Edison Pen Webcam

bgray

Hey everyone.

I recently put a computer out in the shop (very handy)...

...and I figured, "Why not set up a webcam?

So if you would like to see some pens being made, here ya go...

Edison Pen Co Webcam

On that page, I will keep my schedule updated so you will know what I'm working on and when.

You'll catch me making pens tomorrow (Wed) around 5 pm EST for a couple hours, and then maybe Thursday...same time.

Then Friday will be a penfest - probably 5-7, and then 9 until late. Saturday should be 10-5, and 9-late.

I'm working on Glenmonts in new acrylics this week, as well as a demonstrator of a new design.

Waddya think? Good idea?

If you do tune in, I would appreciate feedback. Good video stream? Good camera angle?

Thanks.

Brian

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• DRP

• rroossinck

• langere

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a neat idea! Perhaps some of us can watch while you're making the very pens that will end up in our sweaty little hands...

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

That's a neat idea! Perhaps some of us can watch while you're making the very pens that will end up in our sweaty little hands...

Erick

Yeah...that's part of the plan. I'll let clients know when their particular pen is being made so they can tune in if they wish.

Edited by bgray

This is an excellent marketing idea. Let me make an open confession by saying that I had never heard of you before I saw your posting about changing the name of your company. Somehow, that had even slipped my mind until I saw this posting.

Now, I'm curious.

Good marketing means creating interest among potential buyers. You can't sell a product unless the potential customer is interested. You've got my interest.

I probably won't buy -- for a while, at least -- because I've already selected my next pen and I have to save money to buy it. However, you've succeeded in getting my attention so I might be thinking about a pen at some point in the future. Maybe I'll save money to buy one of yours at some future date.

Here's a follow up suggestion that you might want to think about ...................

When a customer orders a pen, not only could you advise the customer when you'll make the pen but also record the manufacturing process. You could insert a standardized introduction and standardized close and include a CD with the pen. Thus, the customer would have a video record of his/her pen being made; how it was made, etc.

My wife, Kathy is an artist and I know that customers always value her work more if they know something about it. Adding information about the manufacture of a specific pen would thus increase customer knowledge as well as increase the personal value of the pen.

Good luck with your webcam. I'll plan on watching from time to time. Maybe you'll turn me into a customer.

David

This is an excellent marketing idea. Let me make an open confession by saying that I had never heard of you before I saw your posting about changing the name of your company. Somehow, that had even slipped my mind until I saw this posting.

Now, I'm curious.

Good marketing means creating interest among potential buyers. You can't sell a product unless the potential customer is interested. You've got my interest.

I probably won't buy -- for a while, at least -- because I've already selected my next pen and I have to save money to buy it. However, you've succeeded in getting my attention so I might be thinking about a pen at some point in the future. Maybe I'll save money to buy one of yours at some future date.

Here's a follow up suggestion that you might want to think about ...................

When a customer orders a pen, not only could you advise the customer when you'll make the pen but also record the manufacturing process. You could insert a standardized introduction and standardized close and include a CD with the pen. Thus, the customer would have a video record of his/her pen being made; how it was made, etc.

My wife, Kathy is an artist and I know that customers always value her work more if they know something about it. Adding information about the manufacture of a specific pen would thus increase customer knowledge as well as increase the personal value of the pen.

Good luck with your webcam. I'll plan on watching from time to time. Maybe you'll turn me into a customer.

David

Thanks for the advise, David. It is sound, and I'll take it seriously.

bg

Would be useful if broadcast times were shown for UK Europe Oz etc so we all know when to watch

Admire these pens a lot btw fast replacing a Danitrio as my aspirational pen

I looked at the webcam a couple of times. At some point you may want to put on a commentary, either by voice or perhaps a sign in front of the lathe explaining what you are doing at that moment. When I watched, it looked interesting but I really didn't have any idea what was happening.

By the way, after seeing your webcam, I looked at pen reviews written by several people. I probably wouldn't have looked with as much interest had I not seen your webcam. Thus, your objective of getting people to pay attention to your product line is working.

I won't buy for a while because I have no money. What little money I may have will go toward buying another pen. However, I am now starting to think of your products for a future purchase. Who knows what could happen in a year or two????? Maybe I'll be a customer.

Keep working on your webcam idea. I think you're on to something.

I looked at the webcam a couple of times. At some point you may want to put on a commentary, either by voice or perhaps a sign in front of the lathe explaining what you are doing at that moment. When I watched, it looked interesting but I really didn't have any idea what was happening.

By the way, after seeing your webcam, I looked at pen reviews written by several people. I probably wouldn't have looked with as much interest had I not seen your webcam. Thus, your objective of getting people to pay attention to your product line is working.

I won't buy for a while because I have no money. What little money I may have will go toward buying another pen. However, I am now starting to think of your products for a future purchase. Who knows what could happen in a year or two????? Maybe I'll be a customer.

Keep working on your webcam idea. I think you're on to something.

Thanks very much.

• 1 month later...

I read a review of one of your recent pens and am most impressed.

One of the things I noticed is that you ship pens in a utilitarian box. You put money in protecting the pen; nothing in presentation. So, here's an idea ...

There was a thread a few weeks ago about the importance (or lack thereof) of a box in which a pen is presented. Some people said that they wanted no more money spent on a container than is absolutely necessary to assure it is transported safely. Others said that the box was part of the experience, especially if the pen is a gift.

Obviously, your thinking fits in the first category. Safe, reliable delivery. Nothing else.

But, what if a pen is intended as a gift?

It occurs to me that there must be some artist/craftsman/entrepreneur who would make custom presentation boxes, explicitly for a specific customer. Perhaps the customer's name could be engraved into the box. Or, a date signifiying a special event. Or, whatever. Or, the box could be a completely customized job made from a unique material (for example, glass as is used by one of the Pelikan models). Perhaps an artist could decorate the box with a scene from a wedding, or a scenic panorama from some location which is special to the recipient (example: pond at a family farm drawn from a photo or a vacation paradise).

You might post a message to FPN participants asking for ideas -- or, more to the point, people who might have the ability to work with you on creating such specialized boxes.

The customer would, of course, have the option of buying a pen in an extremely sturdy mailing container if he/she is like me and doesn't keep pens in boxes. But, for the customer who wants a special container for a special pen, that option would exist, also. Being that everything is entirely customized, you probably wouldn't even have to do much more than add a link to someone else's web site.

Think about it ....................

Your pens are gorgeous. Expanding your market by offering ancillary materials would add interest without adding to your own costs.

I read a review of one of your recent pens and am most impressed.

One of the things I noticed is that you ship pens in a utilitarian box. You put money in protecting the pen; nothing in presentation. So, here's an idea ...

There was a thread a few weeks ago about the importance (or lack thereof) of a box in which a pen is presented. Some people said that they wanted no more money spent on a container than is absolutely necessary to assure it is transported safely. Others said that the box was part of the experience, especially if the pen is a gift.

Obviously, your thinking fits in the first category. Safe, reliable delivery. Nothing else.

But, what if a pen is intended as a gift?

It occurs to me that there must be some artist/craftsman/entrepreneur who would make custom presentation boxes, explicitly for a specific customer. Perhaps the customer's name could be engraved into the box. Or, a date signifiying a special event. Or, whatever. Or, the box could be a completely customized job made from a unique material (for example, glass as is used by one of the Pelikan models). Perhaps an artist could decorate the box with a scene from a wedding, or a scenic panorama from some location which is special to the recipient (example: pond at a family farm drawn from a photo or a vacation paradise).

You might post a message to FPN participants asking for ideas -- or, more to the point, people who might have the ability to work with you on creating such specialized boxes.

The customer would, of course, have the option of buying a pen in an extremely sturdy mailing container if he/she is like me and doesn't keep pens in boxes. But, for the customer who wants a special container for a special pen, that option would exist, also. Being that everything is entirely customized, you probably wouldn't even have to do much more than add a link to someone else's web site.

Think about it ....................

Your pens are gorgeous. Expanding your market by offering ancillary materials would add interest without adding to your own costs.

Thanks for the feedback.

I do have access to nice wooden presentation boxes for my pens, but I just don't have them on the website.

I'll get them added. Good suggestion.

Brian

Brian --

Think about CUSTOM made boxes for CUSTOM made pens. My wife is an artist and the idea of personalization adds a tremendous amount of perceived value to customers. She makes jewelry and customers will ask for minor changes -- which of course Kathy makes. This adds tremendous value for the customer -- to be a part of the creative process, even though that contribution may be relatively minor.

As you know from making pens, customers enjoy being part of the process of designing a pen. If the pen is a gift, being a part of the process of designing a presentation box is potentially very important.

David