Jinhao "Dragon Protects Precious Stone" Fountain Pen

hcsk8ter

Greetings,

I believe in order to give a thorough review of a pen, you have to have something to compare it to. So I'll tell you I own Sheaffers, Parkers, Lamy, Pelikans, Pilots and Montblancs, pretty well rounded. I own cheap pens such as the parker reflex and expensive quality pens such as the 75th Anniversary 149. Just figured I'd give some background to lend credence to my review:

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9821/jinhao1jp9.jpg

Construction: 8/10

Let me start by saying this is one gorgeous pen and pictures don't even do it justice. I chose this pen in particular because of its ornate decoration. In essence, a scuplted dragon circumnavigates the midesection of the pen protecting a precious cast iron stone. The dragons's eyes are two ruby colored stones and are perfectly placed and well done. This is a heavy pen. 48 grams! That's right. When you sit in a chair and write with this pen, you will feel important. The pen's midsection is a cast iron alloy finish and is a heap of metal. On either end of the pen are black resin caps both of which have threaded gold plated threading. Why you ask? Not only does this pen screw down on the threads to close the pen when you put it away, it has identical threading on top so when you post the pen, it will never dismount, since it screws down as well. Say goodbye to falling pen caps! This pen will make you drool! Lastly, the dragon sculpted into the midsection is gorgeous. It is ornately done. The dragon's raised claws, it's flowing plumes of feathers and its coiling tail: WOW !! The only drawback to this version of the pen is this....DRUMROLL PLEASE....The pen has no clip. Not sure why, maybe its weight but if you plan on carrying this pen, it should be in a secure pocket or a pen case. The good news is, there is a version of this pen that is slightly more money that has a ruby-colored stone and a clip. So that takes care of that.

Nib: 10/10

When I bought this pen, since it wasnt expensive, I didn't expect much, but I couldn't have been more wrong. This nib is quality. It is a 22 Karat Gold Plated Nib decorated with a dragon's head and ornate etchings the quality of a Montblanc fountain. It is sold as a medium nib, but writes more like a medium-fine.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/369/jinhao2ta5.jpg

How does it write? Isn't that the only thing that matters? That's what I thought. Well let me tell you this thing can do what it's meant for as well. It's not just sitting pretty. Boy can it write. Ink flow is excellent. It glides on regualar paper and is not too wet. For a pen, at this price it is top draw. Hands Down. No complaints.

Filling: 8/10

Unforuntately as much as I'd like to drool some more over this pen, it is a piston converter. It does hold a reasonable amount of ink. But coming from someone who owns an ink guzzling 149, piston converters are piston converters. The converter is well made, is etched in a rose colored cast iron "Jinhao" and is well constructed. Again very well made.

Value 10/10

Ok, you need to sit down for this. If someone handed me this pen and let me look it over, and write with it, not knowing anything about it, I would think it was a high price limited edition pen. It's not....high priced that is. :cloud9: It was....still sitting down?....ready?....ok fine...$36 US dollars including shipping from Japan. Not only was the pen worth it...I'm hungry for more Jinhaos. This pen has the quality of pens hundreds of dollars more and is very well made, heavy and quality. You need this pen.

Conclusions:

This pen is an excellent pen for the money. It writes well and is made with pride and quality. The only drawback to this pen and not to me but i'm sure it may be for some people: It is a heavy pen, some people would probably not write for hours on end with this beauty, although it doesn't bother me. The other drawback, again not to me, since I always carry a pen case, not pens in my pocket, is the lack of a pen clip. However, thinking about it...it would weigh down a shirt pocket, this pen belongs in a case! Also, this is a scuplted pen, you "feel" it when you write with it. It's bumps and curves do not affect the ability to write with it, if anything I think it enhances the writing experience. Where to buy this pen? The only place I've seen it, and where I bought it, www.ebay.com search "Jinhao Dragon" which should do it. Great. Super pen.

I hope you enjoyed this review and found it informative. Please post lots of feedback. This is my first review, and if you don't respond, I'll dig a hole in my wall and bury myself inside and never review a pen again. Just kidding.

Enjoy.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4690/jinhao3wh0.jpg

Edited by hcsk8ter

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dadoody

• oneill

• dogpoet

• prettypink

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm, I've been quite underwhelmed by Jinhao -- their fit and finish aren't in the same league as the first-tier pens from what I've seen (not much, admittedly).

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I'm sorry if I hi-jack your thread, but I've also bought a Jinhao pen on eBay recently. I got the "Commemorative Fountain Pen for Emperor Chin" :) After looking at your pictures I can only conclude that we have basically got the same pen but in different disguises. To bad you had to pay $36 for yours as I got a way with it for $15 ( $25 incl. postage) :P

I didn't have any higher expectations either, but when I filled it up and tried it for the first time I was rather amazed... The pen looks like "million dollars" but cost me only a buck :roflmho: I think it's a "fun" pen to have in my collection of fine writing instruments. Here's some pictures of my pen:

post-11642-1201552841_thumb.jpg

post-11642-1201552868_thumb.jpg

post-11642-1201552858_thumb.jpg

post-11642-1201552878_thumb.jpg

It came in a rather good-looking gift box, the outer sleeve had some nice pictures of the Chinese Terracotta warriors.

:happyberet:

Kind regards,

Karl

A rather amusing side note,

As the pen is lathed out of brass it's a rather heavy pen. The funny thing is that my colleges at work (who know nothing about fountain pens) thought that it was more expensive than my vintage Duofold and (newly acquired) Sailor 1911 as they tend to put the value in relation to the pens weight...

:ltcapd:

Kind regards,

Karl

Good review, hcsk8ter! Nice pics, too. I am a fan of Jinhao pens. While it's true that they seem to be all the same design with slightly different exteriors, mine wrote butter-smooth, right out of the box. They have very nice nibs for such inexpensive pens.

Lisa

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

Good review, seems to be the consensus of most of us owners, a good value for the money. When I got mine, it was just an interesting theme, the Red Army Long March, and I never anticipated a pen I could and do use. My Jinhao is still a champ. No complaints on build or function (except that damn pocket clip).

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry to bump the thread, but can you post it?, like, putting the cap on top?

From the review --

On either end of the pen are black resin caps both of which have threaded gold plated threading. Why you ask? Not only does this pen screw down on the threads to close the pen when you put it away, it has identical threading on top so when you post the pen, it will never dismount, since it screws down as well. Say goodbye to falling pen caps!

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Hmm...if they're that heavy,then maybe I can keep it handy as a weapon.Remember,

the sword is as mighty as the pen...... :ltcapd:

(Sorry--that really was bad...)

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

• 2 weeks later...

If they would make this pen of solid sterling silver with a 18K gold nib, I would gladly pay two and one half times the increased production cost for one of these pens.

very good review;) very original and nice pen

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 10 months later...

Value for money is what you get with any Jinhao or Baoer pens, ie, Solid Brass construction, great Nibs, free convertor, great designs, excellent finishes, all for around $20.00 Max what more could you want, and Write you should feel how smooooooooooooooth these pens write they leave pens which cost ten times more for dead. Jinhao Lover

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Jinhao 'Dragon Protects Precious Stone' FPs also come with a golden design. I'm not sure though...

Just a question (though I think it should be put in another forum...), how do you find out which number Jinhao pens are?

Edited by wobbuffet

You can't go saying nice things about Jinhao pens; everyone will want one and drive up the price. :thumbup:

Everything you say is in line with my experience with the brand. Great nib, but very heavy.

I've only had one problem with Jinhao is that there is no consistency in their middle and entry level offerings. You might get one amazing pen and a stinker in the same pack. One never knows what to expect. I suspect that the problem stems from the feeds on the stainless nibs.

This really doesn't apply here because their LE and SE models are, in my experience, very nice every time.

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."

-Albert Einstein

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

BP/Pencil set trade

I own 37 JINHAO PENS and have yet to find a problem with any of them they are the most affordable pens which give absolute satisfaction and to write with one is just the most fabulous experience they are so smoooooooooooth, they come complete with a convertor, trust me .Bryan