Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black

JJBlanche

Attached below is an image of a writing sample with Sheaffer Blue-Black, and below that, the review proper. Regarding the image, "lorem ipsum" is a nonsense language used by printers to showcase a font/color (ie: it takes focus away from content and puts it on aesthetics). The water test was performed by submerging and agitating a sample swatch of the given ink in reverse osmosis water for thirty seconds, then letting it drip dry.

A key has been added, written on Clairefontaine paper, with a number of different inks for reference.

Standard Disclaimer: Image provided only to give a general sense of the color. The vibrance and nuance are typically lost when an ink is digitized.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4461/skripmf3.jpg

Review

When I write a review, I first focus on color, and award an ink 0 to 100 based upon that alone, separate from other considerations. I then deduct points from the color score for defects (ie: lack of flow, creep, etc), to arrive at an overall score.

Color

I like Skrip Blue-Black. It's total vintage, even more so than the Sailor B-B. A greyish-blue black, with perhaps the slightest touch of green. The shading is very good. In a dry writer like mine, though, it can look washed out, so I'd save this for larger gauges and/or wetter nibs.

At a glance, and when looking at very small excerpts, the Sailor and Sheaffer Blue-Blacks appear very similar. However, the Sailor is richer, and is decidedly blue-black, whereas the Sheaffer has that touch of green.

Color Score = 85

Deductions

During my recent tests, only two inks gave me any real problem with flow: Diamine B-B and Sheaffer B-B. The Diamine was more of an inconvenience than anything else, whereas the Sheaffer has a definite flow issue. If you look closely at the "lorem ipsum" passage in the above image, you can actually see the ink get lighter as the paragraph goes on.

Overall Score = 80 out of 100

Edited by JJBlanche

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JJBlanche

• lak611

• Glenn-SC

• CharlieB

I've tried to like this ink, I really have, but I just can't seem to get into it. I've noticed the same thing you mentioned, that as I'm writing the ink gets lighter, and I wasn't sure if that was because some of the dyes had settled and so came out more concentrated when I first start writing, or if it was something else entirely. This ink dries pretty quickly, and for the initial (read: darker) writing I really like the color. But when it lightens up it really frustrates me.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Same here, it's in my work pen (VP) right now, but I have to use my back-up pen because it starts out nice and dark, then it get's too light for me to justify using it on my forms. Really nice color at the start though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TWSBI Diamond 530 | Namiki Vanishing Point | Lamy 2000 |2X Parker '51' Navy Grey (lustr.) and Black (GF)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?” -Browning

You guys see it too! I thought it might be my imagination. :unsure:

I had assumed this effect, of the ink growing lighter over the course of the first paragraph or so, was due to evaporation increasing the concentration of the ink in the feed, with the result that the lighter, steady-state line therefore represented the true color of the ink. But now that I think about it, this change does seem more pronounced with Skrip than some other inks.

These fountain pens, they ain't an exact science, eh?

Michael

I can second your comments about flow. Tried the blue black a few weeks ago and ended up giving away the ink.

On the other hand, I have been very happy with the Sheaffer brown.

Attached below is an image of a writing sample with Sheaffer Blue-Black, and below that, the review proper. Regarding the image, "lorem ipsum" is a nonsense language used by printers to showcase a font/color (ie: it takes focus away from content and puts it on aesthetics). The water test was performed by submerging and agitating a sample swatch of the given ink in reverse osmosis water for thirty seconds, then letting it drip dry.

A key has been added, written on Clairefontaine paper, with a number of different inks for reference.

Standard Disclaimer: Image provided only to give a general sense of the color. The vibrance and nuance are typically lost when an ink is digitized.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4461/skripmf3.jpg

Review

When I write a review, I first focus on color, and award an ink 0 to 100 based upon that alone, separate from other considerations. I then deduct points from the color score for defects (ie: lack of flow, creep, etc), to arrive at an overall score.

Color

I like Skrip Blue-Black. It's total vintage, even more so than the Sailor B-B. A greyish-blue black, with perhaps the slightest touch of green. The shading is very good. In a dry writer like mine, though, it can look washed out, so I'd save this for larger gauges and/or wetter nibs.

At a glance, and when looking at very small excerpts, the Sailor and Sheaffer Blue-Blacks appear very similar. However, the Sailor is richer, and is decidedly blue-black, whereas the Sheaffer has that touch of green.

Color Score = 85

Deductions

During my recent tests, only two inks gave me any real problem with flow: Diamine B-B and Sheaffer B-B. The Diamine was more of an inconvenience than anything else, whereas the Sheaffer has a definite flow issue. If you look closely at the "lorem ipsum" passage in the above image, you can actually see the ink get lighter as the paragraph goes on.

Overall Score = 80 out of 100

I assume this is the Slovenian Skrip B-B?

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

I use more of this ink than any other besides black.

Nice color, easy to read, pretty good water resistance, works well in all my pens (I have never seen it go thin like your's does -- only start out rather dark when a pen has been sitting unused a while). I use this or Hero Blue to clear pens with ink in them when I get them, works well in Parker 61's for instance.

I've been using it on and off for 40 years or so....

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/332/skripws5.jpg

Crappy image shack servers....

Hopefully this one will stay up a little longer.

I, too, have flow problems with Slovenian BB. As a matter of fact, I seem to be having flow problems with Sheaffer Blue and Black, as well. Anybody else?

• 3 weeks later...
I, too, have flow problems with Slovenian BB. As a matter of fact, I seem to be having flow problems with Sheaffer Blue and Black, as well. Anybody else?

skrip BB is the only ink i use in my p"61" and it flows fine, but i don't like the way it comes out on other pens... it has to do with color more than flow issues!!!

skripp black, in my experience, flows very well and i use it on cheap pens that tend to dry quickly!!!

I use Sheaffer Skrip Blue exclusively in my large collection of Legacy and Legacy Heritage pens and have never experienced flow problems. All of these pens have medium nibs.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

I just do not care for Sheaffer Skrip blue-black. It is ok if I do not want to write anything lengthy. However, the more I write, the more washed out it looks. I tried it and will not use it again because it looks like it is watered down after any lengthy writing. If it stayed as dark as it was when I first started writing, I would like it.

Laura

This ink is too blah for me.

Not blue enough and not black enough.

The colour does not bother me. It looks fine to me. It is just not dark enough after a couple paragraphs worth of writing.

Laura

Have not had any problems with the ink in any pen I have tried.

OTOH, the first rule of the fountain pen, not every pen works with every ink on every paper.

I appreciate that it looks like a traditional ink, not a rollerball on the paper.

Note the amount of shading it shows when used with a conventional nib on regular papers. Very traditional "nibed pen" look.

YMMV

If you're going to compare blue black inks you should put in a sample of the original blue-black, iron gall (as represented by Lamy, MB or Diamine) so we can see if these modern upstarts measure up...

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

• 6 months later...

Received a bottle of Skrip blue-black this week. Am happily trying out nibs and papers. The color, opacity, and consistency remind me of the inks I used years ago, but, it isn't as close as I'd hoped. I find it an attractive ink.

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

• 5 months later...
I just do not care for Sheaffer Skrip blue-black. It is ok if I do not want to write anything lengthy. However, the more I write, the more washed out it looks. I tried it and will not use it again because it looks like it is watered down after any lengthy writing. If it stayed as dark as it was when I first started writing, I would like it.

Can this be anything to do with the filler-type? I use Skrip Blue-Black (modern) in a Sheaffer Valor. This is the only pen and ink that I use with cartridges and all works fine deliverywise - there is a ball in the cartridge to keep the ink flowing. However, when I tried Pelikan blue-black in the same pen's converter it didn't maintain flow nearly so well, even though in an M425 piston-filler it flows nicely from start to finish.

Similarly I get skipping problems in a Waterman Le Man 200-series with the converter but not with cartridges of the same ink.

May be wrong - a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing!

Tom

Can this be anything to do with the filler-type? I use Skrip Blue-Black (modern) in a Sheaffer Valor. This is the only pen and ink that I use with cartridges and all works fine deliverywise - there is a ball in the cartridge to keep the ink flowing. However, when I tried Pelikan blue-black in the same pen's converter it didn't maintain flow nearly so well, even though in an M425 piston-filler it flows nicely from start to finish.

Similarly I get skipping problems in a Waterman Le Man 200-series with the converter but not with cartridges of the same ink.

May be wrong - a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing!

Tom

I do not use cartridges or converters. My pens are piston-fillers (Pelikan) or crescent fillers (Conklin). The ink behaved badly in my M800.

Laura