Lamy Studio Palladium

MikeLip

I found myself liking the look of the Studio, but wanted a gold nib. Fortunately, Lamy obliges with the Palladium. The nib is a wonderful gold and platinum affair that, despite it's utilitarian looks typical of Lamy, writes like a dream. But lets not get ahead of ourselves...

Looks; The Lamy is determinedly minimalist, with a few flairs. The clip (which Lamy waxes nauseatingly rhapsodic about - I mean, come on. It's a POCKET CLIP, not Bridget Bardots bust line) is attractive and functional. The pen is a brushed palladium color and basically looks like it is made of aluminum. The only break in the overall starkness of the pen is the discreetly placed, black imprinted Lamy name. It's beautiful to my eye, but may be too plain for some.

Taking the cap off and posting gives you a streamlined instrument. Still good looking.

Feel; The pen is heavy for it's size. It's definitely not some flimsy plastic toy. We're talking metal here. The pen feel robust in the hand. The metal warms quickly to the touch which is nice. The metal grip section is smooth but offers adequate grip. A little flare would have been welcome but would have spoiled the lines. The pen tapers into the nib nicely.

Writing; I chose and extra fine nib, and I'm glad I did. Typically of Lamy, the EF nib writes more like a fine. I loaded it with Diamine Sapphire Blue (of course) and it lays down a rich wet line. The pen glides over paper with no tooth to speak of - a very smooth writer indeed. The pen is just slightly top heavy when posted, but not uncomfortably so. The pen is made to be posted. There is a slight lip on the end of the barrel for the cap to snap on to when posted, so there should be no posting marks on your lovely metal skin. But either posted or not, it's a comfortable writer.

The pen comes with a nice converter, although I wish it were a piston filler like the 2000. That's OK though. The pen is overall a very satisfying instrument and seems like it ought to last a lifetime.

Pros; Good streamlined looks. Marvelous nib. Good weight and balanced, posted or not.

Cons; Somewhat slick grip section. Yet another C/C filler. I think it would have been marvelous as a lever or piston fill.

Picture is taken from the Lamy website.

post-2619-1204906650_thumb.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MikeLip

• dpmahon

• purpledog

• ilubiano

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review. It's stunning. I want a white one.

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

Thanks. I enjoyed reading. This tool is on my list. I am more into the s/s business, though.

Don´t know exactly what it is - maybe I have a gold allergy :lol: or maybe s/s suits the minimalistic design better. But that´s personal bias.

The clip (which Lamy waxes nauseatingly rhapsodic about - I mean, come on. It's a POCKET CLIP, not Bridget Bardots bust line) is attractive and functional.

Yeah! You are right. It´s just a clip. BTW - when talking french ladies I prefer Catherine Deneuve

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/160/255489.jpg

- classic beauty paired with a brilliant mind. Turn her into a pen and I´ll buy :meow:

Cheers

Unic

Thanks. I enjoyed reading. This tool is on my list. I am more into the s/s business, though.

Don´t know exactly what it is - maybe I have a gold allergy :lol: or maybe s/s suits the minimalistic design better. But that´s personal bias.

The clip (which Lamy waxes nauseatingly rhapsodic about - I mean, come on. It's a POCKET CLIP, not Bridget Bardots bust line) is attractive and functional.

Yeah! You are right. It´s just a clip. BTW - when talking french ladies I prefer Catherine Deneuve

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/160/255489.jpg

- classic beauty paired with a brilliant mind. Turn her into a pen and I´ll buy :meow:

Cheers

Unic

I'm 51 years old, and I *still* have a crush on Bridget Bardot. Oh, and Barbara Eden :)

Thanks for the review. I haven't owned a Lamy yet. Can't decide to get a Lamy Studio or a Lamy 2000. Please don't tell me to get both. I would if I could. :)

purpledog

Thanks for the review. I haven't owned a Lamy yet. Can't decide to get a Lamy Studio or a Lamy 2000. Please don't tell me to get both. I would if I could. :)

purpledog

That's a really tough choice. They both have things going for them. The 2000 of course is a piston filler and basically will suck all the ink out of a bottle on one fill. It's also lighter than the Palladium. It doesn't always post well though. The nibs are great on both.

I guess I'd go for the Studio if you were limited on funds, and for some extra money I'd go for either the Palladium or the 2000 since they are nearly the same price. If the 2000 posted better, I think I'd go for it over the Palladium.

I like both; have 1 studio in stainless, ef, the other studio is Palladium with 1.1 italic. Stainless is much lighter and has rubber on the grip. 3-2000's, ef, f, & M.

Edited by dpmahon

"If the pen is mightier than the sword I am indeed well armed!"

D.P. Mahon

purpledog

That's a really tough choice. They both have things going for them. The 2000 of course is a piston filler and basically will suck all the ink out of a bottle on one fill. It's also lighter than the Palladium. It doesn't always post well though. The nibs are great on both.

I guess I'd go for the Studio if you were limited on funds, and for some extra money I'd go for either the Palladium or the 2000 since they are nearly the same price. If the 2000 posted better, I think I'd go for it over the Palladium.

But as you yourself said, it is a tough choice. I myself am currently debating between palladium and 2000. I have a SS studio, and it's a wonderful writer, so i can only imagine the palladium and the 2000 to be even better, since they're more refined and have gold nibs. I spose i'll have to leave it to a coin toss, and then get the other one down the line. :roflmho:

Canada sure is cold.

Greetings - Owning both the Lamy 2000 and Studio Palladium are both excellent pens. If you had to choose only one the choice can be narrowed down based on weight. If you like a heavy pen the Palladium is the one to get. If you like a pen that is light then it is the 2000 will do nicely.

Edited by Steven

Avatar painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905) titled La leçon difficile (The difficult lesson)

I've been eying this pen myself! It's a real stunner! I was just wondering, is there any flex in the nib at all? Line variation, responsiveness... etc etc..

I've been eying this pen myself! It's a real stunner! I was just wondering, is there any flex in the nib at all? Line variation, responsiveness... etc etc..

If you want flex get the 2000, if you like rigid the Studio Palladium is the way to go.

"If the pen is mightier than the sword I am indeed well armed!"

D.P. Mahon

I find the gold nibs on the Palladium Lamy to be more flexible than those on the regular Studio and Safari. I would have to say that the F nib on one of my Palladiums is probably the most flexible nib that I have on a pen right now.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional and illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

The 2000 does seem to have a softer nib than the Palladium. I am not sure I go along with flexible, since that implies the ability to change line width. I don't know if the Palladium is very good at that.

I can tell you this much. The 2000 always felt like writing on roller skates. There is little or no drag to the nib. The Palladium is very smooth and completely without tooth in any direction but there is some slight resistance to movement, almost like it's pushing through heavy grease if you follow. I really enjoy writing with it. The slight drag gives more control and my handwriting is more legible for it. The steel nibs are also quite smooth but don't give the same feel.

I have a Studio Palladium (but not the 2000) and I have to say that the combination of weight, slippery metal and relatively 'fat' pen does make it a little bit wearing for me to use for any length of time. I find that my thumb does seem to ache after a bit and the slipperiness means I can't keep a consistent grip on the pen. but the pen is a real looker that's for sure. Be aware also that the clip will make a short mark on the cap even with relatively little use (as mine has had).

I should also add that my nib was very toothy and required a bit of micromeshing before it acquired the required smoothness. I know most have found the 200 nib to be exemplary in terms of smoothness so this may be something else to consider.

Edited by garyc

Nice review, this is another pen on my one day, maybe list. An ever growing list

Between the L2K and this though, well the 2000 is just unbeatable imo.

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475