Private Reserve Avacado

OldGriz

OK, my first ink evaluation....

Here is a sample of PR Avacado I tried out today in my Namiki VP Medium nib...

http://www.myfavoritepen.com/PR_Avacado.jpg

Overall, a very nice dark green with some grayish undertones, but no where near as gray as Noodler's Sequoia. Looks like the skin of a nice fresh avacado... MMMM might account for the name, HUH..

Laid down a nice wet line with the VP on just about all papers tried... feathered a bit on ink jet paper, but I expected that... I use cheap ink jet paper...

Still not exactly the color I am looking for, I might have try adding some Sherwood Green and mix some samples to get to the color of my pen ... This colored ink stuff is getting addictive...

I found no difference in color or toning between the medium and broad VP nibs... decided I like the medium better, so the broad is going to get regound to a stub one of these days...

I did notice that about an hour after writing the ink was definately darker than when first dried... not horribly darker, but enough to see.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• southpaw

• OldGriz

• Roger

• M4R1N4

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tom, it's surely a pretty color. Thanks for showing it off! And when you get the color mix that you want, be sure and show us that, also. Ink reviews are always eagerly awaited.

Best, Ann

Ooh, thanks for reviewing this ink. I have been wanting to see a sample of it becuse I think it is on my ever-growing list of inks to lust after. I just got a sample of the Army Green, which I really like, and I wondered how the avacado compared to it. Does anybody have any cents to add to that? Is Avacado greener where Army is more yellow?

I also really like Diamine Emerald, which has almost a hint of yellow (it is more of a warm (yellow?) than cool (blue? green). If anybody can compare this Avacado to either of these, it would be swell.

Thanks for the nice review!

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

I also really like Diamine Emerald, which has almost a hint of yellow (it is more of a warm (yellow?) than cool (blue? green). If anybody can compare this Avacado to either of these, it would be swell.

Thanks for the nice review!

to my eye - Avacado is pretty much a very saturated version of Diamine Emerald. They're very similar in shade, just that Avacado is typical PR density.

Avacado is a beautiful color. I used it obsessively for a while then... just stopped.

As hubby would say "Sounds like a personal problem to me." :P

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Thank you KCat - you just sped Avacado further up on the list! I just read the latest Inky Greetings from Pendemonium and they have a bunch of red and green inks on sale for the holidays. Unfortunately Avacado is not on the list... but Gruene Cactus is! :drool:

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

Looks like the skin of a nice fresh avacado... MMMM might account for the name, HUH..

Nope, they're even spelled differently, Tom! :lol: Love his inks, but Nathan can be spellingly challenged at times. In his defence, there's usually a reason for his spellings, but this one has me stumped. :unsure:

Good review, though, and that's a nice male hand you have there. Let's face it, most guys write like me, fast and sloppy! If you can turn that out at pretty good speed to boot, my hat's off to ya.

The color is quite similar to the Noodler's Green Marine. I went for the Green Marine because it is rated excellent in both water and sun resistance. Not "eternal" or "contract", but still better than most in those two categories.

How about Verdun in your quest for a nice pure green? It is a Noodler's/Swisher product and is "eternal".

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Roger, my handwriting is the product of 8 yrs of parochial school in the 50's... getting my hands blasted by rulers and pointers if I did not write neatly.... Can you even imagine that being done today.... we're lucky they teach our children to write cursive, much less neatly... And yes I can write that well quickly... of course my formal signature looks like chicken scratching... but that came from signing thousands of QA reports for years... :rolleyes:

I just placed an order from Pendemonium for some Clairefontaine Elasti-Books... could not pass up the price...

And of course my daughter wanted some PR Sunset Gold for her pen... she had me fill it with Avacado until it arrives... 6 yrs old and an ink junkie already :P

I also ordered some Gruene Cactus... I am going to try to mix some with the PR Avacado to brighten the color a bit...

OldGriz, would you post sample of Avocado with broad, or broad stub nib? I would like to see, how this ink looks with broader nibs. Is it similar to Noodler's Živago?

Currently I am using Spearmint, and it is great in fine nibs, but too light with broader nibs for my taste.

Regards,

Klemen

Klemen, I found absolutely no difference in color with the broad VP nib ... which is the only broad nib I own.... that is why I did not post the broad nib sample...

looked at it in room light and took it outside and saw no differenc...

NOW obviously, a broad nib on a Pelikan, or some other pen will probably react differently... we all know the VP nibs write finer...

I have not used Zivago... sorry nothing to compare it to.... I have used Sequoia and do like the Avacado a lot better....

Roger, my handwriting is the product of 8 yrs of parochial school in the 50's... getting my hands blasted by rulers and pointers if I did not write neatly.... Can you even imagine that being done today.... we're lucky they teach our children to write cursive, much less neatly... And yes I can write that well quickly... of course my formal signature looks like chicken scratching... but that came from signing thousands of QA reports for years... :rolleyes:

I just placed an order from Pendemonium for some Clairefontaine Elasti-Books... could not pass up the price...

And of course my daughter wanted some PR Sunset Gold for her pen... she had me fill it with Avacado until it arrives... 6 yrs old and an ink junkie already :P

I also ordered some Gruene Cactus... I am going to try to mix some with the PR Avacado to brighten the color a bit...

I have Noodlers Cactus Gruene and Verdun Green (permanent). To my untrained eyes, they look quite similar, although I haven't done a side-to-side yet. Perhaps I should do a quick dip or q-tip swab sometime?

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Looks like the skin of a nice fresh avacado... MMMM might account for the name, HUH..

Nope, they're even spelled differently, Tom! :lol: Love his inks, but Nathan can be spellingly challenged at times. In his defence, there's usually a reason for his spellings, but this one has me stumped. :unsure:

er... Avacado is PR's ink.

we had a lengthy discussion re: this some time back. The misspelling, according to someone at PR, was purely accidental in early production and it stuck. At least there's no confusing it with an ink called Avocado!

i had always wondered if it was named after someone called "Ava" but nope, nothing nearly so interesting. Just a flub. :)

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I have Noodlers Cactus Gruene and Verdun Green (permanent).  To my untrained eyes, they look quite similar, although I haven't done a side-to-side yet.  Perhaps I should do a quick dip or q-tip swab sometime?

Ok, lesson #1: don't trust someone who is not normally good at comparing colors.

Lesson #2: don't trust someone who is not good at comparing colors when he is doing it from memory.

Lesson #3: shut-up and post the scan.

Edit: the colors on the screen are quite a bit duller than what I see in person.

Edited by southpaw
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Haha, southpaw you are classic... I didn't think those two were very similar, but I have only seen samples in letters as I don't own either. Thanks for posting that! Too funny..

- Socrates

Color corrected scan - looks quite close to what I see on paper.

post-35-1132348025_thumb.jpg

Haha, southpaw you are classic... I didn't think those two were very similar, but I have only seen samples in letters as I don't own either. Thanks for posting that! Too funny..

Once I learned to laugh at myself, life suddenly became much funnier.

I agree, Roger, but can add that BOTH colors in Southpaw's 2nd scan look right on target.

Gruene Cactus is not only my favorite Noodler's regular line color, but my all time favorite green ink. It's the only one of the regular line that I've kept, due to my smearing problems with this line of inks. Thus, for everyday I use my green mix Cactus look-alike, and once in awhile I use the Cactus in a very fine nib.

Wish the Verdun wasn't as dull looking as it is!

Ann

Thanks so much for the review, Tom...and thank you Southpaw for the scans. The only green ink I have is Parker Quink (hey, I'm up here in Canada, OK?) but I know the pen shop downtown carries Private Reserve. My only reservation ( :rolleyes: ) about it has been the slow drying times I've experienced with my PR Tanzanite and PR Plum.... :unsure:

Are most PR inks slow-drying?

I have found most of the PR inks to be a bit slow drying...

The Noodler Red-Black I use dries a whole lot quicker...