Private Reserve Naples Blue

punch

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg124/ksdowdy/scan0009.jpg

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional and illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xena

• JakobS

• I am not a number

• Wino In Training

Thanks for this excellent review.

It does seem to have beautiful shading. I have shied away from PR for the same reasons you have. But now I think I'm going to go out and get myself some of this Naples Blue stuff.

Sofian

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

My favourite pens:

Pelikan M200 Demo / translucent red / medium nibstroke

Lamy 2000 / black / oblique medium nibstroke

Pilot Vanishing Point / yellow / medium nibstroke

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are the the requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost"

-Gustav Flaubert-

Thanks for the review, Punch. I have a Lamy Safari F filled with Naples Blue; it has become a regular in my ink selections.

Cheers,

A.J.

In an infinite universe, everything must exist.

Have and love this color; It is darker than the scanner makes it appear. Incredibly vibrant and lively. I keep at least one pen inked with it at all times

I also love this colour - but I do have issues with the drying time and often find myself smearing it when handing papers over to other people. Not enough of an issue to stop me using it though.

It's VERY vibrant. Smears like nuts unless you give it a minute to dry when using Rhodia paper

It may seem a bit of a coincidence but when I was in SF a few days before Punch's review I saw a sample of this ink at Stylo pens and tried to buy some (nil stock). I tracked some down at Flax and it has become a favourite due to the shading when used with a stub.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

Excellent review, thank you for posting it. :)

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Beautiful review... it was too hard to resist, so I had to go and buy me some, it's such a lovely shade of blue!

My Husbands Guide to "Flushing" a Fountain Pen.

"I took it to the bathroom first and let it rinse out"

"stuck the tip in the toilet and let the swirly water wash it (the ink) away"

My Blog: Stolen Moments - reviews of various things (mostly notebook/journals, but not very many atm)

Just bought a bottle for my new Lamy Studio. Great colour - much more vibrant IRL than on the scan.

One thing I'm finding though - LOTS of nib creep. Anybody else have this issue with this ink?

It's fine in my duke and in my Phileas as far as nib creep. I'll try it in a couple others and report back. It is very rich though, for a lighter blue.

No nib creep on the Pelikan that I used for the scan. This pen is always loaded with this ink.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional and illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

I just received some, mine had to be mixed about 1:1 with PR Lake Placid Blue to resemble the color of the above sample on my monitor. On it's own, it is a much lighter turquoise.

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

It's fine in my duke and in my Phileas as far as nib creep. I'll try it in a couple others and report back. It is very rich though, for a lighter blue.

Hmmm..... maybe it's some residual soap left over from an initial rinse (it's in a new pen and was having some skipping problems with Lamy Blue so I flushed with water and a drop of dish soap). Maybe the additional surfactant is letting it run free over the nib.....

On my monitor this ink looks exactly like my Diamine Blue/Black. Do you know how they look side by side in real life?

MD

I am trying this for the first time, but in cartridge instead of out of the bottle. Like DanF noted, mine is lighter and is a Turquiose. It does seem to smear easily - I've had to wash it off my hands already twice today :( This is important to me since I'm a lefthanded writer and some times drag my hand over the line as it's being written. I'm trying to break the habit, but it's difficult to 'unlearn'. I do like the color and the shading though.

I bought my Naples Blue a couple of years ago now. I would describe it as a dark turquoise - noticeably darker than Lamy Turquoise or Waterman SSB. I found that it gave very little shading, although I only used it in a very broad, wet-writing pen.

• 2 weeks later...

PR Naples Blue and friends...

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/photoboris/NaplesBlue2.jpg

Edited by I am not a number

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

• 3 months later...

So I just got a bottle of Naples blue, as I have been looking for a blue and wanted to give the tropical blues a try. It is incredibly vibrant with my Lamy Safari in a fine nib, and have not noticed the tendency to smear yet. In fact, even though my hand tends to pick up residue ink as I write being left handed, unlike other inks I have tried I don't see the side of my hand spotting the paper with the ink that is on it as I continue to write. I am thinking because I am using a rather dry nib that this tendency to smear is incredibly less than in a pen with a wetter nib, so I have to try out the ink in my Esterbrook J! Really is a nice shade of blue and is very readable. I have only tried it on a full sized Moleskine hardcover notebook, but will be testing it on my whole collection of papers soon.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA