Alfred Dunhill AD2000

theshainun

The Dunhill AD2000

The AD2000 is a big pen. It is cigar shaped, and the design echoes the Cross ATX (I think they had the same designers) although it is wider and longer. The pen also shares some characteristics with the Namiki Bamboo.

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/10916/90045.jpg

(file appears to be missing on server)

The pen

Length: 15cm (6 in)

Length Posted: 15.7 cm (6 ¼ in)

Width (at widest): 1.3 cm (approx 1/2 in)

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/10916/90046.jpg

Posted

It is fairy heavy, but it does not tire you, in fact the weight of the pen compliments it, it is forward heavy making it easier to write with. However, for that 50:50 weight balance, you need to post the cap, which I often do.

It comes in a relatively small box for a £220 pen, but it isn’t the box which counts.

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/10916/90048.jpg

The Box

The pen is made of resin and has a very solid feel to it. The resin or celluloid, I'm not too sure, has speckels on it, but you can't see them that well on the photos. The ring separating the cap from the barrel has Alfred Dunhill written on it. The clip is a retractable one, a twist to the right opens it up, and a twist to the left closes it again. The accents on the pen, on the cap, are all silver, and require polishing other wise they will tarnish. The AD2000 has a twist cap, and once open, you can see the large, probably oversized nib. The nib measures in at 2.1 cm, or 7/8 in. It is a very nice pen to write with, and the 18k rhodium plated gold nib ensures this. It is not a dry writer by any standards, but it is not overtly wet either.

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/10916/90044.jpg

The Nib

It does however; empty the converter rather quickly, as I feel that the converter could be much bigger taking into account the size of the pen. I often have to carry a bottle of ink around school or a spare cartridge, which is why I don’t use at school anymore.

The connection with Namiki/Pilot is seen again when one opens the rear section of the pen. The converter is shaped like a Namiki one, and it takes Namiki cartridges too. I am not a fan of the converter, it is a push and push one, and it often leaks, or does not get a full tank. Filling by syringe is easier and cleaner.

I didn’t actually buy the pen, it was a gift from my brother, and he bought it when it was mis-priced at £80, the retail value being closer to £220!

Pros: Nib, Quality of the pen, the weight

Cons: Small ink tank, price

Hope this provide some info on the AD2000, I think it is a really good pen!

Shaun

Edited by MYU

Shaun

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theshainun

• wimg

• Apollo

• emrecan

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the review and great pics!!!

Take Care

Emrecan

Greetings from İstanbul

the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

Hi Shaun,

Thank you for sharing a great review and great pics. Lovely pen indeed. I'll have to start taking closer looks next time I visit the store :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Nice review and wonderful pics too! Indeed, Dunhill AD2000 shares the same nib and converter type as the Namiki Bamboo.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

Great review - very nicely done. What a deal - very nice of your brother! Thanks for sharing.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Thanks for the comments! They still make pens-the Dunhill Sidecar.

I thought they started out with cigarettes and lighters 

kurt h

I think they did too!

Shaun

Shaun

ah, youth!

Alfred Dunhill received his first patent for a tobacco pipe in November, 1904. In 1907 he opened his first shop in Duke Street, London. Initially selling pipes made elsewhere, in 1910 the first Dunhill workshops were opened, producing branded pipes at twice the price of other makers (a practice that continues to this day :) ) The White Spot was added a few years later.

In 1924, due to tobacco licensing restrictions on their new store in Paris, men's and women's accessories were added, including writing instruments. This practice is now followed in all the Dunhill stores, including the one in New York.

Edited by Psyktek

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little impact on society." Mark Twain

• 1 year later...

hey...i just purchased a ad2000 silver version and was wondering how happy people are with their pens!

That is one great pen I am looking for one as well.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 year later...