Suggestions for my next pen?

amin

I have purchased a number of pens recently, each of which I enjoy quite a bit. Here's what I want in my next pen:

- Price under $200

- Relatively unassuming looks

- Medium size

- Sturdy filling mechanism

- Must hold a lot of ink - more than a standard converter for example

- Very wet, smooth nail type fine nib

I think that the above qualities will suit my daily writer needs well. I write a ton daily at work, and none of the pens I use makes it much past a day of use without needing to drink.

The Parker 100 seems like a perfect choice, but I'd ideally like something with a larger ink capacity. If only I could convert one of my "51"s to an eyedropper, it would fit the above needs perfectly.

Any suggestions? Modern or classic okay. Used or new. Suggested websites to buy from also appreciated.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amin

• theshainun

• Dillo

• FLZapped

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to be heading towards a Pelikan. I'm not an expert, but maybe an M400 or M200. You could look at

www.fountainpenhospital.com

Shaun

Shaun

Lets see, a nail with a large ink capacity, I can't think of any piston filler nails unless maybe a pelikan fine nib, not quite a nail, the hero pens are very stiff you might want to look into those, and of course browse around for some vintage pens, perhaps the sheaffer conical nibs, those levers hold a lot of ink.

After thinking about it...

A Sheaffer Triumph with a lever filler: these pens are great looking, good feel when writing, an absolute nail, and can be found at very good prices, just do some looking around.

Best of Luck

Tim: The Music Pen Guy

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/pelikan_images/concerto.jpg

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog4.jpghttp://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog1.jpg

Pelikan Nest

Well, if you could give up the wetness, the Ellipse is miserly in it's ink delivery, which leads to longer ink life and writes in a true fine point fashion as a result. It is excellent on cheap paper as it won't flood the fibers.

-Bruce

You seem to be heading towards a Pelikan. I'm not an expert, but maybe an M400 or M200. You could look at

www.fountainpenhospital.com

Shaun

Shaun, thank you for the suggestion. My current daily writer is an M400. I also recently picked up an M800, but find that it actually seems to hold less ink than the M400. Both have medium nibs with a bit of flex - very nice, but I'd like to have something rigid for very fast note writing.

Lets see, a nail with a large ink capacity, I can't think of any piston filler nails unless maybe a pelikan fine nib, not quite a nail, the hero pens are very stiff you might want to look into those, and of course browse around for some vintage pens, perhaps the sheaffer conical nibs, those levers hold a lot of ink.

After thinking about it...

A Sheaffer Triumph with a lever filler: these pens are great looking, good feel when writing, an absolute nail, and can be found at very good prices, just do some looking around.

Best of Luck

Sounds intriguing. I have four Sheaffers (1 admiral, 2 imperials, and a PFM), but no lever fillers. How much ink do they hold, compared to a standard Parker converter for example? Is the filling mechanism resilient? I do think I'd like the Triumph nib, from what I've read.

Well, if you could give up the wetness, the Ellipse is miserly in it's ink delivery, which leads to longer ink life and writes in a true fine point fashion as a result. It is excellent on cheap paper as it won't flood the fibers.

-Bruce

Bruce, I appreciate the suggestion, but I really want a wet writer. The small modifications I make to my nibs to enhance flow is probably why they exhaust their ink capacity so quickly. The other unfortunate side effect, as you point out, is the effect on cheap paper.

Well, although I have no personal experience with it, the Pelikan Level L5 (or the cheaper Level L65) does have an extra large ink tank.

The better versions of the Level L5 with gold nibs come with either black ceramics coating or silver plating or gold plating, while the large tank is translucent.

They have their own special ink bottle to fill the pen from the rear in an ink stand, but you can exchange the content to your favourite ink anyway.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=6106

Edited by saintsimon

-Bruce

Bruce, I appreciate the suggestion, but I really want a wet writer. The small modifications I make to my nibs to enhance flow is probably why they exhaust their ink capacity so quickly. The other unfortunate side effect, as you point out, is the effect on cheap paper.

I wish you luck. It would be great if someone could modify a converter and turn it into an eyedropper fill: that would double the capacity by using the space reserved for the mechanics of the converter. I'm quite sure you're painfully aware of that already.....

It will be interesting to hear what you finally come up with.

-Bruce

Well, although I have no personal experience with it, the Pelikan Level L5 (or the cheaper Level L65) does have an extra large ink tank.

The better versions of the Level L5 with gold nibs come with either black ceramics coating or silver plating or gold plating, while the large tank is translucent.

They have their own special ink bottle to fill the pen from the rear in an ink stand, but you can exchange the content to your favourite ink anyway.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=6106

That looks very interesting. I'm going to try to find out more, but that is along the lines of what I'm looking for for sure. Thanks again, Amin.

I am basing this off the one I have, it is a 1945-1949 Triumph Sheaffer, in black with gold and is white dot.

I purchased it at Avalon Gallery in Zionsville for $60.

The filling mechanism is like new, it is an amazing pen, to think that it has lasted all of these years it is perfect not loose or anything. After getting this one I had such a good expierence I have purchased three other levers, and the Sheaffers are the best, I also have a lever filler Waterman and an Aiken Lambert.

Like most sac filled pens it holds a ton of ink, I am still in school and write and take a lot of notes, and since it is a fine nib it doesn't use as much as a broad nibed pen.

The feel of the nib is great. With a great feed and an unusual design that is a true nail and very easy to come by.

I do not have any Parkers so I can't make the comparison there, I do have several convertor fillers and pistons as well as levers. I would say that the levers hold a ton of ink and just from guessing and expierence a little less than the vintage pelikan piston fillers.

Hope this helps, I would be happy to answer any other questions.

Tim: The Music Pen Guy

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/pelikan_images/concerto.jpg

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog4.jpghttp://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog1.jpg

Pelikan Nest

I completely forgot about the Pelikan Level 5 until saintsimon pointed oput my review :blush: !

I would recommend it, but got for a medium nib if you like a wet writer, as the fine is a little dry.

The ceramic, silver, and gold verisons are heavy, and come with a gold nib. The plain black version is a little light (if I remember correctly) and has a stainless steel nib.

Shaun

Shaun

I have purchased a number of pens recently, each of which I enjoy quite a bit. Here's what I want in my next pen:

- Price under $200

- Relatively unassuming looks

- Medium size

- Sturdy filling mechanism

- Must hold a lot of ink - more than a standard converter for example

- Very wet, smooth nail type fine nib

I think that the above qualities will suit my daily writer needs well. I write a ton daily at work, and none of the pens I use makes it much past a day of use without needing to drink.

The Parker 100 seems like a perfect choice, but I'd ideally like something with a larger ink capacity. If only I could convert one of my "51"s to an eyedropper, it would fit the above needs perfectly.

Any suggestions? Modern or classic okay. Used or new. Suggested websites to buy from also appreciated.

I've a LAMY 2000 that pretty much fits all of those requirements. At a price much less than your limit :lol:

Kurt H

The LAMY 2000 sounds great! From what I have read in the last few minutes, it may be the pen I am looking for. Plus I like its looks very much. Thanks for the suggestion! One question - does the nib on these pens run wide or fine? I want a line about 0.6-0.7mm wide on standard good quality paper - would this be a fine? Also, how does the ink capacity compare to a Pelikan M200 or M400 series pen? Thanks again, Amin

Edited by amin

Hi,

The Lamy 2000 holds a little more ink than an M200--1.4 ml for the M200 to 1.5 for the Lamy 2000. :)

And to answer your unasked question, yes, I wrote it empty in four days. :)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

This is an interesting discussion in that I don't know of any single source of data that lists the ink capacities of various modern or vintage pens. This is a minor issue for many of us who can go days without having to refill our pens. But for a small number of FP enthusiasts, this information would be really useful.

Anyone wanting to take up the task of compiling this info?

TMann

Hi,

I have a chart, but which ink capacities of which pens do you want?

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

How much do the following hold?

Densho ED

Parker twist converter

Parker vacumatic

Sheaffer touchdown

Sheaffer lever filler

Standard international cartidge

Pelikan series (each)

MB piston fillers (each)

LAMY 2000

Aurora piston fillers

CS various filling mechanisms

Vintage Sheaffer is a good start: the Triumph nibs are superb nails.

For $200 you could easily buy a Vac-fil Triumph and have the filling mechanism restored in the best way. The Vac-fils hold more than any pen with a sac, and the mechanisms work reliably for quite a long time between overhauls (like, a decade or so, I think).

A Parker Vacumatic would also be a good choice, and again your budget would let you have a choice of restored examples, or you could get one and have it done up.

Best

Michael