Montblanc Sir Georg Solti

Brian

Montblanc Sir Georg Solti

February 21, 2008

1. Introduction - This 2005 pen is one of those produced annually by MB as part of its Donation Series themed on musicians past that sometimes includes both a ballpoint as well as a fountain pen. This review is for the fountain pen.

2. First Impressions - Sorry, once again I have not posted any photos.

The packaging for this piece is ostentatious considering the retail price of $500. It comes in a very large rectangular box of expensive (well-made) cardboard with a "printed in Germany" note. The box contains: (1) a booklet on the life and times of Sir Solti, who according to Wikipedia was born on 21 October 1912 and died 5 September 1997, and was a 31-time Grammy Award winning, world-renowned Hungarian-British orchestral and operatic conductor; (2) the MB warranty and instruction book; (3) a boxed set of playing cards for the game of bridge (apparently a game Solti liked); and (4) the pen.

IMO the packaging is overkill. Even if I knew more of the man, I think that for this product that the pen is the main course and can do very well without so much accompanying stuff.

The Solti is a handsome 146 sized instrument that is neither a flat top nor torpedo. The color is basic black and the ends are of two truncated cones on a round barrel that I think works well. All trim is silver color with special attention to the cap. The clip, according to MB, suggests the two white and one black middle keys of a piano, and the cap trim ring suggests five of the piano strings strung inside the piano. I feel that while this makes a more abstract depiction of the musical theme than the earlier MB Karajan, it is an inspired design that is modern and tasteful. Solti's signature in red is placed below the cap on the barrel and contrasts with the overall black and silver color scheme.

2. Appearance & Finish - This is a very sober looking black pen with very good fit and finish. There are no embellishments except for the silver trim rings on the clip and cap lip, and just above the piston filler knob. At the top of the black cap the white MB star is set into a molded or cut inset that perfectly contrasts the black and white colors. This attention to detail is a welcome one with the benefit of long term good looks, e.g., were the white star painted on it would be lost with the paint.

The fit of the cap and threading are good as well. The threading is triple cut with 1.75 turns on and off.

3. Design/ Size/Weight - This is a classic design that is neither oversized nor too small. Solti posts well, but feels equally good writing with the cap off.

It is funny how time changes things. I feel that a few decades ago that this pen would be considered heavy with its brass piston filler. Today, amidst many metal pens it is considered nearly ideal with enough weight and gravity so as to allow one to "feel" this is a solid and substantive piece. Altogether the impression is of a quality, well-made pen.

4. Nib Design & Performance - Among the many manufacturers of FPs I have always admired MB's broad nibs. They have a profile very close to a stub and have great definition between the up and down and cross strokes. The nib on this example is exceptionally smooth and would make both a great daily writer and a fine signature pen.

About MB medium nibs - I've found that in general MB medium nibs are not far from the width of their broad points except that the medium is more of a round ball without the great profile of their broad points.

Performance is quite good and start up upon removal of the cap is immediate and with good flow (Private Reserve Fiesta Red). No ink starvation, nib drying out, or skipping has occurred so far with 1 to 3 pages at a time written. This is pretty significant to me so I am in heaven.

5. The Filling System - This is a traditional piston fill pen and it works without problem. The real test is how it fares years down the road. That question can't be answered here but I can say that almost all of my MB piston fillers have not had a failure in about 10 or so years of ownership (knock on wood). Only once about five years ago there was a problem with a binding piston on a 149 that was fixed. That problem has not resurfaced since.

There is a small ink viewing window just below the section. I love this feature and wish the view into this miniature sea of ink were larger. The ink view window is tinted blue.

6. Cost/Value- At retail this piece goes for $500 which I understand is the middle upper tier of FPs. Because I purchased the Solti for less than this it represents solid value and a fine addition to the family.

7. Overall Opinion/Conclusion - I find this pen a little aloof for its design but love its performance. The MB star while instantly recognizable also makes for some interesting perceptions by non-fountain pen people who think it is either a piece of fashion fluff or an expensive accessory for those seeking status. This is wrong on both counts as Solti is merely a well made and very good writing pen that allows us to connect and commune with the written word.

Thanks for reading.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian

• greencobra

• I am not a number

• mdiaz

I missed this review when it was first posted a couple of days ago. Your review is precise but I get the impression you really have no opinion of it. Ah, we all have differnt taste. I like MB myself although I do agree somewhat pricey. Now for me, I like this pens looks...a lot. It is simple. Putting aside the ink view window that's all MB, one could mistake this pen for another manufacturer. I've not held one never mind write with one but I'd expect it to live up to MB standards. I'm glad you shared your thoughts with us on this.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

I missed this review when it was first posted a couple of days ago. Your review is precise but I get the impression you really have no opinion of it. Ah, we all have differnt taste. I like MB myself although I do agree somewhat pricey. Now for me, I like this pens looks...a lot. It is simple. Putting aside the ink view window that's all MB, one could mistake this pen for another manufacturer. I've not held one never mind write with one but I'd expect it to live up to MB standards. I'm glad you shared your thoughts with us on this.

Thats pretty close to the mark. I like the pen as a very good writer, but I guess I am still getting to know it.

Good review. The pen is beautiful...I like it because it is a very "formal" looking black pen. I really do not have the intention to use it very often...as I love just to admire my pens every once in a while, and I have a few that I use all the time..

Thank you for taking the time to write about this...

I saw Solti conduct Mussorgsky's Pictures from an Exhibition at the Royal Albert Hall in London in 1981.

It was an amazing performance of one of my favourite pieces of classical music.

I don't know how to put this, but Solti is kind of a big deal...

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

I saw Solti conduct Mussorgsky's Pictures from an Exhibition at the Royal Albert Hall in London in 1981.

It was an amazing performance of one of my favourite pieces of classical music.

I don't know how to put this, but Solti is kind of a big deal...

Yes, from what I have gathered Solti was a great man. The review is limited to the FP bearing his name. If I may venture an opinion perhaps Solti the FP carries similar traits such as great attention to detail that are based on some inspiration (e.g., they are not merely put there for looks), fine performance, and a formal appearance.

Best Regards