Visconti Black Divina (Mid-Size)

Immoteus

First Impressions - I was initially attracted to the Divine Proportion until I asked about the "divine" retail price. Then I heard about Black Divina coming out and I knew I had to try it out. Fortunately, I had time to attend the LA Pen Show on Saturday and today. After browsing around I found a decent deal at Bittner's table (25% off retail). Their service was excellent and accommodating, I initially bought the oversize model and found it too big for my taste. (Most importantly, the saleslady, Veronica was a quite cutie! :wub: :wub: :wub: ) The pen came in a faux leather box with a booklet (the oversize model comes with a small bottle of Visconti black ink).

post-10295-1203301048_thumb.jpg

Nib Design & Performance - The nib that came with the pen is excellent. It is a wet 14k medium nib and writing with it felt very smooth, like braking on ice with greased tires (only minus the panic and mayhem, etc...) However, since I prefer my nibs to have a touch of feedback I might convert it into a stub.

post-10295-1203301081_thumb.jpg

Appearance/Finish/Design/Size/Weight - The pen made of High Gloss Black Acrylic and silver to put emphasis on the edges (Read: fingerprint magnet). The picture below will give you a better idea of the Design and size of the pen. The cap is a flat top, comes with a spring loaded clip and has a spring/latch/hook system so when the pen is capped the lines match up perfectly. As for the weight, its heavier than all pens in the picture which should give you some idea as to the heft of the pen.

post-10295-1203301096_thumb.jpg

post-10295-1203301061_thumb.jpg

post-10295-1203301108_thumb.jpg

(Pens from top to bottom: Pilot Custom 742, Pilot Bamboo, Black Divina, Lamy Studio)

The Filling System - The Black Divina (both models) come with an intergrated piston filling system. Whereas the Divine Proportion and Desert Springs both come with a touchdown filler. So becareful and read the instructions on the knob!

Cost/Value - The retail price on this pen is $660 with my discount was $495 so it wasn't a bad deal but it wasn't a good one either. I would recommend purchasing the pen used or when its closer to the $350 mark. Either that or find a pen store with an attractive salesperson to help you forget about the high price tag.

Edited by MYU

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Immoteus

• goodguy

• alvarez57

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the review.

I believe Pam is selling the OS model for 500$,I dont know how much for the mid size but I am sure its cheapper.

Respect to all

Ah, but you know me. I'm a size junkie. 149s are perfect, my Ripple is the only pen I write with unposted and Van Gogh Maxis are just long enough. :bunny01:

Thanks for the review. I just played with one of these today at Paradise Pen. I love the way the accent ribs line up with the spring loaded cap.

GP: "size junkie", broad nibs . . . . I see a pattern here :rolleyes: The Full size Divina would fit you to a tee. My only comment would be that 1) the section is a bit short and 2) there is no way to check the ink level.

Thanks for the review...this is one I've been watching but not willing to pay +400. 'm with GP, I lik'em big but with M or F nib.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Thank you all for the positive feedback! GP, reason I switched to the mid-size wasn't because of the length but because of the weight distribution. The Oversize (unposted) felt top heavy when I held it in my hands and you can already guess how it felt posted!

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers