Visconti Metropolis Gunmetal Review

Bultaco

This is my first review, so please bear with me.

Visconti Metropolis Gunmetal Review:

Background: This was the first of 7 new fountain pens I've recently purchased. These things can be quite addictive! The pen was purchased from WoeldLux. Marshe was extremely patient with me, and answered all my questions with great detail. WorldLux is a great place to buy pens, as long as you do your background research to ensure that you're not paying too much. This particular pen was listed at a price less than similar EBay Metropolis Pens, so it seemed OK to me.

First Impressions (3/5): The box the pen comes in is quite handsome, and would be even nicer if it were real wood. The paper veneer is tough to prove as "not real", but close examination reveals the consistent grain around corners where the grain in real wood would vary. Still, its a nice enough box, if perhaps a little large. The pen was sent in a clear plastic sheath with the Visconti logo imprinted on it.

Appearance (3.5/5): The Metropolis Gunmetal looks GREAT! Very simple design, with a "rounded square" cross section. The coating creating the gunmetal color is Ruthenium. It is said to make the sterling silver very hard (on the surface) and scratch resistant. It also allows fingerprints and skin oil in general to show up REALLY well. Every time you touch it, oil streaks are left behind. Barring this, the pen is simply beautiful, with the emphasis on simple. With so little ornamentation, it may not appeal to those seeking something flashy. This pen is very low-key, except for its incredible shine, and elegant dark grey (gunmetal) color.

Design/Size/Weight (4/5): Great design, as the nib retracts into the body of the pen. This is a novel feature, and one that amazes all who see it. However, since you must still remove the cap (screw off) and set it aside (or post on back of pen), the retractable nib seems more of a gimmick than a truly useful feature. Also, it is possible to extend the nib with the cap screwed on... this would likley damage the nib if it is extended with too much force with the cap on. With the cap off, the twist mechanism to extend the nib is extremely smooth. Just like a knife through butter. The nib stays extended during writing at all times... no tendancy to creep back inside the pen barrel.

The rounded square cross section is gorgeous, but not the most comfortable to hold, as most hands just don't form a square when holding pens. If you hold close to the nib, its OK.

Weight is on the heavy side, but that's not because its made entirely of metal. See next paragraph:

The actual construction is my only gripe about design: The pen has many components, many of which are plastic or resin. These are covered in Sterling Sheet that is quite thin, and I learned... maleable. A buddie's girlfriend was examining the pen, and accidentally dented the soft silver near the clip while trying to extend the clip. It didn't seem as though undue pressure was applied to the pen body, but it still took a hit. The dent is on the "rounded corner" of the square shape. and disassemby of the cap seemed impractical. So I simply found a sterling logo from some other object (a pair of sunglasses to be precise), bent it to fit the curvature of the silver, and glued it on with white glue as a test. It looked great, and covered the dent perfectly. Not sure how happy Viscontu would be with me, but oh well... its mine so I can deface it if I please.

Nib (4/5): The nib was initially a little scratchy, but that was in part because of unreliable ink flow. I was Quink, which I am told may be too thin, and could cause flow interruptions. Since changing to Monteverde ink meant for the MegaInk Ball, it writes just fine. Very smooth. This is a FINE nib.

Filling System (4/5): The filling system uses Visconti's unique system where you extend (via pushbutton) a small button on the back end of the pen. Then, extend the nib, place nib in ink well, and turn the small button to fill. There is a somewhat scratchy feeling when twisting to fill, but it apppears normal. But the fill action is nowhere as smooth as the nib-extend action. The fill mechaniusm cannot be extended when the nib is extended to prevent inadvertant ink expulsion.

Cost/Value (4/5): At 430 USD, the pen seems like a fair deal. In all honesty, since the silver is so very soft and prone to denting, I would have appreciated a note from Visconti warning me of the delicate nature of the silver. Eith that or a caution to beware women with expensive Salon Acrylic nails! (heehee).

Conclusion: Very interesting and austere pen. Perfect for those who want to make a silent and strong impression without trying. Seemeingly impervious to scratches, but highly dent prone... use with caution, and be even more caution who you let handle it!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bultaco

• QM2

• Ghost Plane

• Hoarder68

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Yard O Led is the closest thing to what I would class as sterling silver. Most of the other have silver so thin they need some other material as a base to keep the pen from denting easily.

wow... this was one of the most bizarre and captivating pen reviews I have ever read. thank you : )

QM2

QM2:

Thanks for the feedback. Never quite sure what would be interesting and useful to others, as everyone's requirements and expectations must be quite different. I hope you'll find subsequent reviews as entertaining, and hopefully even helpful in choosing, or simply appreciating fountain pens.

Regards,

Bultaco

I have the pen with a B nib. Interesting to hear about the denting as I haven't banged it around yet and will take greater care in doing so. My hands are fairly small and I usually prefer larger pens [see my love affair with Yard O Leds], but the square shape fits my grip perfectly. I hold pens way back on the body and posted, this pen is very comfortable to use for extended periods of time. My B nib is wet, luscious, juicy and floats over the page using everything from PR Tanzanite to J Herbin Bresil to Visconti Black. Nib extension is smoooooooth. Filling is a little less so. I assume the threads on the piston?

Fingerprints. If there's a down fall to this pen, it's being a magnet for fingerprints. The design is so lovely, I wipe it with a cotton hanky and ignore the rest. I got mine from Ben at Outletline over Christmas in the $300 ballpark and it's been a regular user since.

I'd give it a high rating as well as it's gone onto my daily user rotation. The nib is perfection.

I believe Yard O Led is the closest thing to what I would class as sterling silver. Most of the other have silver so thin they need some other material as a base to keep the pen from denting easily.

It's the usual trick to save money, unfortunately. If you like thick silver, you might consider the new Onoto pens, one of which has been reviewed on this forum.

Interesting review, well done. I've been looking at this pen for a while but I'm going to hold off a bit. I think the prices are coming down a little too.

I'd try and get that dent repaired. Did you read the Visconti thread regarding their customer service? Ken Jones of Visconti USA posted his e-mail addy in case anyone wanted to get in touch with him regarding repair issues. Get in touch, he sounds like a good guy. To paraphrase Ken "kjones5369@gmail.com and my direct number is 202-498-5747. Ken Jones of Visconti USA"

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!