comparison of some burgundy (or eggplant...) inks

limesally

I'm trying to keep track of how certain inks look in certain pens, and I thought I'd keep of track of this since there have been discussions on the similarities (and differences) between Caran d'Ache Storm and J. Herbin Poussier de Lune. There's also one of Noodler's Mata Hari's Cordial, which I want to like, but the flow is weird and the bleedthrough annoying. I like the colour though. This is on Clairefontaine paper.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3101/2439354903_5a737d18c8.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FrankB

• limesally

• JFT

• Ovidius

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the look of the Caran d’Ache Storm because it seems darker than the J. Herbin Poussière de Lune, but it is a little expensive. I like the look of the Caran d’Ache ink bottles and I am considering whether or not I want to buy a bottle of their ink. Do you find the Caran d’Ache ink to be better than the J. Herbin ink or is it similar?

"Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi sed saepe cadendo". --Publius Ovidius Naso

I like the look of the Caran d’Ache Storm because it seems darker than the J. Herbin Poussière de Lune, but it is a little expensive. I like the look of the Caran d’Ache ink bottles and I am considering whether or not I want to buy a bottle of their ink. Do you find the Caran d’Ache ink to be better than the J. Herbin ink or is it similar?

Neither, just more expensive :) They are similar (to me) in flow, and drying time. The Caran d'Ache bottle is very beautiful and will be worth keeping even after the ink is gone.

Caran d'Ache Storm is definitely darker, even in the same pen, and to me has more blue in it. I think the names for each are very apt - Storm tends to look intense and moody, and Poussier de Lune has a more delicate, subdued look. People on other threads have said that it's easy to tell them apart both side by side and on seperate pieces of paper - I'm not sure my eye is discriminating enough. I can tell them apart now because I'm really looking, but I might not be able to tell months from now.

Now that I have both, I do agree what other posters have said, though - they are both worth having.

Has anyone compared them with FPN Tulipe Noire?

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

Mata Hari looks interesting :) Thanks for sharing especially with several nibs :thumbup:

Both Storm and Poussière de Lune are part of my ink rotation. Storm tends toward blueberry jam while Poussière looks more like rasperry Jam (I'm hungry if you can't tell :roflmho: ) Both have excellent flow, some Caran d'Ache ink are very acidic but I don't know if Storm is one of them. In my pen Storm seems a bit more smooth and Poussière a bit more watery if that make sense. I prefer the color of Poussière de Lune but on the other hand I prefer the slightly more lubricating Storm. As it was mentionned when you see them in the flesh you won't ever confused them again because of the blue shift of Storm vs the burgundy shift of Poussière. Actually I was surprised to see Storm presented as a burgundy ;)

Both are definitively worth having. I have a notebook where I alternate between the two colors and the effects is very nice. They are different enough that you can easilly tell them apart but in a medium wetness nib both get a dusty look once dry that looks very nice and altough different they don't fight each other for dominance (if that make sens :P). In my very wet Visconti F nib Storm tends gets very dark and this "dusty" look is not as visible. I only saw scan of FPN Tulipe Noir but Storm reminds me of them in that wet F nib.

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

Thanks for this comparison. I will give the Caran d'Ache consideration. I have been using good ol' Poussière de Lune for so long, though, that it is hard to give up. I usually write with wet M and B nibs, so I get results somewhat different from yours, though not a lot. For me the ink dries to an almost grey/burgundy color that looks marvelously vintage.

Thanks for this comparison. I will give the Caran d'Ache consideration. I have been using good ol' Poussière de Lune for so long, though, that it is hard to give up. I usually write with wet M and B nibs, so I get results somewhat different from yours, though not a lot. For me the ink dries to an almost grey/burgundy color that looks marvelously vintage.

That's what I am getting too with Poussière de Lune :) My rasperry comparison was more to stay in the mood of the blueberry jam for Storm which is actually more of an appropriate comparison, altough Storm do also look greyhish when it dries in a medium wetness nibs.

From what you just said I'm sure you'll love Storm as it will give you fresh flavor to a theme you seem to like as I do :)

I'd really like to know your opinion once you tried Storm!

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

Now I am curious, so I will have to give it a try.

JFT wrote:

" ... you'll love Storm as it will give you fresh flavor ... "

Meanwhile, pleeease get something to eat! ;)