Noodler's Purple Martin

Songwind

I did not see Purple Martin listed in the reviews database, so I thought I would give it a whirl.

Noodler's Purple Martin

Jinhao #250

HP 22# Inkjet paper

Purple Martin is a lovely dark purple. It is quickly becoming my "signature" ink. It's a rich color, about halfway between blue and red. It's dark enough to use as an everyday ink, but feels a bit more interesting than plain black.

It looks good on white or yellow paper, and is especially attractive on cream stationary.

Purple Martin dries pretty quickly on most papers. It will smudge after a few seconds on the really high quality papers, or if used with a particularly wet nib. Writing in my Clairefontaine notebook with my broad Jinhao pen took about 10 seconds to dry. I have not had any issues with bleedthrough, except with the aforementioned wet broad point on a Norcomm spiral notebook. It shades, but the effect is muted by the darkness of the ink.

I have been keeping this ink in at least one of my pens at all times. Even when I go several days without using it, I have not had any issues with it drying out or being a hard starter. It flows freely without gushing. It is definitely a better flow choice than my Noodler's Black. I have not had an nib creep with it, even on pens that crept using NB.

I actually tried a waterproofness test with this ink, along with Noodler's Black and Gruene Cactus. It is definitely not bulletproof, but it did stay on the paper enough to be readable and be recopied after 10 seconds under running water. I think it would easily survive an errant glass of water or a sudden rain shower without losing your writing.

Edit: Might want to ignore the image. My scanner just refuses to believe it's not black. *grumble*

Edit2: Adding some more details for inclusion in the review database.

post-15628-1210729636_thumb.jpg

Edited by Songwind

http://www.dragonseptarts.com/images/favicon.gif Dragonsept Arts and Publishing - Free and open culture

My Public Key: F1BC60E6

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." — Rudyard Kipling

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act." — George Orwell

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Songwind

• misterh

• Tricia

• Romeo Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review! Short but sweet. On my monitor the ink seems to change from deep purple to black - it's kind of an optical illusion. Or is it just my tired eyes?

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

It looks about right on my monitor, maybe a tad dark.

http://www.dragonseptarts.com/images/favicon.gif Dragonsept Arts and Publishing - Free and open culture

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." — Rudyard Kipling

Thanks for the ink review. I am crazy about purple inks.

I was expecting something more purple. The ink looks something between grey and black on my laptop screen.

thanks,

purpledog

Thanks for the ink review. I am crazy about purple inks.

I was expecting something more purple. The ink looks something between grey and black on my laptop screen.

Meh. It's definitely purple. Perhaps my scanner flaked a bit.

I will see if I can do anything in GIMP to make the color a bit more true.

Last time I was at Art Brown I got a swab of Martin and Wampum. Though I've lost the paper, I do remember Martin being more vibrant a purple, albeit in the darker range. Wampum was more a grey-purple.

Last time I was at Art Brown I got a swab of Martin and Wampum. Though I've lost the paper, I do remember Martin being more vibrant a purple, albeit in the darker range. Wampum was more a grey-purple.

That was the same impression I got when I saw them, which is how I ended up with Martin. It's a very intense dark purple.

Thanks for the review. I've been waiting for a review of this ink. I've been using Wampum, but have been hoping Purple Martin would be a little lighter and more vibrant.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

That sounds like a nice ink. Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere in the UK that stocks it :(

I'm just very pleased that I have local stores that carry Waterman, PR, Noodler's, and J. Herbin. Shipping on a bottle of ink can get insane.

I'm just very pleased that I have local stores that carry Waterman, PR, Noodler's, and J. Herbin. Shipping on a bottle of ink can get insane.

I am jealous!! The best I can manage locally is Parker cartridges. I have to order pretty much all of my ink by mail order and you are right, the shipping can be very expensive.

Interesting review. Thanks for doing the handwritten review. Even though the color isn't quite accurate, the shading is evident.

Purple Martin was my favorite ink until I got the Wampum. Now they trade off the top spot, depending on what I'm writing with at that moment. ;) Beautiful beautiful inks. Thanks for the review. I'm thinking PM may take top spot again in the next day or two.

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

Following my post, I received a PM asking if I would like to trade for some Purple Martin :bunny01:

It arrived this morning and I have been finding excuses to write things all day. It is a lovely dark and intense purple, whilst still definetely being a purple. Just what I have been looking for.

Edited by misterh

Oo, it does look more interesting than yer usual black. Huh... nice. My ink spectrum continues to stretch... Thanks, songwind!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I bought this ink based on the review alone :) I like purple inks and this looks promising. Looking forward to see how it turns out with my Pelikans ^^

I bought this ink based on the review alone :) I like purple inks and this looks promising. Looking forward to see how it turns out with my Pelikans ^^

I already plan for this to be the first ink in my new 600 w/ ci nib when it arrives. :)

Purple Martin was my favorite ink until I got the Wampum. Now they trade off the top spot, depending on what I'm writing with at that moment. ;) Beautiful beautiful inks. ...

How do they compare when it comes to feathering? I find Wampum to be a little more feathery than most other Noodler's. (I don't have Martin.)

Viseguy

I don't have Wampum, but I have not found Martin to be particularly feather. Certainly less feathery than Gruene Cactus, which is the other non-bulletproof Noodler's I have.

I have been using Purple Martin for a few days now - ever since Songwind's review convinced me that I really had to have a bottle - I have used it on a variety of different papers and haven't had any problems with feathering.