Lamy Safari review

el3ssar

Here is another review of the famous Lamy Safari. I know, almost everbody here already got a Safari, but I think another one cannot hurt. I've tried to take a lot of pictures to illustrate my talk. This is my first review here, I hope you'll enjoy it !

First impressions

I bought this pen because I've heard a lot about it since I'm a FPN member. I'm a student, so I was looking for a pen which I can carry in my pencil case without fearing about scratches or anything else. That's why I chose a Safari, it really looks like a tool designed to be carried out and used everywhere.

Design, Size, Weight and Finish

This pen is made of ABS plastic, so it is very light. The clip is made of steel. The pen is textured. It does really look like indestructible. A lot of colors are available, I picked up the black one because I think it adds to the crude industrial design. There a 2 notches for your fingers on the section. The body is not circular, but got 2 flat sides and 2 rounded sides. Plus, there is an ink window in each flat side.

The pen is around 13cm uncapped, 14cm capped and 16.5cm with the cap posted.

The nib and the filling system

I have a black F nib. When I first tried the pen, I found it a bit scratchy and too thin. Plus, the ink flow was a bit weird, and the Lamy black ink a bit grey. I cleaned it and then the ink flow was better and the ink more black.

The nib is less scratchy now, I think it just needed to be used a bit. And I've noticed the nib becomes a bit scratchy as soon as you lean it left or right. But when your nib is "horizontal" (I mean in the right axis, ie. if you draw a line it must be perpendicular to the nib split), it is really smooth. Of course it's not the smoothest nib around, but it respectable for a 5€ steel nib.

The Safari is a cartridge/converter pen. Cartridges are specific to Lamy pens. I haven't tried the converter, so I can't make any comment about it.

Conclusion and overall impression

+++ : nice design, indestructible, good size, 21$ (converter included), a wide range of nib and colors available

--- : very light, the "edges" between flat and rounded sides are a bit annoying when you write more than one hour straight.

I like this pen. Of course, it is not perfect, but as an everyday bulletproof pen, it's a really good choice. I'm using it at the university to take notes during lectures. The safari got a clip cap (rigid enough), which is nice when you cap/uncap your pen often. So if you're looking for a writing tool durable and designed to write everywhere, get a Safari and you'll like it !

post-14631-1207843852_thumb.jpg

post-14631-1207843981_thumb.jpg

post-14631-1207844058_thumb.jpg

post-14631-1207844114_thumb.jpg

post-14631-1207844190_thumb.jpg

post-14631-1207844270_thumb.jpg

post-14631-1207844340_thumb.jpg

post-14631-1207844453_thumb.jpg

Edited by el3ssar

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• el3ssar

• Juan in Andalucia

• aka

• garyc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this review... I am on the edge of ordering one of these. I would like to have a "good" FP to take around with me that I wouldn't be completely and utterly devastated if something happened to it. I beginning to think this is the way to go...

ignorant rookie looking to find his way in the FP world...

a "good" FP to take around with me that I wouldn't be completely and utterly devastated if something happened to it.

Actually, you just described in a single sentence what I tried to say in a complete review :D So I think you now have to get one of these Safari !

I have a glossy black Lamy with a silver F steel nib (yours looks like the charcoal color), and I was impressed straight out of the box with how smooth and fine the line was. I have no qualms about the pen, and while I wouldn't be devastated if I lost it (I've lost far more expensive pens) (FAR more), I'd still be a bit bummed.

Not probably not really. Cos, you know... very inexpensive to replace.

Thanks for the review!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I have a glossy black Lamy with a silver F steel nib (yours looks like the charcoal color)

Absolutely, mine is not the glossy black (which comes with a chrome clip) but the textured black (known as "S2" by Safari fans)

You can see on this picture (from the Safari colors thread : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...howtopic=22180) the difference between the glossy black and the textured black :

post-8178-1205704429.jpg

(But mine looks a little darker than the one on the picture)

Nice review; I have some Safaris/Alstar, but the black charcoal/matte/textured... like your is the one which I use the most.

I'd like Lamy to make all the colors with this texture, grain.... whatever. I think it's more forgiving with light scratches and I like the feel too. Lamy already has the plastic, the colors and the machinery for this rugged finish, so, why not?

Juan

I think the Lamy Safari is the perfect fountain pen - perfect in the sense that it works perfectly and at a perfect price. I have four, black, blue, red and clear, with corresponding color Lamy inks, Noodlers Blue Ghost for the clear. These pens just work. Even if not used for weeks, ink flows on first stroke. Never dries out. These are the pens I depend on, although for backup. My standard writing pen is a silver Waterman fine point and my signature pen is a Parker Sonnet with a bold italic "S" nib, with Noodlers Polar Blue and Noodlers Black, respectively. When the Waterman runs low and gets quirky, needing cleaning and filling, I grab a Lamy - they're always there and always ready. Also used when I need the several colors. Lamy Safari - highly recommended.

Felicitations & Facilitations

Rev. John G. Derrickson

Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

Nice review; I have some Safaris/Alstar, but the black charcoal/matte/textured... like your is the one which I use the most.

I'd like Lamy to make all the colors with this texture, grain.... whatever. I think it's more forgiving with light scratches and I like the feel too. Lamy already has the plastic, the colors and the machinery for this rugged finish, so, why not?

Juan

I have 3 glossy finish Safaris: yellow, white and lime green and can already feel the need to get one of these matt black models. These pens are so cheap for the writing experience they give and are simply design classics. I probably need an Al-star as well. Plenty of those on ebay.

The only criticism I have is that the retail version only seems to come in medium point. But that is no problem if you buy from an online seller (eg Thewritingdesk.co.uk). The pen shop at Heathrow airport will also supply (and fit) an alternative nib - albeit you have to pay for the second nib.

edit; I just bought a matt black - £6.99 inc postage.

Edited by garyc

The Safari is my everyday pen too. I haven't had any problems with the converter and the capacity is more than enough to serve my writing needs.

An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I have 3 glossy finish Safaris: yellow, white and lime green and can already feel the need to get one of these matt black models.

Do you have some pictures of the Lime please ? I'm considering buying one, but I would like to know if it's easily scratched or not. And where did you get such a good price ? ebay ? Martin sells those Safari around 13£

I have 3 glossy finish Safaris: yellow, white and lime green and can already feel the need to get one of these matt black models.

Do you have some pictures of the Lime please ? I'm considering buying one, but I would like to know if it's easily scratched or not. And where did you get such a good price ? ebay ? Martin sells those Safari around 13£

I previously posted a couple of close up pics here. Mine has been jostled around in a coat pocket with 3 other pens for a month and I can't see any evidence of scratching.

The lime green came from The Writing Desk, £16 incl converter. The matt black for £6.99 was from ebay (with pouch but no converter). This seller happened to have one, though I must admit most Lamys you see for sale are Al-Stars. the advantage of buying from an Internet shop site is that you can usually specify what nib you want. I find the EF Safari nib suits me best, but all the pre-packed ones will have M.

I previously posted a couple of close up pics here. Mine has been jostled around in a coat pocket with 3 other pens for a month and I can't see any evidence of scratching.

The lime green came from The Writing Desk, £16 incl converter. The matt black for £6.99 was from ebay (with pouch but no converter). This seller happened to have one, though I must admit most Lamys you see for sale are Al-Stars. the advantage of buying from an Internet shop site is that you can usually specify what nib you want. I find the EF Safari nib suits me best, but all the pre-packed ones will have M.

Thanks for the link, the lime Safari looks great (but less flashy than in my mind). If I order it, it will be from thewritingdesk for sure, since I'm currently living in England and I'll be able to choose my nib.

Thanks again for the pictures

Thanks for the review. This model/finish does look durable. I have been wanting an FP that I can keep in my pants pocket without the hassle of a pen case. I think this would be the perfect solution.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Great review!! Makes me want to go out and buy a black one right now!!! I already have one red, one blue, and a vista though!!!!!!! booo.. booo~

Thanks for the review. This model/finish does look durable. I have been wanting an FP that I can keep in my pants pocket without the hassle of a pen case. I think this would be the perfect solution.

The finish is matt black AND textured, which is I think a great scratch-proof combo. The snap cap is quite robust and reassuring, enve if I don't really fancy keeping pens in my pant pocket. For 25$, you can't go wrong with this one. Plus, I think the nib system is really cool and allow you to try some different nibs without spending a lot of money ! (I'm waiting for some new nibs :happyberet: )

Great review!! Makes me want to go out and buy a black one right now!!! I already have one red, one blue, and a vista though!!!!!!! booo.. booo~

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you enjoyed the review. And sure you should get a black one ;)

Sorry for the bad pictures :embarrassed_smile:

http://el3ssar.googlepages.com/safariOM1.JPG

http://el3ssar.googlepages.com/safariOM2.JPG

http://el3ssar.googlepages.com/safariOM3.JPG

http://el3ssar.googlepages.com/safariOM4.JPG

To keep you posted (even if I doubt you care :D), I've tried the OM nib for a week (taking notes during lectures) and I just swapped it for my F nib today, which I finally prefer for everyday use. This last one requires less attention, and when you're working you prefer focus on your work rather than on your nib and your grip.

But definitely a good and instructive experience. Wish I'll be able to try a 1.1 now !

BTW, I received my Pro Gear today, so I think my Safari will take vacation :D

Obviously, I need one (or more) of these. :headsmack:

Great review, thanks.

-john

What's so funny about Peace, Love, and Understanding?