Aurora 88 M Nib

AKAGodSent

So, at least two people asked for a review of this new acquisition and after finding myself doing nothing on a Friday night aside from sitting at the computer and listening to Chris de Burgh I decided I'd just write one up right now :).

I first learned about this pen while trying to find some good/excellent 'paper' stores in NYC in one of my earlier threads. Someone happened to mention that they bought an Aurora 88 and they weren't even thinking about what to get next. Well, that in and of itself said something! I was intrigued and inquired at Altman Luggage if I could try it out the next time I was there. I didn't wind up buying it, rather another pen which I later returned (if that isn't a sign I don't know what is!). So finally after a few months I remembered how much I enjoyed writing with the 88 and how light it was. Today, taking my car into the city I stopped by three locations and wound up purchasing some inks, notebooks, and a brand new Aurora 88!

I noticed that people do their reviews by 'category' so I figure I'll try it that way as well:

Appearance: 5/5

Starting with the outer and inner cases:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0783.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0784.jpg

I definitely like Aurora 'inner' case as it reminds me of the Visconti case I received with my Black Storm. The outer seems a bit 'abused' but that's fine by me, I care more about what it has in it!

Now the pen itself:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0785.jpg

This pen was actually all black aside from the clip, but I wanted the 'chrome' looking cap so they took it off another pen from the display and put it on this one :) the rest of the pen is the exact same so I saw no problem with that. The pen's design is quite simple; black with a silver band close to the end and between the two smaller silver bands is an 'ink window' which you'll see in a later picture(s) so you can see how much ink is left, a very nice feature. Some might think it nothing special but I think it's perfect in its simplicity.

Pictures of the cap and the pen:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0786.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0787.jpg

Here you can see the 'ink window.'

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0788.jpg

A comparison shot with my 1911 Sailor, it's without the cap the Aurora is a bit longer, with the cap the Sailor is a bit longer. The Aurora is LIGHT the cap is heavier than the pen itself. That's probably what I love most about this pen, the light weight.

The Nib (5/5)

So far I think the nib is excellent if not perfect, some pictures:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0790.jpg

14K white gold nib, I took the Medium. I wanted to try out the Fine but they didn't have any, and personally, the medium writes like my cross compact fine (see next picture) so I was perfectly fine with getting a Medium. I dislike having to order pens, if I come for one, I usually like to get one.

Filling System (5/5)

Piston filling with a 'hidden reservoir', as pointed out, you can see how much ink you have left through the ink window and it's quite easy to fill up. This pen also holds a very good amount of ink. When filling up you don't have to drown it in ink past the nib and you can even see if any is being 'sucked in' through the window in the beginning.

A picture of how it writes:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0793.jpg

I don't know how well you can tell, but its line pretty much resembles the Cross Compact F, which is my favorite writer (well, perhaps until now!).

Price/Value (5/5)

The best price I was quoted for this pen was $210, Altman Luggage (as pretty much always) matched the price and it was mine! I think it's a fair price for this pen, it might not have the nicest outward appearance, but it's elegant enough for me and of course it's light weight and great nib make up for any 'lacking' the outside might have.

Edited by AKAGodSent

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AKAGodSent

• FrankB

• CharlieB

• Shelley

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening Yann -

Looks like you and I each spent a Friday night with a good pen and our laptop. My background music was Michael Buble.

Good call on substituting the silver cap. That change gives the pen a more retro look. Very nice.

Congrats buddy. Have a good weekend playing with your new toy. Burn some ink.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

Evening Yann -

Looks like you and I each spent a Friday night with a good pen and our laptop. My background music was Michael Buble.

Good call on substituting the silver cap. That change gives the pen a more retro look. Very nice.

Congrats buddy. Have a good weekend playing with your new toy. Burn some ink.

I'm reading your review at the moment! I have a few comments...almost done. And thanks for the kind words, as always.

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

great review. I got my AUrora 88 F (small version with C/C fill) for 236! Does Altman Luggage match online prices?

I got mine in a fine nib, and I use it everyday to take notes. It runs beautifully in the aurora blue ink.

Thanks for discussing the weight, always an important consideration for me since I prefer heavy pens. :thumbup:

I'm jealous. I spent last night collating tax information for my accountant. :sick:

I'm jealous. I spent last night collating tax information for my accountant. :sick:

Given the choice of collating tax information or listening to Chris de Burgh lead me to the box files crammed with receipts...

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

I just took receipt this week of the 88 with the black cap. I agree 1000% with your impressions. I wrote a mile of notes yesterday with my medium nib and it was flawless. And the piston is amazing.

I also have the 88 with in all black with silver trim and it is a very nice pen. No issues at all, just a reliable, nice looking pen!

Thanks for the review

Nikolaos

great review. I got my AUrora 88 F (small version with C/C fill) for 236! Does Altman Luggage match online prices?

I got mine in a fine nib, and I use it everyday to take notes. It runs beautifully in the aurora blue ink.

Yes they do. Since they already know me there I just have to go in there and tell them a price, don't even have to find the site or quote an e-mail, and thus far they've always matched or beaten all the prices I bring to them.

Given the choice of collating tax information or listening to Chris de Burgh lead me to the box files crammed with receipts...

Well, to each their own :).

Thanks for discussing the weight, always an important consideration for me since I prefer heavy pens. :thumbup:

Ghost, you need the large silver version of this pen (silver cap AND silver barrel). It is heavy. Unfortunately, it is out of production, but you may be able to score one on eBay or from one of the European retailers. The small silver version is still in production, but it is a c/c filler.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

This is a good review. Thank you.

I have had an O/S 88 for a number of years and I remain very happy with it. I had mine retrofitted with an Aurora M italic nib and I love it. I hope you enjoy your pen, and that you get the same long term durability from yours that I am getting from mine.

Yann wrote:

" ... it might not have the nicest outward appearance ... "

That is the only thing you said that I disagree with. I think the Aurora 88 has a timeless look that is right in there with the MontyB 149 and Parker 51. The 88 not only functions excellently, it looks like a fountain pen. :thumbup:

This is a good review. Thank you.

I have had an O/S 88 for a number of years and I remain very happy with it. I had mine retrofitted with an Aurora M italic nib and I love it. I hope you enjoy your pen, and that you get the same long term durability from yours that I am getting from mine.

Yann wrote:

" ... it might not have the nicest outward appearance ... "

That is the only thing you said that I disagree with. I think the Aurora 88 has a timeless look that is right in there with the MontyB 149 and Parker 51. The 88 not only functions excellently, it looks like a fountain pen. :thumbup:

Well, I am comparing it to say my MP5 and Delta Israel 60th or even the Visconti Black Storm, all are worth much more than this pen (as is the MB 149) and all (except the MB 149) have a nicer outer look, if you ask me. But as I said, it is perfectly fine for me in its simplicity.

Well done and welcome to a great pen - I almost went for the 88, then the Optima came along and it was a done deal and its a wonderful pen!

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Well done and welcome to a great pen - I almost went for the 88, then the Optima came along and it was a done deal and its a wonderful pen!

What made you get the Optima instead of the 88 and which version of the Optima did you get?

Edited by AKAGodSent