Herbin Vert Pre

Ann Finley

Pen Used In This Review

For the heading, a 2.0 mm Pelikan MC120 nib was used in this pen, then I switched to the F nib.

This ink is available in cartridges as well as in bottles. The pH is said to be 6.9 and the ink to have fair fade resistance. Water resistance is supposed to be poor, thus I was surprised at how much ink was left after a strong 10 to 15 second blast under the faucet. Both the review and water test are on Rhodia paper.

Thanks for looking!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ann Finley

• Taki

• Ghost Plane

• loplop

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a most intriguing shade of green, Ann. You are right, lighter inks lend themselves to mixing.

Your stunning penmanship makes it all the more delectable! :wub:

Oooh. I almost didn't open this post. I'm glad I did! That is a stunning shade of green. That pen doesn't look bad either. You have very nice handwriting.

Thank you for sharing!

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

On my monitor, that looks incredibly like Herbin's Vert Olive. Do you happen to know if one's darker than the other?

Thanks, Ann. I have enough trouble reading Olive under incandescent lights at night. I can only imagine the Pre! :headsmack:

Ghost, according to Herbin's chart, Vert Olive is darker.

Ann, may I ask where you found the Herbin ink chart you posted? It's different and more accurate than the two other Herbin charts I've seen.

JN

Just be careful when you ask for it in the store: Much to my embarrassment I asked for Herbin Pre Vert ink. Got an odd look from the clerk.

The Danitrio Fellowship

Thanks, Ann. I was wondering what this color looked like and how it compared to Vert Olive.

I would also like to know where you got the Herbin ink chart. It is much more realistic than similar charts I have seen.

Thanks, Ann. I was wondering what this color looked like and how it compared to Vert Olive.

I would also like to know where you got the Herbin ink chart. It is much more realistic than similar charts I have seen.

I may be wrong, but I remotely recollect that Herbin site used to sell the chart. I just went there, but could not find it :unsure:

To those wondering where I got the Herbin chart, I'm sorry, but I've had it in a folder a long time and I no longer recall where I got it.

Taki, I don't know how close Vert Pre is to Diamine Light Green, as I've not seen that ink. I was wondering how close it is to Diamine Jade, which looks like a lime green on my monitor.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Best, Ann

I love this color! My wife wanted me to pick up a bottle, and I'm glad I did. It is a shade of green that reminds me of freshly-cut grass in the springtime, really "cheery" to look at. It flows exceedingly well, in a really wet nib it could be a little like a firehose. The upshot of that is it's really fun to watch it pool and move around while you're writing, and I don't have problems with feathering and dry time so there seems to be no ill effects there.

Vert Olive vs Vert Pre: I haven't inked up with Pre yet, but I did grab my wife's Pelikan and write for a bit on different papers to see what I think. I just so happened to have my m800 inked up with Vert Olive at the same time, and wrote some text in the back of my Moleskine where I keep color tests to see how they compared. The colors are really quite different; the Vert pre is actually a little easier to read in the Moleskine because it really pops off the page. Vert Pre flows much more easily than Olive, which even in my fairly wet m800 doesn't flow as silky smooth as other Herbin's. To me, Pre has a "modern" look to it; rather bright and cheery vs. the Olive's sortof "vintage dirty olive green" color. I guess that sums it up for me:

Vert Pre: "cheery" flowing lots of fun

Vert Olive: "moody" vintage and more serious.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for posting the review, I think this will be a fun color once Spring hits. Or maybe Springtime of the mind :)

Edit: I forgot to add that in real life, Vert Pre looks more lime-y to me than this scan shows. It's a bit lighter and brighter. Could be my bottle is a little different, or maybe the scan isn't quite showing this characteristic well.

Edited by loplop

• 4 years later...

It's love at first sight when I see this ink review, especially in such beautififul handwriting. Thanks, Ann.

The shading, however, does not seem to be consistent in my Lamy Safari with 1.1mm nib. When I use cheaper lined paper, shading is apparent. But when I use it on Rhodia Webbie and Double A paper, the shading is barely there.

First time I tested it, the ink was loaded into my new Pelikan M205, slightly mixed with Terre de Feu, resulting in a nice muddy green. Because of the mixture, I'm not sure if the shading is owing to Terre de Feu or Vert Pré. Maybe I need to load it into a different pen and see how it goes.