Edison Pen_Custom Glenmont

sdcurnow

I just received my custom Glenmont pen from Edison Pen Company and I thought I would share my impressions with all of you.  It's my first review, so here goes:

The Ordering Process - 5/5     My experience with The Edison Pen Company began with the ordering process.  A review of their website shows four current models available in a variety of materials, both ebonite and acrylic. I wanted something a little different, so I sent an e-mail to the owner, Brian Gray, and asked for his assistance in designing a "special pen."  After a few e-mails and a productive phone call, we settled on a Glenmont made of red-black ebonite with black ebonite finials at the ends, 3 "old school" red grooves, and a taper at the end of the pen.

Manufacturing - 5/5     Brian offers a unique service on his website.  He has recently added a webcam that he turns on occasionally so that you can watch him manufacture pens.  I was able to watch part of the process of turning my custom pen.  In my case, he began working on the pen within a few days of placing the order and it arrived at my door within 3 weeks.  The pen arrived plainly packaged in a plastic tube, shrouded in bubble wrap, inside a small white box, ready to endure anything inflicted on it by the US Postal Service.

The Nib - 4.5/5     When the pen arrived, I gave it an initial flush and loaded it with Waterman Havana Brown.  ordered the pen with an upgraded steel Taccia two-tone fine nib with a plastic section.  Brian adjusted it to be a little wet ("7 out of 10"). The nib needed to be tightened slightly within the section, but overall performs well and is a pleasure to write with.

The Pen - 5/5     The pen itself was exactly as we discussed, red-black ebonite ("woodgrain") with black ebonite finials, 3 red grooves and a custom taper. (See Brian's photos).  The taper at the end of the pen isn't standard on the Glenmont, but it, along with the red grooves, gives the pen the "vintage" look that I was hoping for.  The pen is large (151mm x 15mm), but light (38 grams, with ink or 18 grams without the cap).  The cap does not post, but with the size of the pen body, it fits well in the hand.     The overall fit and finish of the pen is excellent. the transitions between the red-blak ebonite body and the black ebonite finials are seamless and the pen is perfectly polished.

Cost/Value - 5/5     The pen, as listed on the Edison Pen website, is $210.  The addition of the Taccia nib upgrade ($25), the 3 red grooves ($15), an upgraded converter ($5) and shipping ($5) brought the total cost to $260.  The materials, manufacturing, fit finish, and nib combine to offer an absolutely first rate pen at an affordable price.  While this is not a $5 disposable, the cost to value balance is clearly in the favor of Edison Pen Company.

The Verdict - 5/5     After using the pen for only a few hours, I am already convinced that I will own another Edison Pen in the future.  I would highly recommend an Edison Pen to anyone with the urge for an ebonite pen.  You might even want to spoil yourself with a Bexley or Bock nib.

Edited by sdcurnow

Curnow Bookbinding & Leatherwork

See us on Facebook

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sdcurnow

• Aslan

• dhlr14454

• Songwind

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent review. I too am a recent owner and found the experience just as good as you have.

My peb is superb. Highly recommended and I will also own another in due course.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Gorgeous pen! What is the benefit of the upgraded converter over the standard one?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Gorgeous pen! What is the benefit of the upgraded converter over the standard one?

I prefer the glass and metal over basic plastic, no other reason. Both are functional.

Curnow Bookbinding & Leatherwork

See us on Facebook

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Nice. I have been looking at some Edisons. They are on The List.

Wish he would do a pen with integral filling system. His designs would look great with a classic fill mechanism like lever fill.

http://www.dragonseptarts.com/images/favicon.gif Dragonsept Arts and Publishing - Free and open culture

My Public Key: F1BC60E6

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." — Rudyard Kipling

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act." — George Orwell

Bravo!

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

Thanks for a great review. I like what I've heard about the company and the focus on making a good product. I can't think of a better way to buy something great that was made just for you.

The Glenmont is a superb pen. I have one of the first that Brian made; orange ebonite, black ebonite section and a 14k gold Bock nib. The more I use my Glenmont the more I like it; see my review. I like the enhancements you have made, but I can't see the tapered end too clearly.

Edited by Rufus

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

Absolutely beautiful, I actually just e-mailed today about having a similar pen made. Seeing yours makes me even more anxious to hear back!!!

[size=4][size=3]I Buy, Restore & Sell Esterbrook Pens, Desk Sets & Pencils[/size][/size]

Currently on the hunt for:

Soennecken especially model 111 or matching pencils 11
Soennecken "Tower" sub-brand
Esterbrook or Waterman "Clergy" models with engraved crosses

Beautiful pen! Thanks for the testimony about the Edison Pen company. I've been wanting an ebonite pen for a long time, but have been put off by relatively high prices. Edison pens seem nicely priced and I like the added benefit of excellent customer service. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small