newbie help

memphislawyer

guys at shavemyface.com have started a new ACQUISITION DISORDER that has me infected: fountain pens. i have a ballpoint montblanc and then got a cartier diablo steel ballpoint. wanted a matching fountain pen but they dont make it anymore. i will keep the cartier because i might need it to write in books, bible, etc, but otherwise, id like to get better at handwriting and get a fountain pen.

been checking out some websites. also i went to a local store, tobacco corner, to try out pens. seems i need at least a fine nib, maybe extra fine. i write small and do not write in cursive, and so my "a" and "e" were not very clear, ink ran

together. some things i liked: the gold nibs were generally more

fine. the chrome ones were heavier than plastic. the cross apogee

in chrome was the best weight for me. the best price on the apogee

is about $109 on ebay and about $112 from places like penhospital if

i remmeber that correctly.

i can get a phileas waterman for like $24.95. the fine nib on it was

a so so writer. but that is a cheap pen to get started. i saw a

comment about using copy paper and i use that for letterhead most

times and also write on legal pads and my calendar. now that i think

about it, i might need the ballpoint as i might have to write in

books/bible things like that. i would think the ink would bleed

through.

so any hints on a first pen and where to get it. i dont want a big

fat one, but i dont like the look of that cheap lamy that is

futuristic looking. it is gonna sit in my desk drawer and be an

office pen until i get better at writing.

keep em coming and thanks for the help

sam

memphis, tn

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• memphislawyer

• Dillo

• Macuser

• Betty

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome, memphislawyer! i wonder where it is you call home and whatcha do for a living? ;)

for a good, reliable starter pen, i'd recommend a pelikan, maybe the m250 or m600, if you want a gold nib. there's also the pelikan cities series, with a nice selection of colors if the souveran line is too staid for ya.

another popular pen here is the namiki vanishing point. it has a clicker retractible nib mechanism. the clip has an unconventional placement near the grip, however, so you should try before you buy, so to speak. a namiki fine point will be x-tra fine, if that floats your boat.

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

hi sam

I think you are noticing all the basics you need to consider. I too write with small letters and so prefer a fine nib but sometimes find the fine nibs are more likely to catch on the paper than mediium nibs, especially if the nib has any softness to it and if the paper is not real smooth.

Two pens with nice, smooth, firm fine nibs that you might try out would be the Waterman Carene or Waterman L'etalon. These are not cheap pens ($100-140) but I have found they write well and are very smooth-----though of course any one pen of any model may have an issue.

I think you will indeed find that FP ink runs on cheap paper. Some pads are worse than others, and you will notice that on pen boards there is always a lot of talk about which pads take ink well and which tend to leave lots of feathering.

I hope you can try out a Carene or L'etalon. I am sure others will have suggestions too.

good luck, JC

well, i was able to email pam braun from a website you guys gave me, as well as joon and fountain pen hospital. pam is the only one who has contacted me

here are some she suggested : Pelican 200m extra fine nib for $50 and the

sailor 1911

i also saw these deals for her: charleston waterman ivory for $49.98 (xf nib) and pelican 215 for $60

the pen i thought felt best, maybe on the heavy side, is the apogee. wrote best in fine nib. that charleston has a gold nib, and maybe some place that has inks will match the price. what do you think

sam

The Parker Duofold (International size) and the Sheaffer Legacy would certainly fit the bill for a classy pen that writes well, but isn't a big fat club.

There are also enough Parker 51s, 61s and 75s, as well as Sheaffer PFMs and Snorkels, out there that are in nearly new shape that you could get a fine vintage pen for a fraction of the cost of some of the moderns that are being touted.

Then again, Pelikans are OK too.

If you're into reverse chic, get some Esterbrooks. They're nice looking, durable and inexpensive.

well, i was able to email pam braun from a website you guys gave me, as well as joon and fountain pen hospital. pam is the only one who has contacted me

here are some she suggested : Pelican 200m extra fine nib for $50 and the

sailor 1911

i also saw these deals for her: charleston waterman ivory for $49.98 (xf nib) and pelican 215 for $60

the pen i thought felt best, maybe on the heavy side, is the apogee. wrote best in fine nib. that charleston has a gold nib, and maybe some place that has inks will match the price. what do you think

sam

If you've hooked up with Pam, you've already found a wondeful resource/supplier. Her recommendations were excellent - the M200 is a great starter with a wide variety of nibs available. If you're wanting/willing to spend more, then look at the Sailor or the M600 class, or perhaps a Namiki VP.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

GOOD, now a recommendation. i have seen pelikans somewhere before. is the piston easy to load?

if that waterman is a gold nib, is that a steal?

sam

GOOD, now a recommendation.  i have seen pelikans somewhere before.  is the piston easy to load?

if that waterman is a gold nib, is that  a steal?

sam

Pelikan Pistons are beyond easy to load! You'll have no problems :)

Where can I find some nice Platinum pens? A very nice person here sent me a Platinum pen that I love to pieces and I want to buy another one. Thanks!

Edited by Betty
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

ok, it is down to a pelikan 200m from oscarbraun pens

or

a waterman phileas

or

and here is where i need comments, a waterman charleston in ivory or black, extra fine nib, about $50 or so. pam braun says it is a steel nib, but every other place i see says it is an 18k nib. ebay sell made-2-shop has tons in extra fine. fountainpenhospital said they cant match the price. a fine cross nib on the apogee wrote scrumptions and the medium on a phileas was too fat for me. any comments on this parker pen and whether extra fine would be too fine? i tend to write small and my handwriting is terrible. tend to print rather cursive, and my signature sucks

sam

memphislawyer@aol.com

A Waterman Charleston is, in my opinion, one of the best looking pens out there, however, I have not been able to write with one yet. I plan to visit Pam sometime in the next month or so and indulge in some new pens!!

i got an offer for a sailor m, fine nib, $95 delivered. dont know about this brand but heard they have fine nibs. a little more than my target range, but is this on par with a charleston by waterman, or twice as good as a $50 pelikan 200m?

sam

Hi,

Well, Sailor pens are really really good, so I shall say, "Go for it!" :)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I kinda liked what Randy was saying (which was quite a bit!). I have great difficulty writing and drawing by hand, so maybe I can help with the ease of use question. First--don't start with a cheap fountain pen. Second leads from first--a good fountain pen makes writing a silky dream, even for a lunkhead like me, therefore look at what you know already memphis. Get a Montblanc!!!!!!!! Not cheap maybe, but they have a beautifully smooth flow and the most magically soft nibs. Even I can write legibly with a Montblanc. As for price, well two points there. First, although they are not cheap, their parts are all repairable if neccessary, so it is a lifelong relationship. Second, ahem, could you call it 'office overhead'????? I mean, attorneys everywhere have them in their pockets, and maybe it is a working expense?

Thanks for listening, G