Lamy Linea Squares

theblackpen

I've always wondered why this pen doesn't get too much attention, so when the time was right,I bought it.After all, it was Lamy.Made in Germany .I was sure that I won't go wrong with this one.

First thoughts

The pen comes in a small cardboard box,that when opened ,reveals a simple writing instrument.Nothing fancy about it.My initial impression was that this is a high-end school pen.

Appearance/finish

The Linea comes in three finishes: herringbone,stripes and squares,the one I've picked.

The body is made out of aluminum with a stainless steel clip with "LAMY" engraved on it.

Simple yet modern design.A pen for the active,always on the run FP user.

Size/weight

At 0.9cm(0.4 inch) in diameter,13.5cm(5.3 inches) capped,16cm(6.3 inches) posted, the Lamy is a slim,slender pen.The body is long enough for comfortable writing,but I've found that posting adds extra balance to this light-weight pen.What probably could be a source for discomfort is the even thinner grip section.At 0.8cm(0.3 inch) this will be difficult to get used to,even for people with small hands.This is the first pen that gave me the writer's cramp.

The Nib

The Linea comes with the standard Lamy interchangeable steel nib.The EF that I've chosen wrote straight away with no problems.Smooth,no skipping,with a touch of feedback.Using Waterman Black,the line is somewhere between F and EF,with 5/10 on a wetness scale.

Final thoughts...

At 28.50 Euros(44 USD) the MSRP being 33 Euros(51 USD) this Lamy is worth the money,but without entering the "great value for the price" category.

A nice,nearly indestructible pen,that doesn't require too much attention.If you're looking for a simple ,reliable writing instrument,the Linea will do the job.

post-5878-1212181215_thumb.jpg

post-5878-1212181313_thumb.jpg

post-5878-1212181324_thumb.jpg

post-5878-1212181331_thumb.jpg

post-5878-1212181338_thumb.jpg

post-5878-1212181347_thumb.jpg

post-5878-1212181354_thumb.jpg

post-5878-1212181361_thumb.jpg

post-5878-1212181368_thumb.jpg

post-5878-1212181376_thumb.jpg

post-5878-1212181382_thumb.jpg

NO

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theblackpen

• Have Fun

• encremental

• el3ssar

It is a beautiful pen but it is too slim for me.

Glad to see that it performs as well as it looks. :)

Thanks for the wonderful pictures, I am sure you will help somebody get it if they are in a market

for a well made not too expensive pen.

I recognize the All-Star and the Studio but what is the black pen?

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I have the striped version. I like the pen a lot & its not too slim for me, in fact the slimness was the reason I bought it.

My only criticism is that the barrel feels a bit too smooth & the grip isn't quite long enough ~ although it doesn't actually slip when you hold it between fingers it just feels like it might.

If Lamy replaced the plastic grip with a knurled metal grip similar to Pentel Graphgear Pencils I think they would have a real design classic

I think its very elegant & I don't regret buying it

Edited by Have Fun

I have the herringbone version with an italic nib, .9mm if I remember correctly. It's a really nice writer that I enjoy using. One of the reasons that you don't hear much about it is that the Linea is not imported into the USA. I bought mine while on vacation in Australia.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

Is it just my odd screen or why does the Green, the Blue-Black and the Turquoise (South Sea Blue) look so much the same?

Really looks like a Parker Vector, slim and long with the end of the barrel designed to post the cap. I like it ! Nice review and thanks a lot for the pictures ! ;)

I have the herringbone version with an italic nib, .9mm if I remember correctly. It's a really nice writer that I enjoy using. One of the reasons that you don't hear much about it is that the Linea is not imported into the USA. I bought mine while on vacation in Australia.

Aahh ... at last someone who has the herringbone pattern .... I was wondering whether the herringbone gives a non slip finish ???? ???

Nice pictures. Thanks for the review- I didn't even know that Lamy made that model of pen! I am a devout user of my Lamy 2000 and safaris/al-stars, so this info will be taken to heart.

It is a beautiful pen but it is too slim for me.

Glad to see that it performs as well as it looks. :)

Thanks for the wonderful pictures, I am sure you will help somebody get it if they are in a market

for a well made not too expensive pen.

I recognize the All-Star and the Studio but what is the black pen?

Hi,Anne-Sophie!

The black pen is a Lamy 2000.I am glad to see that the review is helpful,unlike my Pelikan Script review :roflmho:

And I could have done better with the pictures... :hmm1:

Edited by theblackpen

NO

Thanks for the helpful review - it's got me thinking again about all the Lamys I don't have (sigh) .... Is the pattern engraved, or printed on? If the latter, then I think I'm more drawn to the cp1 black version (which I always thought was Lamy's other design classic), or there's now that gold nibbed model as well, and how tempting is that?

Never got the 'too slim' thing myself. Do the skinny haters have trouble with wooden pencils or most gels & rollerballs? I think it's mostly in the head, in the same way that we can all find an exception to the 'no metal sections' rule, without trying too hard!

John

Edited by encremental

Thanks for the helpful review - it's got me thinking again about all the Lamys I don't have (sigh) .... Is the pattern engraved, or printed on? If the latter, then I think I'm more drawn to the cp1 black version (which I always thought was Lamy's other design classic), or there's now that gold nibbed model as well, and how tempting is that?

John

Hi, John!

I am glad you found the review helpful.

The pattern is printed on the body. Yes ,the CP1Pt..."Guilloche structure with luxurious platinum finish. 14 Kt bi-colour gold nib, anodized." :puddle: tempting but the price :o

After I get a real job maybe...

NO

I like the slightly different clip as well. In fact I want the gold nibber and the black too. I told you the 'no metal section' rule was easy to overcome. So, does the printed pattern look OK? I haven't knowingly seen one in the flesh, but I'm not sure....

Now I've been looking at these, there are the Accents as well. There's another pen that doesn't get its time in the sun. I used to think there wasn't enough to say about Lamys, but I've changed my mind. We do need a Lamy Forum, don't we?

John

Never got the 'too slim' thing myself. Do the skinny haters have trouble with wooden pencils or most gels & rollerballs? I think it's mostly in the head, in the same way that we can all find an exception to the 'no metal sections' rule, without trying too hard!

John

Spot on comment

BTW The barrel finish is likely to be the smoothest metal pen you have ever held in your hand

So, does the printed pattern look OK? I haven't knowingly seen one in the flesh, but I'm not sure....

Now I've been looking at these, there are the Accents as well. There's another pen that doesn't get its time in the sun. I used to think there wasn't enough to say about Lamys, but I've changed my mind. We do need a Lamy Forum, don't we?

John

The pattern is very nice.To be honest,my girlfriend picked it.I had my eyes on the stripes but I don't regret listening to her.The black CP1 was an options at some point but I already had enough black pens.Not too much,but enough.

The forum would be a good idea,given the fact that Esterbrook and Wahl-Eversharp have one...Lamy is very popular , makes great pens so I think it should have a forum of its own.

NO

John

The CP1 Platinum is gorgeous and the nib on that, well it's the same nib on the Palladium Studio so you can't go wrong there. I have one of the CP1 Platinums and it's gorgeous and all but I prefer the ribbed grip section...which is why I use a custom CP1 and bought a gold nib for it. The slim barrel is perfect for me and I find I can write with this pen for a whole day and not feel burdened. The CP1 black version uses the same grip section as the Linea but the Platinum has a smooth, very shiny grip.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/winea/DSC00050.jpg

I really liked the older Black Herringbone version of the LAMY Linea, but any in the Linea range are comfortable for me. Thanks for the great review!

Edited to add picture of my CP1.

Edited by winea

• 5 years later...

I have just bought the Lamy Linea st made of stainless steel with cyclical matt finish. I was attracted by its slim and cylindrical design. I paid 32 Euro plus 4,50 for the converter for a total of 36,50 Euro. Besides the weight which is too light giving you the idea of a cheap pen, the rest is ok. Nothing special, but it still has a good looking design.

Thanks for this clear review. The finish with squares is quite attractive.

Cogitamus non ideam sed per ideam.