Grifos Africa's landscape

Anderssen

Hi fellow FPN members.

I have been making my way around this forum for some time now, picking up knowledge and getting to understand concepts like nib-creep, flex, size and balance of the pen, skipping etc. I have also managed to buy a few fountain pens, and have learned to appreciate the beautyfull world of the FP. At last, i feel i have the skills to make a proper review.

You must excuse my english, as i am an Norwegian with only my school english to rely on. I am a fluent reader after working my way through the works of Patrick O'Brian, Bernard Cornwell and others, so let's hope this have honed my skills.

On to the pen:

The Grifos Africa's landscape (pictures are copied from the Grifos Ebay site)

First impression:

I was searching around the ebay, when i encountered this beauty. The pattern in the pen was magnificent, speaking of Italian eleganse and pride, making me lose my mind like a teenagers first love. I simply had to have it, and ordered instantly. It arrived 1 week after purchase, packed in bubblewrapping in a neet gray box of some kind of fuzzy material, with a warranty of two years. 5/5

http://www.grifos-pens.com/aste/astegrifos2004/immagini/GF510-DN-R11/GF510-DN-R11-05.jpg

Appearace & finish

The pen was exactly as promised, glossy an shiny with no flaws, in the colour of red amber. Like the newbie i was i spent an hour or five just sitting around writing with it, and turning the pen in the light of a lamp to admire the shining patterns, not quite knowing what to really look for in a FP when judging it's qualities. 5/5

Design/size/weight

It's a flat top pen, 14 cm capped, 13 cm uncapped and 17 cm posted. Weight is 22 grams. It looks wery nice when posted. 5/5

Nib

Two tone steel nib from Germany, Fine. A nice and wet writer of my liking, and no skipping so far. It's not as smooth as my pelikan m600, but not far from it, a really nice writer overall. Could be a little more flex. 4/5

Filling system

C/C, works fine.

http://www.grifos-pens.com/aste/astegrifos2004/immagini/GF510-DN-R11/GF510-DN-R11-08.jpg

Cost/Value

I gave 145 $ as far as i can remember. A fine pen for a fine price indeed. Seeing as the pen is better than other pens i have tried in the price range 100-200$, and quite a looker upon it. 5/5

http://www.grifos-pens.com/aste/astegrifos2004/immagini/GF510-DN-R11/GF510-DN-R11.jpg

Overall

I am indeed pleased with my desicion to purchase this pen. From the little info you can find about Grifos pens her on FPN, there are differences in opinion about the Grifos products, and i became somewhat sceptical while waiting for the pen. My fears where not justified, but perhaps i was just lucky. For my part i am quite happy, and have experienced nothing but good service and a fine writer for a fine price. Overall conclusion, i am quite happy to recommend this pen to those interested, and i am wondering about purchasing another one from Grifos in the future.

Anderssen

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sharkle

• Anderssen

• Songwind

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, this pen does look nice posted. It's a beautiful pen, one I haven't seen before. Thanks for your fine review, Anderssen. Love that long, tapered section, which equals extra grip comfort for me. I wish more pens featured them. Enjoy your great find, and may you have many more! :)

That's a lovely pen. I am glad you found a good one.

Part of me has always found it somehow depressing that Maturin could not carry around a Fountain Pen.

http://www.dragonseptarts.com/images/favicon.gif Dragonsept Arts and Publishing - Free and open culture

My Public Key: F1BC60E6

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." — Rudyard Kipling

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act." — George Orwell