Yard o Led Corinthian

QM2

YARD O LED CORINTHIAN FOUNTAIN PEN

This review was written after 3 weeks of use. This is my 3rd YOL writing instrument, the previous two being the Viceroy Victorian FP and Pencil set. All photos are links from the official distributor's website (Filofax), except for the Greek column image, which is from Wikipedia.

First Impressions 5/5

http://www.filofax.co.uk/images/yol/additional/YOL-Box-Large.jpg

Anybody who has received that little black wooden treasure chest with the metal clasp and the luxurious velvet lining knows what I speak of when I say that YOL’s presentation is unparallel. Now imagine a huge hunk of sterling silver upon that velvet – nothing more and nothing less. That is the awe-inspiring elegance of the Yard o Led Corinthian.

Appearance 5/5

http://www.filofax.co.uk/images/products/yol/large/corinth_fp_large.jpg

This is a solid hunk of pen. Although not ostentatious, the best way to describe the Corinthian is “impressive”, maybe even a bit intimidating. For some reason, it also comes across as being much larger than it actually is.

The Corinthian is a neoclassical design, characteristic of the Edwardian era. It is meant to resemble a Greek column from the times of Ancient Corinth:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/Maison_carree_side.jpg

In actual fact, the pen probably resembles a Doric Column more than a Corinthian one (the Doric is a less elaborate, cleaner design) but I won’t be pedantic about it! The barrel of the pen is “fluted” (vertically ribbed), which is consistent with the Greek Column theme as well.

I fell in love with the look of the Corinthian, because I like solid silver pens and have an absolute weakness for flat-top designs – especially when the top is not just flat, but widens, like the head of a nail. And that is exactly what the shape of the Corinthian looks like. The flat and oversized tip of the cap also shows off the various YOL insignia incredibly beautifully, almost incorporating it into the design and enhancing the look of the pen:

http://www.filofax.co.uk/images/yol/ranges/image_family_corinthian.jpg

Design 4/5

Although the Corinthian gives the impression of being enormous, in reality it is manageable: 5.5” capped, 5” uncapped and 6.4” posted. The barrel is .5" in diameter, the cap is perhaps .6", and the very tip, "nailhead" part of the cap is close to .7".

Being solid sterling silver, it is of course a heavier pen. Given that I like heavy pens this is a plus for me, but for those who dislike heavy pens, take note. I do not have exact weight statistics, but the Corinthian is heavier than the Viceroy due to its thicker body.

In my hand, this pen is well balanced when posted (I can’t stand using un-posted pens, so cannot judge in that respect) and it is comfortable to grip. Unlike some other silver pens (the Sailor 1911 sterling being my worst offender), the YOL Corinthian does not emit that overbearing “silver smell” when held in the hand for too long. And compared to the YOL Viceroy Victorian, the Corinthian is less prone to tarnishing.

All of the design elements listed thus far are pluses for me. What is a minus, is that this pen is not designed to post. The cap is a bit wider than the tip of the barrel, so that it wobbles if you try to post it, and will fall off if you tip the pen too far backwards. This was an unacceptable situation for me, since I like to write with posted pens. However, the solution turned out to be remarkably simple: a single layer of regular scotch tape wrapped around the inside of the cap. This closes the gap and makes the pen entirely postable. The scotch tape also acts as a protective cushion, so that the barrel does not get scratched from the cap. And since the tape is inside the cap, it is entirely invisible.

Nib 4/5

18K single-tone white gold nib, incredibly smooth and wet, but not too wet. Mine is a Fine, which is the thinnest available for YOL. I am an EEF-EF nib user, and the F nib on my Viceroy Victorian was far too wide for me, so I had to send it out for regrinding. However, the F nib on this Corinthian is closer to a true Fine. So although it is not the ideal width for me, it is manageable and I can write with it as is (whereas with the Viceroy Fine, I could not really do so comfortably).

Also, the nib-width on my Corinthian is ink-sensitive: For instance, I found that it writes much wider with Noodler’s inks than it does with Montblanc inks. So I fill it with MB English Racing Green (seems appropriate after all), and the line is fine enough for me to use the pen for note-taking. Still, in the long run, I may want to grind it down just a bit.

Filling System 5/5

The pen is C/C, which I personally like because of the convenience and flexibility. Of course if you are a fan of other filling mechanisms, you will give it a different rating.

Cost and Value 5/5

Pam Braun, if you know what I mean. Plus, it was an anniversary gift from my husband, so free for me in any case!

Conclusion 5/5

Out of my silver pens, I suspect that the Yard o Led Corinthian will be the workhorse/daily writer, because for me it is the best combination of attractiveness, durability, weight, size, non-flashiness, and general user-friendliness. The only thing that remains to be seen is whether I am comfortable using it as is, or will opt to grind down the nib a bit.

If you are a sterling silver pen collector, the YOL Corinthian is a must-have staple -- in my opinion, more so than the Viceroy.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• Penbridge

• Titivillus

• Ghost Plane

Great review. I've admired YOL for a long time but haven't taken the plunge yet. Do you know how much the pen weighs (preferably in grams)?

Great review. I've admired YOL for a long time but haven't taken the plunge yet. Do you know how much the pen weighs (preferably in grams)?

Sorry omasfan, I don't have a scale. It is similar in weight to my Sailor 1911 sterling and to my Waldmann Tango K Barley Sterling, but considerably heavier than my Sheaffer Heritage Legacy Victorian, if that means anything to you. It is also comparable in weight (but so different in shape that a true comparison is difficult) to my husband's Conway Stewart sterling Icon 100. If you are used to other sterling pens, the YOL Corinthian is nothing extraordinary. However, if you are used to light resins and plastics, you may be a bit overwhelmed by the feel of solid sterling.

QM2

I think the Yard O Led is an exceptional pen. I have the Viceroy Barley of which I have two sizes and have been thinking about buying the Corinthian. I would like to know the weight. (I found the weight of the pen to be 1.8 ounces or 55.8 grams).

Edited by Hoarder68

Wonderful review! I love the look of this pen and I've been just waiting for someone to review it! Hope it holds up well to daily use!

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

Thanks, QM. I have the Viceroy Grand, and have been thinking about getting the Corinthian as a celebration pen (finally returning to work after a bad auto accident 3 years ago). I thought about the Victorian, but you make a good point about the tarnishing.

And yes, I know Pam well, I used to live down the street from her shop.

CONGRATS!! :bunny01:

"... because I am NOT one of your FANZ!" the INTP said to the ESFJ.

Thanks, QM. I have the Viceroy Grand, and have been thinking about getting the Corinthian as a celebration pen (finally returning to work after a bad auto accident 3 years ago). I thought about the Victorian, but you make a good point about the tarnishing.

And yes, I know Pam well, I used to live down the street from her shop.

CONGRATS!! :bunny01:

Thanks satrap : ) Down the street from Pam's shop?.. Oh!... I was going to say that I'm jealous, but then I realised that I would go bankrupt!

When I am in Boston, the Bromfield Pen shop is thankfully a good, long T-ride away from me, so I can never just wander in accidentally and spend my entire paycheck : ) And in Vienna, I am practically surrounded by shops selling FPs and pass at least 3 of them on my way to work every day -- but thankfully, the retail EU prices are so high compared to what I know I can get elsewhere, that I would not even think about it buying something in one of my neighborhood shops with the exception of ink (which is sometimes even cheaper than in the US) and inexpensive/student pens like the Lamy Safari.

QM2

Nice, simple review - anyone know if YOL produces a piston fill?

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

• 2 weeks later...
Nice, simple review - anyone know if YOL produces a piston fill?

No, as far as I know they never did. I am guessing that is because they want the pen barrels to be solid-silver shells, which you can open up and clean -- and installing an internal filling mechanism would make that impossible.

QM2

• 3 months later...
YARD O LED CORINTHIAN FOUNTAIN PEN

This review was written after 3 weeks of use. This is my 3rd YOL writing instrument, the previous two being the Viceroy Victorian FP and Pencil set. All photos are links from the official distributor's website (Filofax), except for the Greek column image, which is from Wikipedia.

First Impressions 5/5

http://www.filofax.co.uk/images/yol/additional/YOL-Box-Large.jpg

Anybody who has received that little black wooden treasure chest with the metal clasp and the luxurious velvet lining knows what I speak of when I say that YOL’s presentation is unparallel. Now imagine a huge hunk of sterling silver upon that velvet – nothing more and nothing less. That is the awe-inspiring elegance of the Yard o Led Corinthian.

Appearance 5/5

http://www.filofax.co.uk/images/products/yol/large/corinth_fp_large.jpg

This is a solid hunk of pen. Although not ostentatious, the best way to describe the Corinthian is “impressive”, maybe even a bit intimidating. For some reason, it also comes across as being much larger than it actually is.

The Corinthian is a neoclassical design, characteristic of the Edwardian era. It is meant to resemble a Greek column from the times of Ancient Corinth:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/Maison_carree_side.jpg

In actual fact, the pen probably resembles a Doric Column more than a Corinthian one (the Doric is a less elaborate, cleaner design) but I won’t be pedantic about it! The barrel of the pen is “fluted” (vertically ribbed), which is consistent with the Greek Column theme as well.

I fell in love with the look of the Corinthian, because I like solid silver pens and have an absolute weakness for flat-top designs – especially when the top is not just flat, but widens, like the head of a nail. And that is exactly what the shape of the Corinthian looks like. The flat and oversized tip of the cap also shows off the various YOL insignia incredibly beautifully, almost incorporating it into the design and enhancing the look of the pen:

http://www.filofax.co.uk/images/yol/ranges/image_family_corinthian.jpg

Design 4/5

Although the Corinthian gives the impression of being enormous, in reality it is manageable: 5.5” capped, 5” uncapped and 6.4” posted. The barrel is .5" in diameter, the cap is perhaps .6", and the very tip, "nailhead" part of the cap is close to .7".

Being solid sterling silver, it is of course a heavier pen. Given that I like heavy pens this is a plus for me, but for those who dislike heavy pens, take note. I do not have exact weight statistics, but the Corinthian is heavier than the Viceroy due to its thicker body.

In my hand, this pen is well balanced when posted (I can’t stand using un-posted pens, so cannot judge in that respect) and it is comfortable to grip. Unlike some other silver pens (the Sailor 1911 sterling being my worst offender), the YOL Corinthian does not emit that overbearing “silver smell” when held in the hand for too long. And compared to the YOL Viceroy Victorian, the Corinthian is less prone to tarnishing.

All of the design elements listed thus far are pluses for me. What is a minus, is that this pen is not designed to post. The cap is a bit wider than the tip of the barrel, so that it wobbles if you try to post it, and will fall off if you tip the pen too far backwards. This was an unacceptable situation for me, since I like to write with posted pens. However, the solution turned out to be remarkably simple: a single layer of regular scotch tape wrapped around the inside of the cap. This closes the gap and makes the pen entirely postable. The scotch tape also acts as a protective cushion, so that the barrel does not get scratched from the cap. And since the tape is inside the cap, it is entirely invisible.

Nib 4/5

18K single-tone white gold nib, incredibly smooth and wet, but not too wet. Mine is a Fine, which is the thinnest available for YOL. I am an EEF-EF nib user, and the F nib on my Viceroy Victorian was far too wide for me, so I had to send it out for regrinding. However, the F nib on this Corinthian is closer to a true Fine. So although it is not the ideal width for me, it is manageable and I can write with it as is (whereas with the Viceroy Fine, I could not really do so comfortably).

Also, the nib-width on my Corinthian is ink-sensitive: For instance, I found that it writes much wider with Noodler’s inks than it does with Montblanc inks. So I fill it with MB English Racing Green (seems appropriate after all), and the line is fine enough for me to use the pen for note-taking. Still, in the long run, I may want to grind it down just a bit.

Filling System 5/5

The pen is C/C, which I personally like because of the convenience and flexibility. Of course if you are a fan of other filling mechanisms, you will give it a different rating.

Cost and Value 5/5

Pam Braun, if you know what I mean. Plus, it was an anniversary gift from my husband, so free for me in any case!

Conclusion 5/5

Out of my silver pens, I suspect that the Yard o Led Corinthian will be the workhorse/daily writer, because for me it is the best combination of attractiveness, durability, weight, size, non-flashiness, and general user-friendliness. The only thing that remains to be seen is whether I am comfortable using it as is, or will opt to grind down the nib a bit.

If you are a sterling silver pen collector, the YOL Corinthian is a must-have staple -- in my opinion, more so than the Viceroy.

I started by asking advice between buying a Laban silver pen or a Yol, after reading this review I bought a Yol Viceroy Victorian that came up at a good price, loved it so much that I bought the Corinthian Yea from Pam's pens I agree what you said about living down the street from Pam, I would certainly end up both bankrupt, and divorced if I lived near Pam, I am fighting myself at the moment should I be tempted to buy an other Yol before I go on the family annual holiday, This would not be a wise choice, Trust me

Bob Cratchet

Living in an age gone bye

Thanks for the review. I love the pen :puddle: This pen is on my wish list, and has just moved to the top. :)

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

YOL makes wonderful pens. They are indeed heavy, but I like them that way. The weight slows down my handwriting and makes it neater. It is a great feeling to write with a pen that could be stored with Grandma's sterling silver!

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

excellent review of a stunning pen ;)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the review.

You mention that that the Corinthian is less prone to tarnishing than the Victorian. Do you have a Victorian Yard O Led or do you happen to know where I can find a review on one?

Many thanks.

PB

You mention that that the Corinthian is less prone to tarnishing than the Victorian. Do you have a Victorian Yard O Led or do you happen to know where I can find a review on one?

I have a Viceroy Victorian fountain pen and a Perfecta Victorian pencil. There is no review, but you can see them in the 4th photo in this post:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=77477

Both tarnish rather easily if not in use. However, if you write with them regularly, this does not happen.

Any other specific info you were looking for?

Edited by QM2

I have a Viceroy Victorian fountain pen and a Perfecta Victorian pencil. There is no review, but you can see them in the 4th photo in this post:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=77477

Both tarnish rather easily if not in use. However, if you write with them regularly, this does not happen.

Any other specific info you were looking for?

Is it easy to write with? This will the first "proper" pen I will be buying and I want to make sure that it will be something that I will use often.

Do you find that the silver body gets quite scratched? Also is it the pocket, regular or grand size? I don't want a small pen but I have quite small hands so I'm not sure I will feel comfortable writing with something so big.

I guess I could go to a pen shop and ask to use it out :-)

Thanks for your help. You have an absolutely stunning collection! I hope the Yard O Led will be a pleasant way to start my own! Is your Conway Stewart pen a Henry Simpole design?

Is it easy to write with? This will the first "proper" pen I will be buying and I want to make sure that it will be something that I will use often.

Do you find that the silver body gets quite scratched? Also is it the pocket, regular or grand size? I don't want a small pen but I have quite small hands so I'm not sure I will feel comfortable writing with something so big.

I guess I could go to a pen shop and ask to use it out :-)

Thanks for your help. You have an absolutely stunning collection! I hope the Yard O Led will be a pleasant way to start my own! Is your Conway Stewart pen a Henry Simpole design?

Hi Penbridge,

The Corinthian is easy to write with and it is not scratch-prone compared to other silver pens I own. In the Corinthian there is only one size, so they do not come in pocket/regular/grand.

If you look at this thread and scroll through the images, you will see the actual pen I own next to other pens, for size comparison. My other 2 YOLs are there as well, as is the Conway Stewart Centenary (which is yes, a Henry Simpole pen).

As for weight -- yes, the pen is solid sterling, so on the heavy side. Not one of the heaviest pens I have ever handled though. In the end, only by holding the pen yourself can you determine whether it is right for you. But if you do decide to buy the pen, a friendly piece if advice is to try Oscar Braun Pens. I believe they have the best price.

Good luck!

QM2

Edited by QM2