PR Purple Haze- Handwritten Review

griffin2020

The handwritten Review may be hard to read, as this color does not scan very well. Transcription and other thoughts follow the images.

post-13763-1207283235_thumb.jpg

post-13763-1207283253_thumb.jpg

This ink is significantly lighter than I thought it would be. It starts pale purple, but dries more blue.

Decent water resistance, it does not smear with a moistened finger.

No discernible odor in the jar.

Ink shows very little shading, and the normally buttery smooth nib on the Waterman Charleston is a bit "squeaky" in certain directions.

{/Handwritten Ink Review}

In testing pen combos, I dipped one of the "Sharper Image" pens from winedoc (wet medium nib), and it draws a heavier, much easier to read line that dries more purple than blue. I will need to load a converter and see how it actually behaves with this ink.

So far, I would say that if you are a fan of dry (or semi-dry) and fine nibs, this ink is NOT for you. However, if your nibs are wet and put a thick line down, this is a nice, if not extraordinary purple. However, Waterman Purple, PR Purple Mojo, PR Tanzanite, and Violette Pensee are probably better choices.

Addendum: There is absolutely no feathering or bleedthrough on the 28# paper. However, on a small Moleskine that most other inks feather on, it has intermittent bleedthrough (the tips of the double strokes on 't's) and very, very, very slight feathering (had to use a loupe to see it).

I did not experience any start-up problems in any of the three pens I have loaded this ink into (Waterman Hemispehere F, Waterman Charleston M, 'Sharper Image' M), but these are all well behaved pens.

Edited by griffin2020

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• griffin2020

• KCat

• encephalartos

• Pinmin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A shame the color does not show well in the scan, is probably close to Violette Pensé? Very good review, anyhow. Thanks a lot for sharing.

A shame the color does not show well in the scan, is probably close to Violette Pensé? Very good review, anyhow. Thanks a lot for sharing.

I have not seen Violette Pensee in person, but I think this ink may be a decent match in color, but perhaps is less saturated.

I purchased this to use in place of VP, since it seems that everyone is out of stock on it currently I will be ordering some of the J Herbin and will post a comparo when I get it.

The handwritten Review may be hard to read, as this color does not scan very well. Transcription and other thoughts follow the images.

post-13763-1207283235_thumb.jpg

post-13763-1207283253_thumb.jpg

This ink is significantly lighter than I thought it would be. It starts pale purple, but dries more blue.

Decent water resistance, it does not smear with a moistened finger.

No discernible odor in the jar.

Ink shows very little shading, and the normally buttery smooth nib on the Waterman Charleston is a bit "squeaky" in certain directions.

{/Handwritten Ink Review}

In testing pen combos, I dipped one of the "Sharper Image" pens from winedoc (wet medium nib), and it draws a heavier, much easier to read line that dries more purple than blue. I will need to load a converter and see how it actually behaves with this ink.

So far, I would say that if you are a fan of dry (or semi-dry) and fine nibs, this ink is NOT for you. However, if your nibs are wet and put a thick line down, this is a nice, if not extraordinary purple. However, Waterman Purple, PR Purple Mojo, PR Tanzanite, and Violette Pensee are probably better choices.

Addendum: There is absolutely no feathering or bleedthrough on the 28# paper. However, on a small Moleskine that most other inks feather on, it has intermittent bleedthrough (the tips of the double strokes on 't's) and very, very, very slight feathering (had to use a loupe to see it).

I did not experience any start-up problems in any of the three pens I have loaded this ink into (Waterman Hemispehere F, Waterman Charleston M, 'Sharper Image' M), but these are all well behaved pens.

The Sharper Image Retail Company has a fountain pen?

The Sharper Image Retail Company has a fountain pen?

No, they do not. It is a Danitrio that winedoc sold in his Chapter 11 sale. They are very nice units, link to post.

I have a blue one with black cap and silver trim and a burgundy one with black cap and silver trim.

Violet Pensee is more saturated though the hue is similar.

The scan on my monitor reminds me some of Omas Violet.

Omas Violet also shifts toward blue as it dries. It doesn't

turn blue, but the dried hue is bluer than the freshly written

wet ink.

I really like the color, I always have it in one of my pens.

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

Violet Pensee is more saturated though the hue is similar.

My Violette Pensee came in the post yesterday, and I immediately inked up my Lamy Vista with it. VP is uch more of a true violet color on my paper (and in my pens). The PR color, while nice, looks like a pale blue (barely any violet in the 'cured' ink), and needs plain white paper (although I have not tried any other pastel colors with it yet).

The true color of Purple Haze is identical to the grid lines on my Rhodia pads (I noticed that just a cople of days ago).

• 3 years later...

Necro'ing an ancient post here: my apologies.

In these modern, now-a-go-go days when black isn't black unless it devours entire star systems, and blue isn't blue unless it not only jumps off the page but eats the neighbor's geese as well, Purple Haze will come as a real shock.

No surprise it doesn't scan well, for Purple Haze is subtle stuff. On the same page as the gently muted and exquisitely-behaved Omas Violet, the understatement of Purple Haze makes me want to rethink Omas Violet as Omas Violent. Purple Haze is a different animal altogether. I sense the overall effect of Purple Haze is: Read this - I'm writing something important, just for you.

Purple Haze is for writing to someone you care about. And its use should be reserved for readers who are not suffering from cataracts!

The written results are glorious from a wet 0.9 italic nib. I see significant shading from that nib.

It it waterproof? Light-resistant? Archival? Didn't attempt any tests in those areas, and I sincerely doubt it would meet any of those criteria for those who feel they need that in an ink.

Purple Haze rocks my stripey socks!