Noodler's Navy

Verdant

post-10305-1200670389_thumb.jpg

post-10305-1200670262_thumb.jpg

post-10305-1200670446_thumb.jpg

--Lorie

"Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; they want rain without thunder and lightning; they want the ocean without the roar of its many waters. The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle.

"Power concedes nothing without a demand; it never has and it never will."

~Frederick Douglass

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Verdant

• psfred

• QM2

• Deirdre

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for a good review.

My brain doesn't interpret colors well. Still, I love color. This ink has a vintage or archival look to me, especially when used with the calligraphy nib. I write with italic and stub nibs a lot, and this ink might be very effective from my pens. I generally avoid blue and black inks, but this one looks like something I have to try.

Your photos have caught the color pretty well. I like this ink but I wish it had not been called "Navy". Being a literalist, I expected a very deep blue/nearly black tone like my father's winter uniform was. Still I like the color.

The Danitrio Fellowship

Thank you for a good review.

My brain doesn't interpret colors well. Still, I love color. This ink has a vintage or archival look to me, especially when used with the calligraphy nib. I write with italic and stub nibs a lot, and this ink might be very effective from my pens. I generally avoid blue and black inks, but this one looks like something I have to try.

FrankB,

I'm not a blue or black ink person as a rule with FPs, but this ink has become a staple for me. I highly recommend it for class and yet something different.

--Lorie

"Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; they want rain without thunder and lightning; they want the ocean without the roar of its many waters. The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle.

~Frederick Douglass

Thank you for all the kind words. I may have to do another review. This was fun! :lol:

~Frederick Douglass

• 2 weeks later...

Another big fan of this ink. I'm also not a huge fan of blues, but this is pretty, yet understated. The black component of the ink is waterproof, but it doesn't look as "powdery" as some of the waterproof blues.

I keep a blue Parker 45 loaded with this all the time.

**edit

I forgot to mention: Thanks for the beautiful review; I like your handwriting.

Edited by hunter186

I figure I need to weigh in on the Navy as well. I use it almost exclusively at the school where I teach - often taking notes blindingly fast (and sloppy, alas) - and this particular Noodler's keeps up no prob. That said, I also use the Aircorps for class and work: same excellent results. They're both really smooth and really unique-looking. Miminal smudging; wet and slick; just saturated enough; and what a fountain pen is supposed to feel like in my book. (Usual pen is the ever-trusty Rotring 600).

• 1 month later...

Lorie,

Thanks for the great review and especially, the comparison with Aircorp Blue-black, one of my favorite Noodler's. I really like the shading. Looks like I'll have to pick up a bottle. Maybe I have a thing for the Military. :)

I like this ink but I wish it had not been called "Navy". Being a literalist, I expected a very deep blue/nearly black tone like my father's winter uniform was.

I've got a few wetter nibs that result in the deep blue/nearly black one would expect from the name "Navy". I like the ink both ways, but since I started using it with a drier pen, it just doesn't look "right" when it's actually Navy-looking. :headsmack:

Lee Hiers, AA4GA

"Have Dobro Will Travel"

Interesting, so there seems to be a distinct difference between the Navy and the Aircorps -- I often wondered.

On the scans, the Aircorps looks a little bit greener, would you say that's accurate? Are there differences in flow, water resistance, or any other properties?

Great review, thanks especially for the comparisons, very helpful! Have you used Luxury Blue, or have a comment as to how it compares? I'm looking to branch out. Thanks!

I like the feel of Luxury blue better, but I definitely prefer the color of Navy -- it's less chalky and it's more saturated than Luxury Blue. Plus it's less expensive. If you like the look of Navy, Legal Lapis is pretty close color-wise, and it's bulletproof.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Hi Deirdre, thanks for the info. Pendemonium classes Navy as "Near Bulletproof", but I can't find any such designation on Noodler's website. I am attached to waterproofness as much as color/saturation/smoothness, but not tied to other archival quality or anti-forgery characteristics (acid resistance, etc). Any feeling about Navy's waterproofness? I've been very impressed with Luxury Blue. I'll definitely try Legal Lapis, though it looks a little grey-blue-black from the screen shots.

Edited by jeremym

Great review, thanks especially for the comparisons, very helpful! Have you used Luxury Blue, or have a comment as to how it compares? I'm looking to branch out. Thanks!

Oh, Lux Blue is a totally different color-family of blue. In my opinion, it is a very uninteresting color: a pale, "denim" blue, that is not only chalky as Deidre said, but also ... how to best put it?... lacks the richness and saturation that we usually associate with Noodler's. If I saw it on paper, I would think it was maybe Herbin rather than Noodlers, except it also lacks that fascinatingly transluscent lightness of Herbin. So I would decribe Lux Blue as a pale, yet somehow "heavy" color. The flow is extremely good though, can't say anything against that aspect. I use mine for mixing.

QM2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just got some of this ink from another FPN member. Quite nice, although I did have to double-check. I used my recently revived burgundy Statesman (new nib to replace the seriously bent one it came with) and while the initial color was a lovely blue with dark shading, it rapidly went a darker greenish blue black.

I don't ordinarily see the green cast in Noodler's inks other people do (except under dim incandescent lighting which is seriously blue deficient), so I dipped another nib. I must have forgotten to clean the feed on the Snork -- the other nib provided a nice vibrant dark blue more teal or cyan colored than Ottoman azure.

I'm quite happy. although I do have to put up with the muddy color until I finish the write-out test on the Snork. I hate to waste ink, so I'll just use it up. Should get all the old ink out of the nib and Snorkel tube, too!

Peter