VP, Levenger TW and Phileas compared

vermillionpart4

This is a comparative review because my experiences with FP's are limited iin breadth. I've been using them for a little over a year but have only used the above three much.

The TW was the first "good" FP I've used because before that I'd only used a cheap calligraphy pen and a bic XPen. The next pen I got my hands on was the phileas when I gave it to my sister as a wedding present. Later on my brother got one for a birthday present allowing me to play with it some more. Finally I got the VP as a christmas present this year.

TW: I got the black, marbled color which looked slightly gaudy at first but has really grown on me so that now I sometimes find myself just admirinig it. The plastic doesn't feel like anything special but is solid enough to have survived many falls, sometimes onto pavement, with no visible damage. It certainly helps that the walls of the pen are thick. The fine nib that came with the pen had a slight amount of flex but nothing special. The pen has never had any problems with flow, always starting rapidly. The cap is threaded which is sometimes obnoxious when other people try to use my pen and go to yank it off or when they slam the cap back on. The threads have taken an admirable amount of abuse from my friends without breaking. The nib and feed unscrew as one piece allowing me to switch to a broad nib over this past summer. The broad nib is BROAD (~1 mm) and much smoother than the fine nib with all the ink it drops. I hadn't intended on using the broad for evry day writing but it has never been taken out after I inittially screwed it in. With the broad the converter gets emptied so quickly you could almost see the ink level dropping as you write.

Phileas: Slightly cheaper than the TW. The pen looks fine, classic but not so eye-catching. I've used the medium nib only which was about as smooth as the TW broad and smoother than the TW fine. Teensy amount of flex in the pretty nib. Teh biggest fault I had with this was that the plastic of the body which felt weak, and I hate to use this cliche but also cheap. Maybe I just got used to the uber-thick, solid TW plastic but this pen did not feel substantial enough.

VP: AAh, my little black carbonesque VP. It was disappointing that the body isn't actual carbon fiber, just mock-carbon fiber which feels kinda silly but it still looks okay. When the nib is retracted the button sticks out the back so far that it draws too much attention. The nib is Broad but is more like the TW fine which is not to my taste. The filling mechanism is obnoxious because it doesn't hold much ink and you can't see ANYTHING unless you yank out the converter which can risk ink drops all over. The nib is smoother than the phileas but not as smooth as the juicy TW. The clicking mechanism is a durn great idea, which is realy the only reason i use this pen more than the TW. Oh, and ink (noodler's red/black) creeps up around the feed. THE CLIP! almost forgot the clip. the controversial clip is actually a plus for me since it orients you quick. Quick is how i'd summarize this pen.

IN SHORT the TW is my favorite writer because it's the smothest writer and also fulfills my desire for broad, juicy lines (insert comment about my taste in women) but I use the VP because of the quick-clicking. The phileas was okay but didn't feel great.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vermillionpart4

• KCat

• rroossinck

• KingJoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review sir! I think you might really like a Richard Binder Pelikan m200 (No affiliation, just a happy customer). You can have Richard customize the nib for you to get the thick, wet line you like, and I think the fit and finish should be comparable to or nicer than the other pens you own. It's a steal at around $75, and you get your choice of nib types.

Testing my memory here, but did I send you that broad nib for the TrueWriter? If so...I totally agree with you. That was one of the nicest nibs I've ever owned.

Edited by rroossinck

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

The cap is threaded which is sometimes obnoxious when other people try to use my pen and go to yank it off or when they slam the cap back on. The threads have taken an admirable amount of abuse from my friends without breaking.

The filling mechanism is obnoxious because it doesn't hold much ink and you can't see ANYTHING unless you yank out the converter which can risk ink drops all over.

Oh, and ink (noodler's red/black) creeps up around the feed. THE CLIP! almost forgot the clip. the controversial clip is actually a plus for me since it orients you quick. Quick is how i'd summarize this pen.

VERY nice review(s)!! Great work, and excellent observations. A few notes...

Letting others use your FPs?? Wow, you're more trusting than I!! I used to think "FP people" were crazy when they refused to let others use their pens. Now if I pick up a pen I know after a few letters if it's been "violated."

That VP filling mechanism is enough to drive me nuts, too. If that pen weren't so darn convenient...

As to VP nib creep...do be careful. Keep an eye on the area where the clip meets the body, and inside the nib-end of the barrel. With inks that creep badly (most specifically Noodler's Red-Black and Eternal Brown) in the VP, I've had those inks coat the nib then migrate to the inside of the barrel. When this starts to happen, the ink can seep out between the clip and body. Others have had no problems with it, but something to keep an eye on.

Again, great reviews. Thanks!!

~~King

Edited by KingJoe

nice review.

I highly recommend switching to refilling cartridges on the VP. You'll know how much ink is there and you'll be happier with performance overall. Yes, it's not a joy to fill a cartridge. But it's much nicer than that silly converter they've created. Here is a pen that is a delightful design overall, IMO, that fails because the converter is so poorly thought out. Such a waste.

Like you, I find the clip to help orient me.

You make the TW sound tempting. I think it's too big for my hand, fortunately. I do like the new colors.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

When this starts to happen, the ink can seep out between the clip and body

The creep i have has never gotten so bad as to get anywhere near the clip

Testing my memory here, but did I send you that broad nib for the TrueWriter? If so...I totally agree with you. That was one of the nicest nibs I've ever owned.

You are correct sir! i even got a nice little note with the nib.

I think you might really like a Richard Binder Pelikan m200

I've considered getting a stub from the legendary binder so I could get a wide, unique line but i'm not in the mood to spend 60 on a nib just yet.

Thanks for all the positive comments!

Thanks for the great review. I love my new True Writer as well. Mine is a fine point. I do wish it was extra fine, but it's quite nice. The amethyst is gorgeous.

It was disappointing that the body isn't actual carbon fiber, just mock-carbon fiber which feels kinda silly but it still looks okay

Its not actually supposed to be carbon fibre, I think the name is for the non Japanses market because kasuri does not make sense to westerners, the material is based on kimono cloth that has been rolled over the brass body and then had a resin applied to keep in impervious to the elements. Hence the stippled effect that you feel when you hold it. I think that this may have just been replaced with plastic now, but the pattern is a kasuri one and the advertising is cabonesque for the western market.

If you know look at the pen in that light I am sure you will apreciate it more. I love mine!

Also go for refilling the carts, or using them if you like the colour, rather than using the converter, it holds much more ink that way, and refilling them is environmentally friendly too!

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475