Diamine Blue-Black

JJBlanche

Attached below is an image of a writing sample with Diamine Blue-Black, and below that, the review proper. Regarding the image, "lorem ipsum" is a nonsense language used by printers to showcase a font/color (ie: it takes focus away from content and puts it on aesthetics). The water test was performed by submerging and agitating a sample swatch of the given ink in reverse osmosis water for thirty seconds, then letting it drip dry.

A key has been added, written on Clairefontaine paper, with a number of different inks for reference.

Standard Disclaimer: Image provided only to give a general sense of the color. The vibrance and nuance are typically lost when an ink is digitized.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/382/diaminebbfe0.jpg

Review

When I write a review, I first focus on color, and award an ink 0 to 100 based upon that alone, separate from other considerations. I then deduct points from the color score for defects (ie: lack of flow, creep, etc), to arrive at an overall score.

Color

I showed a number of people ten sample pages of text, each written with a different ink. Everyone that saw Diamine Blue-Black gave it some positive comment, generally a "this is nice." That's more or less my feeling toward this color as well. It's nice, and I wouldn't feel uncomfortable using it in any of my pens, but there's better. Noodler's Navy is very similar, but much more vibrant.

Color Score = 83

Deductions

Diamine Blue-Black did not flow particularly well in my dryish pen.

Overall Score = 80 out of 100

Edited by JJBlanche

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Garageboy

• lmederos

• nickyd

• tnmike1

Wonderful review as always, and the color of your scan looks very accurate!

Every time I read one of your reviews, I am taken aback by the shading you are able to get, even with inks that aren't normally known for doing so (though Diamine Blue-Black is certainly no slouch in that area.)

Wow, this is a blast from last year past! Glad it found its way back again, I have a bottle I've not used sitting on the shelf and I really like the color from the review. I'll give it life in my next fill. Always had good luck with Diamine as their WES Imperial Blue is a favorite. Hope this is no different. And yes, nice review.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

I love the color, hate how it leaves a dry crust

I could not reproduce this 'crust' when tried in my OMAS Milord EF on Rhodia Note Pad paper. Which paper/pen

combination did you use?

N.

See following post. Whoops!

Edited by nickyd

Having just read the other posts concerning 'crust formation' I appreciate that you were referring to the nib accumulations. :headsmack:

I still can't get this to happen on my OMAS Milord,however.

N.

I love the color, hate how it leaves a dry crust

hmmmm... that's happens to me too. :hmm1:

I've used it in a VERY wet M200 to get it to flow decently and every day or so, I gotta give it a little wipe. When I used it in a Platinum Preppy, it was like writing with near dry paint

Just got a bottle of Diamine Blue-Black in the mail this morning and I inked up one of my aerometric 51's and it behaves well in that pen. The flow is great.

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

• 5 months later...

I'm trying very, very hard to fall in love with this ink. Usually use "Teal" but sometimes I just love the blue/green look of this Blue Black. Problem is, I cannot get it to play nice with my Sheaffer Triumph or often my Pelikan demo with "F" nib.

Works OK in other fine nibs like the Reform, an old Eversharp, my Conway Stewarts. But not in my Pel or Sheaffer.

Is this a common occurrence??? The Teal works everywhere, so I'm thinking maybe the Blue Black runs a little dry in some pens.

and what's this crust I'm reading about??? Is that just another word for "creep" or can I expect some awful looking junk to appear one day on my nib???

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

I'm trying very, very hard to fall in love with this ink. Usually use "Teal" but sometimes I just love the blue/green look of this Blue Black. Problem is, I cannot get it to play nice with my Sheaffer Triumph or often my Pelikan demo with "F" nib.

Works OK in other fine nibs like the Reform, an old Eversharp, my Conway Stewarts. But not in my Pel or Sheaffer.

Is this a common occurrence??? The Teal works everywhere, so I'm thinking maybe the Blue Black runs a little dry in some pens.

and what's this crust I'm reading about??? Is that just another word for "creep" or can I expect some awful looking junk to appear one day on my nib???

I think the crust is creep from what I can gather.

I am surprised about flow problems. I have several Pelikans, a couple of Sheaffers, several Auroras, and a couple of Asian pens. Every Diamine ink I have (and I have a few by now) including Blue Black behaves perfectly with my pens. About 90% of my pens are wet writers, and I love the performance of the ink.

Personally I love this color. Over the last year and a half I often get praises for how this ink looks on paper. I have tried other B/B inks and have not liked the results (e.g., Sheaffer B/B looks more like gray, etc.). It tends to shade slightly without compromising the overall color (see my signature here for a sample).

Edited by lmederos

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb238/lmederos/logos/luissignatureicon.gif

-- Luis

Shading and the interesting color is exactly why I enjoy using it. Maybe I'll just devote the more easily-flowing pens for BlueBlack. On the other hand, the Damson just gushes from the Sheaffer.

Go figure.

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

Hi,

I have this ink in fairly regular use, and have not seen a crust

of any sort yet. It is loaded into a pelikan 215 mostly, occasionally

a Parker frontier. The colour is a very nice blue-black and as with

all Diamine inks it is perfectly well behaved (at least in my pens)

Cheers

Adrian

Love the colour, but I'm a victim of crusting to the point where the ink is unusable. I tried it first in a VP and then in a Safari. In both cases it initially flowed well and the colour was spectacular. After a day or two, I could see a crust of dried ink on the underside of the nib by the feed. Ink flow slowed until the pens were first writing very dry, then skipping, then simply wouldn't start. I'm very disappointed because it's a gorgeous colour.

Is there a bad batch out there? Or perhaps the Blue-Black ages particularly poorly? My ink was newly purchased but who knows how long and in what conditions it sat on the shelf before I bought it. I find it difficult to believe Diamine would release an ink that fails so utterly and completely and so quickly ... but I'm not inclined to risk another bottle.

I've had my bottle for almost 2 years open and had no problems so far.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb238/lmederos/logos/luissignatureicon.gif

-- Luis

I've been using this for a while because i had free cartriges from diamine. Nice color, but maybe to pale for me.

I'm very interested in review of some of the new colors they just released.

• 1 year later...