Parker Super 21

OldGriz

As you know I scored a nice deal on a Parker 21 pen/pencil set...

I have had the time to really do some writing with this pen and I must say I am very pleasantly surprised..... especially since the nib is finer than I usually care for.

I have been told that this is actually a Super 21 and if I have read things properly that means it has a 51 feed and Octanium nib assembly mounted in a 21 barrel and hood... PLEASE correct me if I am wrong....

The pen balances real nice in my hand with the cap posted...

It lays down a nice wet line with DC Show 2004 Blue that seems to dry rapidly on the Cambridge Ltd paper I used.

Would I purchase another one... definately if I could find one as nice as this in a good price range.... Would I rather have a 51... I have 2 coming that I feel I got a great deal on... I will let you know when they arrive and I have had time to play with them...

http://www.myfavoritepen.com/FPN/Parker21Super.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGriz

• jmkeuning

• Pens123

• jcable

I just bought one of these last week. It's so completely free of ink that I'm thinking it may never have had any. I'm waiting to get in the mood to ink it though. Maybe a Christmas present to myself!

Beautiful photo of your pen too.

OldGriz,

I like your shot of nice pen and writing too.

It is a great pen. I bougt two of them NOS, teal(M) and black(F).

They write smooth and flow is fantastic, but the line they produce is too thick, ohh... probably will try to trade them.

I have been told that this is actually a Super 21 and if I have read things properly that means it has a 51 feed and Octanium nib assembly mounted in a 21 barrel and hood... PLEASE correct me if I am wrong....

OldGriz

I believe (though I am no expert) that the 21 Super hood is different from the regular 21 hood, as the Super hood is part of the ink delivery system, rather than just cosmetic. I'm sure I've seen comparison photos of 21 and 21 Super showing different sized holes in the hood.

Best

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Red 21, with a silver cap...LOVE IT! It's probably my favorite everyday pen...however, I can't get it to fill all the way. It fills about 70% or so...it lasts me about a week...fairly fine line...

Great review, will try to find a Super...heck anything with the name "Super" in it has to be better than the original right? :huh:

Cheers,

Mark

I've got a 21 that I bought from Richard a couple of months back. It's a superb writer, but what can I say? When Richard gets his hands on a nib, magic happens.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

• 2 years later...

A dark Green Super 21 showed up today and was so clean I believe it was uninked. That didn't last long, flushed and filled with Quink Blue, it took a couple minutes to smooth out, but is a superb writer. It has a delicious nib and balance. It is easy to see why it was so popular.

Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.

There is no snooze button on a cat wanting breakfast.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Thanks for the great review. Everyone should have one of those.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

• 3 years later...

I have four 21 Supers. According to Richard Binder's web page on the 21, the Super is pretty close to the 41 and he speculates that the shells, barrels, feed...pretty much everything but the caps, were leftover 41 parts when that model ended. At any rate, they sure are nice pens.

The nib on the 41 appears the same, but it is much smaller. I have a 41 and 5 super 21s, the barrels and hoods would not be interchangeable. The 41 is like the original 21, prone to cracking. The hood on my 41 has multiple cracks and it otherwise looked almost unused. I do believe the 21 super and 51 special have the same nib.