truth here.

If you use this ink, make sure the pen never ever dries out, and make sure you write with it very, very regularly. This is currently the #1 clogging fountain pen ink, to a degree that you could well destroy a feed and pen when leaving this stuff to dry up in a pen.

It has a very low pH, just over 1, so very acid, and contains lots of nasty particles (from the iron gall).

I think I'll refrain from using it now completely... :D

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Wim,

Thank you for the follow-up.

What is puzzling me is that I saw a Mont Blanc blue black specifically marked "iron gall" at a pen shop, but elsewhere, the blue black is only marked "permanent". I assume from your message that they are the same. Perhaps the packaging are of different periods. I sent a query about this to the MB refill shop. If there is additional information, i will pass it on in this thread.

Cheers,

Jeen

Hi Jeen,

They are the same, although not the same packaging.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

The very first bottle of ink I ever bought (fountain pen ink) was Mont Blanc Blue Black, permanent - for documents. : )

I washed my notebook paper just to see, and the lines went away; the ink stayed. Although I found it to be more of a lightish blue than a true blue-black.

I think I may switch my pen back to this ink for a bit. Or I'll just try to find my Waterman bottle somewhere in that black hole where I sleep and write random bits of nothing...

Edited by J. John Harvey

Actually, I revise my opinion. I had filled my pen with Mont-Blanc Blue-black permanent ink and it was so scratchy, I thought I'd die. And the flow didn't keep up with my flourishes. I switched to Aurora Black.

I make a pseudo-ferrogallic ink by mixing Noodler's Eternal Black with Waterman's Blue Black. It looks awesome. It's cheap as heck and free flowing too.

Edward t.

"I had not the time to write a short one."

-Blaise Pascal

Wim,

you said that Parker makes permanent and washable blue blacks.

I beleive it does produce only one BB (washable?) nowdays. Parker did two variants, but not any more. Did you ment vintage inks? Any comments?

Once we are on Montblanc BB topic. I have it and Lamy BB two. I can not find any difference between these two inks, ether in color and writing properties, and they are some kind of water proof. I would not say that they are bad flowing inks, but when you write with them (inks), there is feeling like you use pencil (chalky), like any absence of lubrication, though inks supply coming out of pen similar seems similar to other inks (to name one Waterman Florida Blue). Pelikan BB has similar fell to MB and Lamy but to less degree. To reitereate what I said, I'd say these BBs are not actually less flowing inks, but because of te chalky feel they provide an impression as dry writing inks.

Does anybody share my experience?

I actually do find it to be less well-flowing, since the Blue-black cannot keep up to my flourishes, whereas Florida Blue and Aurora Black can.

Wim,

you said that Parker makes permanent and washable blue blacks.

I beleive it does produce only one BB (washable?) nowdays. Parker did two variants, but not any more. Did you ment vintage inks? Any comments?

Hi Yuri,

They told me at the store where they pulled out the Montblanc retailer's book. I would have to check to see if they have both or not. I didn't pay too much attention, because I don't really use PQ BB, or any other Parker inks, normally anyway. I only have a "normal" Parker Quink Blue Black, not the permanent version. Ok, I guess it is not entirely true that I don't use it. I have 1 single pen inked with it currently, for priming purposes (just to make a change from WM BB), but it is the first time in > 20 years I use this ink. :D

I think the people at the shop said there were 3 permanent Parker Quink inks, but I would have to re-check that also. I'll come back on this later (just gimme a few days :D).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Hi Jeen,

Blue-black inks on decent paper (Strathmore 25% cotton):

http://hendrie.smugmug.com/photos/52930565-M.jpg

original 300 ppi scan

Blue-black inks on cheap and flimsy Office Depot composition book paper:

http://hendrie.smugmug.com/photos/52930563-M.jpg

original 300 ppi scan

I bought Montblanc Blue-Black out of fascination with the bottle, and the intrigue of ferro-gallic ink. It's become my standard work ink, in a Lamy Safari. I've heard enough about clogging to keep it in an inexpensive and easily-cleaned pen, and in frequent use.

Much like Noodler's Black, Montblanc Blue-Black seems absolutely featherproof. It writes consistently even on the cheapest paper.

It's similar in color to Pelikan Blue-Black, but a bit more saturated. In the wet-writing Safari, it's flows smoothly and consistently, and seems to lubricate well. It does tend to creep onto the nib, leaving dark blue puddles on either side of the slit.

Pelikan Blue-Black is an old favourite, first encountered in the form of Cross cartridges for my ATX. It's quite unsaturated, but now that I write pages and pages every day, I find the calmer colors restful. Shading is particularly nice, and I enjoy how it looks with this Binder stub.

Waterman Blue-Black is fairly new to me, but I'm rapidly growing to like it.

Regards,

Christopher

Christopher,

Thank you very much for the scans.

It's nice to see the 3 BBs together for comparison.

I like the more saturated MB BB and absence of feathering.

As a follow-up, the customer service rep at Mont Blanc said to flush your pen every 4 weeks when using BB.

Regards,

Jeen

Christofer,

I like your scans, the inks look very close to real ink as saw them in real life. Just My MB BB looks more closer to Pelikan BB, right between Pelikan and MB in your scan even closer to Pelican. All other are just from reallity. Great! In my experience Lamy BB inks are so similar to MB BB that some times I can not distinguish them. And yes Lamy BB are waterproof to some degree too.

Christopher,

Thanks for the great scans. I have a question though; how does your Aurora Optima compare to your Pelikan M800 in terms of nib smoothness, weight, and girth?

Thanks,

Edward

"I had not the time to write a short one."

-Blaise Pascal

Christopher,

Thanks for the great scans.  I have a question though; how does your Aurora Optima compare to your Pelikan M800 in terms of nib smoothness, weight, and girth?

I've opined at length on the M800 in a previous review: M800 vs. Balance

I plan to write a capsule review of the Aurora sometime soon.

Ergonomically, I much prefer the Aurora Optima. Girth is similar, and the Aurora is shorter and substantially lighter. I usually prefer longer pens, but somehow the Aurora just feels right, posted of course. The Aurora grip section is longer, with less obtrusive threads, so much more comfortable to me. Pelikan is back-heavy when posted (perhaps due to the brass piston); Aurora is balanced.

Nib comparisons aren't very meaningful, because the Aurora is an M, and the Pelikan is an EF. Both have a fair amount of "tooth", and started out moderately dry in flow (they seem to be 'loosening up' a bit with time and Waterman ink, so they may end up wetter).

C