Noodlers Nikita

Iziem

I did this in print, script, and with a quick sketching, since they all seem to reveal slighltly different line quality. It's been a while since I've written in cursive (7+ years), but it seemed to come back quickly enough. If there is something I should have included/something I left out, or something specific you want tested, I can give it a shot. Likewise, if you have conflicting opinions, please share them. I admit that I'm somewhat limited with my testing materials, and I'd rather not give false information.

post-15189-1206820711_thumb.jpg

I bought this Nikita to mix with Heart of Darkness black, since people seemed to have mixed feelings about red-black. However, as I mentioned, it's a really nice color in itself. It really is a true red. A swash with a watercolor brush shows only red and tints of red.

I should stress that Nikita isn't marketed as Bulletproof, though it does still leave easily readable words after a minute soaking in water. Under a splash of water, it will run, but what has already soaked into the paper stays. I wouldn't use it over bulletproof, assuming you're looking for those qualities. However, it wouldn't completely ruin your notes if you accidentally spilled something over it. After three to five seconds, only heavily inked areas will smudge. It takes up to seven seconds to dry completely, so this might not be for very heavy-handed lefties. I didn't notice any feathering on this paper. There didn't seem to be any bleedthrough either, tested both with the pen and a watercolor brush.

Edited by Zyzybalooba

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Viseguy

• Tricia

• Melnicki

• Iziem

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very good job on the scan. It looks almost exactly like the ink looks for me.

I love the ink. Great review. The color is just perfect for me. Not too dark, not too bright.

Thanks, Zyzybalooba, for the review.

Has anyone noticed that the description for Nikita and Dragon's Napalm are the same? Neither are marketed as waterproof/bulletproof--the only difference I can find is that Nikita comes in an eyedropper bottle with the free pen (and of course is higher priced due to being a larger bottle.)

Are there any other differences that I missed, if anyone knows or has both?

Best, Ann

Thanks, Zyzybalooba, for the review.

Has anyone noticed that the description for Nikita and Dragon's Napalm are the same? Neither are marketed as waterproof/bulletproof--the only difference I can find is that Nikita comes in an eyedropper bottle with the free pen (and of course is higher priced due to being a larger bottle.)

Are there any other differences that I missed, if anyone knows or has both?

Best, Ann

Hm, I hadn't seen that Nikita and Dragon's were the same. I'll have to check it. However, I have the Nikita and it is just about as true a red as there can be, with no other color tones that I can see. I saw a scan here somewhere of Dragon's Napalm, and the color was closer to... hm, iodine? The stuff that everyone ran from as a kid because it hurt more than the owie - and stained your hands.

Nikita isn't bulletproof, but it holds up pretty well as near waterproof. I have two bottles of it on hand. Love the stuff.

Oh, and nice rose, Zyzybalooba. And nice little review.

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Thank you! I love the dark reds, "wine reds" and eggplants and reddish purples in inks. It was a surprise for me for I'd never thought I would like ANY ink in red. This is a gorgeous red, but I need them darker in order to be able to photocopy.

Thanks for sharing and thanks for the rose! :wub:

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Nikita and Dragon's Napalm are definitely different colors.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Thanks. That red just begged to be a rose. :)

With the Dragon's Napalm, it's probably a mistake with copying the description over to two inks. Comparing it to a photo review, it's really different, showing up as a sort of orange.

Thanks. That red just begged to be a rose. :)

With the Dragon's Napalm, it's probably a mistake with copying the description over to two inks. Comparing it to a photo review, it's really different, showing up as a sort of orange.

The descriptions I've read call Nikita a fire engine red and Dragon's Napalm the color of Mercurachrome. I haven't tried Nikita, but Dragon's Napalm on paper definitely reminds me of Mercurachrome on me.

I really like Dragon's Napalm in a Preppy highlighter.

Thanks for this review. I've been considering this ink and I think this tipped the scales in its favor. :)

Ann, thanks for asking that question. I'd been wondering about that myself. Good to know they are, indeed, different colors.

Has anyone seen this ink next to Swishmix Burgundy? I need a waterproof (or at least very water resistent) red ink for editing. I've been using Swishmix Burgundy - and I like it - but Nikita seems to be brighter, making it easier to pop out on a page.

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

Has anyone seen this ink next to Swishmix Burgundy? I need a waterproof (or at least very water resistent) red ink for editing. I've been using Swishmix Burgundy - and I like it - but Nikita seems to be brighter, making it easier to pop out on a page.

One of the brightest semi-waterproof reds I've seen is a mixture I make of Swishmix Burgundy with Skrip Red. SM Burg is a brownish brick red, and lacks any "pop" unless it goes down wet (and only on certain papers)... But Skrip Red is loud loud loud.

From what I've seen, Nikita may be close, but I prefer this -- it's deeper.

post-1314-1206986271_thumb.jpg

Edited by Melnicki

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

Thanks, Menicki. I'd have to buy either one (or both!) because I only have Skrip Red in old carts. Something to think about, though. The Pels I use for editing are pretty wet writers, so the color of Swishmix Burgundy doesn't go down brown for me but it is a bit subdued. Always good to have options. :)

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

Nice review and nice rose!

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

One of the brightest semi-waterproof reds I've seen is a mixture I make of Swishmix Burgundy with Skrip Red. SM Burg is a brownish brick red, and lacks any "pop" unless it goes down wet (and only on certain papers)... But Skrip Red is loud loud loud.

From what I've seen, Nikita may be close, but I prefer this -- it's deeper.

I forget now: What are the proportions of your Skripmix mix? I'm thinking you could substitute Nikita for the Skrip Red and make the mix even more waterproof, and have it "pop" as much or more. Since I have both inks, I may just try it! :D

Viseguy

I don't remember offhand what proportions that above mix was, but I recently did it somewhere AROUND 25% Skrip. The key is that Skrip is a very loud red, and doesn't hide behind other colors in a mix. I know Nikita is a bold red, but I just don't think it's THAT bright. But you will probably get a similar color with a Nikita-burg mix, I just don't think it will have the transcendental glow that mixes with Skrip Red have.

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

Cool, I've been curious ever since they both came out. I have a bottle of Napalm and it is indeed iodine red in color.

Nikita and Dragon's Napalm are definitely different colors.

Thanks Ann for bringing up the confusing descriptions of Napalm and Nikita. I've seen a couple of online stores list these colors as the same. I think Swisher's was one of them. (Not to knock Swisher Pens, they've been a joy to order from and I love the Swishmixes!)

Thanks too to everyone who posted the definite information and scans revealing that these are different colors. Of course, now I want to order a bottle of the Nikita. Does anyone know if it looks significantly different from Swisher's Devil Red?

Loved the review, especially the rose at the end! I hope you post lots more!

Edited by DilettanteG

• 2 months later...

interesting color and thanks for the review .

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 years later...

Thanks for this review--very helpful. I think I'll buy a bottle of this for correcting papers. The brightness allows me to put less ink down without my students missing what I've written.