Visconti Black

chuancao

Here's my short written review of Visconti black. Hope it helps.

I noticed that after it dries, it's actually quite dark! I am beginning to like it a little more now.

post-10977-1201877533_thumb.jpg

Edited by chuancao

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chuancao

• CharlieB

• sandeep108

• Freddypipsqueek

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Per one of the mod's request, I am adding a little more to this.

I just want to say that the dry time is rather quick, and with my Visconti Opera Club, there is little or no shading with the fine nib. On the paper that I am using (regular staples paper) there is practically no bleeding or feathering. I had a few minor issues with my new Visconti and just realized that when used with a wet writer, the ink can get quite dark! And when it's dry (I had a converter issue in which the ink wouldn't flow well) it gets really really light and grey. So I guess if you have a wet pen, by all means, get the Visconti. You'll like the result. But if you have a dry Pelikan, stay away from it if you hate greys!

The dry time is rather quick. Generally no smearing after 5 seconds.

Hope this helps! Sorry for not being as detailed earlier!

Thanks! This pretty well covers what we'd like to know about the ink. Hope you'll do some more reviews for us when you have time. :)

Best, Ann

Thanks for the review. I have not cracked open the bottle that came with my pen. I may need to give it atry.

Same here. I started using the Visconti turquoise which is a lovely ink and the black (I got an extra complimentary bottle) still lies unopened. Frankly I do not know how many years it will take me to use all the ink I have...!

Received a bottle with a Visconti pen. Ta for your review!!

Just wanted to quickly add something here. I mentioned in a few other posts about my new Visconti's converter ink flow issues. Following people's advice, I flushed the pen with soap detergent and cold water, all to no avail. I was curious this afternoon and decided to see how the ink would flow with my Aurora Blue ink. Surprisingly it flowed a lot better. With the Visconti Black, there was practically no ink movement unless you tap or shake the converter. While Aurora blue in the Visconti converter does not flow as smoothly as it does in my Aurora converter, the improvement is tremendous. I hope it will fix the converter flow isse.

For those who plan on using Visconti black ink in their Visconti converters, be prepared for some major flow issues! (By the way, I did try to add just a very very tiny amount of dishwash soap IN the converter with the ink and it worked. BUt the flow was a bit too generous for me and there were all sorts of soap bubbles like a bubble bath so I decided to clean up the pen and use regular ink).

One kind person on the board told me that patience will actually solve this Visconti converter issue, but I guess I was a bit impatient. In the mean time, I am kind of upset that Visconti would make such a problematic ink/converter combo. Hope this helps.

Edited by chuancao

Thanks for the update. I wonder if other Visconti inks have the same flow problems with a converter. Hopefully, someone that uses one of the other colors with a converter will chime in and let us know.

Best, Ann

Thanks for the update. I wonder if other Visconti inks have the same flow problems with a converter. Hopefully, someone that uses one of the other colors with a converter will chime in and let us know.

Best, Ann

I am thinking it's probably not the ink's fault as the fault lies in the converter. After using Aurora blue in my Visconti converter, it seems to be flowing fine. I have switched my Visconti black on to my AUrora 88 pen and I realized that the black flows really liberally in my Aurora converter.

One other thing I noticed is that on my Aurora 88, the Visconti has reverted to its original "light black" status. But like I said above, I actually enjoy the elegence of the weak black.

Try once again switching inks after using the blue for some time. You may find the black starts working well. I found this out in my converter. After a couple of uses of MB turquoise, the Visconti turquoise worked well on switching and now both work very well in the converter.

Try once again switching inks after using the blue for some time. You may find the black starts working well. I found this out in my converter. After a couple of uses of MB turquoise, the Visconti turquoise worked well on switching and now both work very well in the converter.

Sandeep108: Thanks for your simple word - "patience." Right now I am just too lazy washing the pen out to switch! Plus, I have already converted my Aurora FP to the black Visconti! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Best, Ann

I use 2 colors of Visconti inks separately and mixed in Namiki, Waterman, Caran d'Ache and Visconti pens. All my pens but the Waterman use a converter. I like the inks because they are pretty wet. My experience with the black is that it is darker than most blacks (Aurora is darker though).

Both inks work well on all papers I have used. The Namiki does not write well on one of my papers but that is more a function of the pen than it is the ink or converter. I have used the Namiki VP with cartridges and it had the same problem with this one paper.

The only problems I have had with the Visconti inks is in the Visconti Van Gogh pen. The sales rep told me that the nib needed some adjustment and that I could send it in to get fixed so I will probably do that. Other than that I have had great success with those 2 Visconti inks.

Btw, the red and very little black mixed make a wonderful dark blood reddish brown.

Edited by Artbeast

Arthur

www.renaissance-art.com

May I ask which two colors you have? It sounds like you have the black and red?

Have you tried the Sepia? See my thread in INKY THOUGHTS. I am interested in getting that color. If you have used it, can you let me know if the Sepia flows well?

Hey, so you actually think the black flows quite well huh?

Also, I have discovered that the Visconti Black is MUCH darker when used in my Opera Club and Cross Century. In my AUrora and MontBlanc LeGrand, the black is a bit washed out.

Edited by chuancao

I'm surprised that Visconti's black ink is so washed out looking, whereas their blue ink is rich and vibrant.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

The nib adjustment ought to fix it. I had to get a nib adjustment done on my new Pelikan M800 as it tended to skip on the vertical stroke and lay down a very pale line. Once this was done, it now is a very good writer (still prefer the Visconti Van Gogh, though) but the piston fill is better. I think I now have two very nice but very contrasting pens in that size range.

I have found the Visconti black to be a little "washed out" both in converter and cartidges, whereas other inks from the same pen or cart are wonderful, for a really good black I say go for the Aurora, I have not found a better one yet.

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Received a bottle with a Visconti pen. Ta for your review!!

Just wanted to quickly add something here. I mentioned in a few other posts about my new Visconti's converter ink flow issues. Following people's advice, I flushed the pen with soap detergent and cold water, all to no avail. I was curious this afternoon and decided to see how the ink would flow with my Aurora Blue ink. Surprisingly it flowed a lot better. With the Visconti Black, there was practically no ink movement unless you tap or shake the converter. While Aurora blue in the Visconti converter does not flow as smoothly as it does in my Aurora converter, the improvement is tremendous. I hope it will fix the converter flow isse.

For those who plan on using Visconti black ink in their Visconti converters, be prepared for some major flow issues! (By the way, I did try to add just a very very tiny amount of dishwash soap IN the converter with the ink and it worked. BUt the flow was a bit too generous for me and there were all sorts of soap bubbles like a bubble bath so I decided to clean up the pen and use regular ink).

One kind person on the board told me that patience will actually solve this Visconti converter issue, but I guess I was a bit impatient. In the mean time, I am kind of upset that Visconti would make such a problematic ink/converter combo. Hope this helps.

My wife was using the bottle that came with her new Van Gogh pen. She had flow issues too. I used Visconti black with the Wallstreet and did not have any problems. Touch and go it seems!!

I'm beginning to get the distinct impression that Visconti Black has flow issues.

This is really too bad, because I'm the proud of owner of six bottles of this ink -- all unopened. They arrived in the boxes for various Visconti pens I have purchased over the last several years.

I use mostly blue inks. When I use black ink, it is usually Waterman, Dupont, Aurora, Pelikan, or Sailor. I own bottles of Omas and Visconti that came with pens, but I've never tried either.

I have Noodlers Black, and dislike it, because it dries very very slowly. I've never tried any of the Private Reserve blacks, because the PR inks that I've tried are such slow driers.

I've thought about trying Parker Quink and Sheaffer Skrip black ink, but there's no rush, as I have so many other black inks.

Edited by CharlieB

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Charlie, I'm in the same boat as you. It seems to be hit or miss which pens will have issues with it. Voyager hates it, Art Nouveau tolerates it, Marlen button filler BB nib likes it. I'm not a black ink fan, so those bottles sat until I opened one to try it. Obviously it'll be awhile before I use it up, as I'm not a fan of black ink.

Here's my short written review of Visconti black. Hope it helps.

I noticed that after it dries, it's actually quite dark! I am beginning to like it a little more now.

I like visconti black however I find it a bit faint. Mix it 4 part VB to 1 part Private Reserve Sherwood Green and the green fills in the faint bits really nicely. This mix is clever enough for me to use at work.