Pilot Vanishing Point (Capless)

Bernie0104

I'm sure by now you're all familiar with Pilot's Vanishing Point or Capless range of fountain pens. After a long time admiring these unique pens from afar, I have finally joined the ranks of Vanishing Point owners, and would like to share my initial thoughts on this pen. I have not included any pictures, as I'm sure you have all seen these pens many times before! Suffice to say that mine is black, with a medium nib and rhodium trim. Subtle, understated and pretty cool if you ask me!

On unpacking the pen from it's black plexiglass case, I was impressed by the overall fit and finish. It feels like a quality item. The pen is pretty chunky, but far from being an 'overweight blimp', contrary to what I've occasionally read on this forum. I personally like the weight and chunkiness of this pen, but I can see how it would not suit everyone. That's why Pilot now make the Decimo - a slimmed-down and lighter version of this pen, which is reviewed elsewhere on this forum.

So... let's get it inked! I decided to just pop in a black cartridge for initial testing. I left the pen for about a minute to let the ink work through to the nib - then I put pen to paper. I'm impressed! The VP lays down a smooth wet line as soon as the nib touches the paper. No stuttering start, no messing around. The Pilot is a super smooth writer right out of the box... top marks! The Japanese sure know how to make a good fountain pen.

And now the clip...! I must admit to being a bit worried about the clip placement on these pens. I needn't have worried. After using the pen for a short time (around 30 minutes) I do not find the clip interfering with my grip on the pen. Quite the opposite in fact - the clip acts as a 'stabilizer', helping to keep the pen at the proper writing angle. The clip placement could be a deal-breaker for some... I'm just glad that it isn't for me! I would suggest that anyone who isn't sure about the clip placement should give it a chance though. You may have to use the pen for a short time to get used to it. Believe me, it's worth the effort!

In conclusion, I'm very impressed with the Pilot Vanishing Point. It is well made, sturdy, convenient and reliable - everything that a good modern fountain pen should be. Bulletproof performance is the VP's hallmark. Oh, and it's a bit of a looker too!

Bernie.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kiavonne

• Maria

• Bernie0104

• Pen2009

Welcome to the VP/Capless "club," Bernie! Your review is well done. I like to use my VP as often as possible for writing and recordkeeping.

I've tried the brand's blue, black and blue-black inks from the proprietary cartridges (the box of 12 is actually a good deal as cartridge pricing goes, but still more expensive than bottled ink). The black needs at least medium-quality paper, and it's a good non-purple, non-green black when you don't want blackest-black. The blue does well on most bad paper, and it's very water-resistant (but not bulletproof). The blue-black is a dark blue with a bit of gray but no green; it has the blue, so it is water-resistant, and it also has some of the black, so it shows through bad paper more than the pure blue does.

When you fill from a bottle into the piston converter, don't expect a big load (trying to fill it almost full makes a mess for me). The squeeze converter holds more. When I use either converter , some ink ends up outside the working unit and inside the outer grip section later. I use a squeeze bulb (such as from earwax cleaning kits from the drugstore) and tap water to flush the outer grip section through the trap door every couple of months. Dried-up ink will defeat the seal of the trap door until it's flushed out.

If you decide to put a "near-bulletproof," "eternal" or "bulletproof" (cellulose-reactive) Noodler's ink in yours, I suggest HDoug's trick to confine the nib creep to the nib: apply car wax to the working unit "upstream" from where the nib sticks out.

Enjoy!

Welcome to the VP/Capless "club," Bernie! Your review is well done. I like to use my VP as often as possible for writing and recordkeeping.

I've tried the brand's blue, black and blue-black inks from the proprietary cartridges (the box of 12 is actually a good deal as cartridge pricing goes, but still more expensive than bottled ink). The black needs at least medium-quality paper, and it's a good non-purple, non-green black when you don't want blackest-black. The blue does well on most bad paper, and it's very water-resistant (but not bulletproof). The blue-black is a dark blue with a bit of gray but no green; it has the blue, so it is water-resistant, and it also has some of the black, so it shows through bad paper more than the pure blue does.

When you fill from a bottle into the piston converter, don't expect a big load (trying to fill it almost full makes a mess for me). The squeeze converter holds more. When I use either converter , some ink ends up outside the working unit and inside the outer grip section later. I use a squeeze bulb (such as from earwax cleaning kits from the drugstore) and tap water to flush the outer grip section through the trap door every couple of months. Dried-up ink will defeat the seal of the trap door until it's flushed out.

If you decide to put a "near-bulletproof," "eternal" or "bulletproof" (cellulose-reactive) Noodler's ink in yours, I suggest HDoug's trick to confine the nib creep to the nib: apply car wax to the working unit "upstream" from where the nib sticks out.

Enjoy!

Hi there,

Thanks for the good advice Steve - much appreciated! That's what I like about this site. People are always willing to chip in with good helpful advice.

I received the piston convertor with my VP, and it is rather small! I may order one of the squeeze convertors, if they hold more ink. I will use the Pilot cartridges in the meantime though... they do seem decent enough for general use.

Good advice too on cleaning the trap door mechanism - I will bear that in mind! I must say that the more I use this pen, the more I like it! I see this particular pen getting an awful lot of use!

As an aside, I seem to remember that you were looking for smudge free pencil leads a while back, and I think I referred you to an article I'd seen on the Dave's Mechanical Pencils website. How did you get on with your pencil leads? Have you managed to find any leads that meet your requirements?

Anyway, thanks for your advice and kind words regarding my little review... it is more my first impressions of the pen than a proper review. I've seen some fantastic reviews on here, done by people who are much better at this type of thing than I am (Myu's Lamy 27 review, for example).

Best wishes,

Bernie.

Bernie, I think you did a fine job with your review! And, yes, welcome to the VP appreciation club!

HDoug's trick with the car wax works wonderfully. Best tip, ever! I actually haven't had any real nib creep problems with my pens, except for the one time I stood one of my VP's up in my pen stand nib down. Oops. But the car wax stopped any major flow.

I have four VP's, but only for a short time. I just ordered another from Richard Binder with a custom stub nib (my first!). :D So, I guess that makes five, now. It is my favorite working pen.

I use cartridges that I refill with bulletproof Noodler's inks. Two of my pens, the ones in special finishes I purchased from Ujuku in Japan, came with an empty cartridge fitted in the pen, and I've just used those from day one. The converters just do not hold enough ink for me.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Nice review, Bernie. You describe your experience well with useful details. I do find that using a template helps, where you divide up the content into titled sections--everyone seems to do their own particular variations (I took someone else's and tailored it a little). But what matters most is getting a real feel of the pen, and you've done that. :)

Steve, good tip about cleaning the trap door opening with a bulb. I've been dipping it in water and swishing it around--the bulb sounds like a better method, so you can concentrate the force of water.

Kiavonne and Steve, I'm not familiar with Doug's car wax tip. Can either of you explain it in more detail? Thanks. :)

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I'm not familiar with Doug's car wax tip. Can either of you explain it in more detail? Thanks. :)

Some people who use "creepy" inks like Noodler's bulletproofs find inexplicable leaks in their VP's. Noodler's creeps on metal and travels from the nib to the assembly above it to whatever that touches and can march relentlessly all over the insides of the pen and even onward to the outside. I just use a car wax and "polish" the area above the nib. This creates a creep barrier and keeps the ink in its place.

It's like the metal rings you see around coconut palms. They keep rats out of the fruit by creating a ring where their claws can't get a grip.

Doug

Doug beat me to it. Thank heavens. Easier than reading all the way back to January... cuz I kept reading all the posts again. :D

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I got a Pilot VP Blue w/gold trim for my first FP and have to say that I would recommend it to anyone. My family and friends think it is ridiculous to drop $100 on a pen, but I'm sure if they used one they would understand. This pen is extremely portable, the ink flows very consistently, and though the clip took a bit of getting used to, it now serves as a great guide to know at what angle the nib rests on the page.

It's fun to think that I could be using this same pen to sign the documentation when I buy my first house, sign my marraige certificate, write a hit song, write kind notes to family and friends, take notes at work, and journal in the evening. It becomes a tool with a specific relationship to it's user like a family heirloom. It's just wonderful. Someday I'd like to get a pen with more inkflow and a larger nib, but I may just stick with this one. I see nothing wrong with it.

Update: The more I use this pen, the more smitten I am! It really is a wonderful piece of work. This in spite of the fact that everything about the pen is the wrong way round! When you look at the compromises Pilot's designers had to make in order to accommodate the retractable nib, you could be forgiven for thinking that the VP would be a lousy fountain pen. But no, it is good... and VERY good at that. Rather amazing for a pen whose design flies in the face of all conventional thinking of what makes a good fountain pen. It may not suit everyone, that's true, but the same could be said of ANY fountain pen. Pilot have got a real classic on their hands here... I'm just glad that I finally took the plunge!

Bernie.

Remember that you can replace the nib assembly for something like $35 and experiment with different size nibs.

Additionally, you can get custom ground VP nibs in a variety of sizes from Richard Binder. I've got a 0.6mm stub from him that works beautifully! It really opens up the possibilities with this pen. And as far as I know, it's the only fountain pen where the entire nib/feed/ink assembly extracts easily in one piece for easy swapping.

$100 for a pen is rather common these days, when heading into the mainstream fountain pen range. You can also step right up to just over $200 by getting one with the Raden treatment (urushi lacquer with a spray pattern of tiny abalone shells). I won't post a picture here, lest it steal the thunder of your enjoyment with the pen you've got. ;)

• 6 months later...

Hi. I'm looking at purchasing a VP pen, but wanted to ask if the nib actually behaves like a real flexible pen nib that allows for a bit of variable line thickness based on pressure. I want to use this pen for my cartooning and would love the added convenience of the retractable tip and the steady ink flow. I'm really concerned about the nib though. If the ink flows smoothly and the nib allows for a variable line thickness in relation to the pressure I apply, then I may have found my pen!! I'm looking at the medium point Mustard Yellow pen. I'mnot opposed at having acustom nib made for me if this is an option.

thanks

Hi. I'm looking at purchasing a VP pen, but wanted to ask if the nib actually behaves like a real flexible pen nib that allows for a bit of variable line thickness based on pressure. I want to use this pen for my cartooning and would love the added convenience of the retractable tip and the steady ink flow. I'm really concerned about the nib though. If the ink flows smoothly and the nib allows for a variable line thickness in relation to the pressure I apply, then I may have found my pen!! I'm looking at the medium point Mustard Yellow pen. I'mnot opposed at having acustom nib made for me if this is an option.

thanks

They aren't super flexible, though there is a touch in the nibs. I might suggest you look at purchasing a nib unit from Richard Binder that he can suit to your writing needs. It costs extra of course, and he can add flex. Probably want to do that before the end of the year, though, as the nib units are expected to double in price by January 1. They are still very reasonable right now.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

They aren't super flexible, though there is a touch in the nibs. I might suggest you look at purchasing a nib unit from Richard Binder that he can suit to your writing needs. It costs extra of course, and he can add flex. Probably want to do that before the end of the year, though, as the nib units are expected to double in price by January 1. They are still very reasonable right now.

Hmm...maybe I write with a soft touch but I wouldn't characterise the VP's nib as having some "touch" to it. It isn't extra firm like the Roting Core but it's pretty firm. Richard cannot add flex to the VP nib. I asked him some time back and he said the design of the VP nib does not allow flex to be "added" (modified in). He can grind it to an italic for line variation. Unfortunately, no flex. If he could, I would have ordered it from him already.

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

I think Kiavonne meant there's a touch of "spring" in it. It does give a little, so you don't feel like you're writing with a smoothed nail. But then, in most cases I'm finding that what I had been calling "spring" is probably from a little too much pressure on my part. I've discovered from sampling a few flex nibs that you really should try to exhibit as little pressure as possible when writing with a nib. Most of them should not skip and still produce a nice line.

Well this is sad news for me then. I guess I will go with a brush. I have to have flex. If Richard cannot add flex to a VP nib then I'm hosed. Is there a cartridge pen that anyone can recommend that behaves well? I'm not what I would call lazy, but I'm also not overly meticulous when it comes to very detailed pen maintenance, so if there is a pretty good user friendly pen that accepts nibs well and holds ink well, I would love to know about it. As for price,...I'd like to stay under $150.00 if possible. Did I just limit myself?

I do wonder if the VP could accept the CONDOR nib.

Edited by TDolce

Well this is sad news for me then. I guess I will go with a brush. I have to have flex. If Richard cannot add flex to a VP nib then I'm hosed. Is there a cartridge pen that anyone can recommend that behaves well? I'm not what I would call lazy, but I'm also not overly meticulous when it comes to very detailed pen maintenance, so if there is a pretty good user friendly pen that accepts nibs well and holds ink well, I would love to know about it. As for price,...I'd like to stay under $150.00 if possible. Did I just limit myself?

Condor nib? Probably not. If I remember, that nib is curved down, right? I think it'll have problems retracting into the barrel. Don't take my word for it though. Email Richard directly. He's very responsive.

Yes, too bad about the no flex. I too really wanted one for my VPs (I have three).

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

I think Kiavonne meant there's a touch of "spring" in it. It does give a little, so you don't feel like you're writing with a smoothed nail. But then, in most cases I'm finding that what I had been calling "spring" is probably from a little too much pressure on my part. I've discovered from sampling a few flex nibs that you really should try to exhibit as little pressure as possible when writing with a nib. Most of them should not skip and still produce a nice line.

^^^

yeah, that.

I didn't realize flex was out for VP's, though looking at my nibs, I can see where that would be the case. Still, I like my VP's very much, and I get good performance from them all. Shading mostly comes from the special grinds, admittedly.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Nice review, Bern. I love this pen as well. I take it to work in my shirt pocket every day. I wonder if it is particularly appreciated by people who usually have shirt pockets.

Mine is green & iridium, and I love its looks. It has a fine nib, and I ordered a second fine nib unit from Richard Bindler because I thought it would be nice to be able to switch colors easily, and also to experience the famous nibmeister's work for only 35 bucks. Not that I had any trouble with the out-of-the-box nib.

I've found that the Bindlerized unit is surprisingly different from the ootb. It happens to be 18K rather than 14K, for some reason, and it writes much wetter than the ootb unit. It is smoother, for sure, but it's hard to compare because of how much ink is flowing. I can see daylight between the tines when it's dry, which I can't with the ootb. The Bindler nib lays down a line that looks more like a medium to me, again because of the amount of ink. I have nothing really against this unit, but again, it's dramatically different and it makes me wonder if Bindler's idea of a great nib is just a lot wetter than mine, or than what I'm used to. I have thought about getting a third unit with a stubbed nib from him, and I don't doubt his skill. Anybody else tried a Bindlerized VP unit?

"The surface is all you've got. You can only get beyond the surface by working with the surface." ~Richard Avedon

Dear TDolce;

I found the Namiki "Falcon" with superior flex nib; that comes in fine and ranges to broad; uses the same cartridge as the Vanishing Point Pilot Fountain Pen. The Falcon by Pilot won't be as easy to flex as Richard Binder's 'full flex nib' but; it will do Spencerian with a wee bit more pressure.

[Comparison - Penmanship Forum - "Calligraphy Forum Anyone?" Topic -- Original post; I have comparison of Richard Binder's Full Flex nib and the Namiki Falcon superior flex nib. Namiki is the parent company of Pilot; so it is not a totally different brand.

Fahrney's Pens in Washington, DC has this pen listed for $136.00.

www.fahrneyspens.com

The Pilot Falcon's 'fine' is like Richard Binder's xxf in my opinion. That may be a companion to any Pilot Vanishing Point you get for your other writing needs. It is not a vanishing point but, is very nice to have, nonetheless.

I shall add to the chorus; I am owner of 4 Vanishing Point Fountain Pens with fine nibs. I have one of the original facet barrel VP in fine nib. It is thinner barreled than the current ones but; it writes consistantly well.

I use Sheaffer's Ink in my old one and the three newer models (2 yellow and 1 red & gold); I am using Both Sheaffer and Waterman inks and--desire in the future to get a bottle of Noodler's Bulletproof Black; so I can write checks when shopping.

I do appreciate the car wax trick HDoug--thanks!

A few things I would like to mention -- There is suppose to be a cap over the cartridges, with these Vanishing Point Pens. The button to click the point/nib up and down; needs to be on the metal sleeve that isn't found in the out of the box newer VPs. This is a huge disappointment. When working against the plastic cartridge; it isn't hitting square on so this wobbles the connection between the nib and cartridge and of course ink will escape--its like wiggling a loose tooth. The cap/sleeve over the cartridge puts the pressure on the bottom rim of the cartridge and applies even pressure there--not on the tippy top end of the cartridge.

'

You can find a cartridge cover at Pilot.com's official website. And, I think it is a dis-service to customers by not including that part; as you don't know you are missing it; unless you have had the earlier versions.

I highly recommend buying your VP cartridge sleeves/cover and not leave it to chance for the dealership to send the proper one.

If you wish to see what I am talking about; www.coloradopens.com; go to their 'kit' and there you will see the fountain pen pouch; assorted color cartridges and the silver looking sleeve--the converter is 'seated' from the factory and does not require the sleeve to use. The height of the converter covers the gap of the cartridge. And the metal sleeve for the cartridge does the same--it closes the gap and more of the nib will be extended.

Just some thoughts.

Maria

Edited by Maria