Stipula Da Vinci Infinity Limited Edition

Rincewind

This review has previously been posted by me on Pentrace, and is now posted here for the benefit of FPN members. Hope you find it useful!

- Stuart

A Renaissance Pen: The Stipula Da Vinci Infinity Limited Edition

Review by Stuart Williams

Some readers of this review will be well aware of my affinity for fountain pens which have been dedicated to the memory of historic astronomers, which comes about because of my professional and personal research interests in the history of astronomy. Fortunately for me, a number of limited and special edition pens have been marketed with this focus over the past few years, primarily by Italian companies. One such company is Stipula, of the city of Firenze (Florence). Stipula is a relatively young company; it only began to use the trade name Stipula in 1995, after making pens in its own name since just 1982. Acquired by Etruria in 2005, this family-owned firm only has around ten employees, which is remarkable when you consider the hand work involved in the lathe-turned range of regular and limited edition pens they produce.

Having recently been looking at the astronomical activities of Leonardo Da Vinci (1452-1519), the world-famous Italian artist, engineer and scientist for an article I was writing for Popular Astronomy magazine, I was inspired to seek out pens named for him. This led me to a 2005 Stylophiles Online Magazine review of the Stipula Da Vinci Infinity fountain pen, a weird and wonderful device which at the time was available exclusively via Bertram’s Inkwell of Baltimore, USA.

Of course, the Da Vinci design is not unique to the Infinity LE; in fact it is available at lower prices in several different materials and colours, and in two sizes with different clip designs. But the version I fell in love with at first sight was the Infinity, thanks to the fascinating Stylophiles review and Bill Riepl’s alluring photographs of the pen therein. I knew I had to buy one, but what chance was there of finding a new pen from a limited edition of only 188 which had already been available for two years?

A look at the Bertram’s Inkwell website ( http://www.bertramsinkwell.com ) revealed that they were apparently no longer stocking this pen. I was immediately disappointed, but a subsequent search on Google came up with a website I had glanced over before, but from which I had never purchased a pen: Fountain Pen Domain ( http://www.penseller.com ). As luck would have it, they were advertising the Da Vinci Infinity – and at a reasonable price: the list price was $800 US but Fountain Pen Domain’s price was significantly lower at $539 US plus shipping. A glance at eBay showed just one such pen for sale, used, at a similar price, so it was obvious that the discounted new price was a good deal.

A Google search to check the reputation of Fountain Pen Domain revealed that its proprietor, Weaver McCracken, was (according to past customers) a reliable seller, and this was to be my experience in my subsequent dealings with Weaver, who was very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. Yes, he could supply this pen, and he advised that it would be quicker and cheaper for him to ask Stipula to ship direct from the factory in Italy to me in England rather than for him to get one in stock and send it me from the USA. This made a lot of sense as both Italy and the UK are in the European Union. Including manufacturing time it took a little over three weeks for the Infinity to get to me once I had paid by PayPal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/Grey_Wanderer/reviews/InfinityPlusWatch.jpg

The Stipula Da Vinci Infinity LE is truly a writing instrument, akin to a high quality watch in its ingenuity and fascination.

Photograph © by Bill Riepl.

When I opened the box, it was obvious from the point of view of looks at least that I had made the right choice. The Stipula Da Vinci Infinity is a vision in warm amber celluloid and rose gold-plated metalwork, including the 14k gold nib, which is also plated in rose gold, my favourite colour of this precious metal. In fact when seeing the pen ‘in the flesh’ it was evident that Bill Riepl’s fine photographs for Stylophiles did the Infinity full justice, and when I decided to write this review I asked Bill’s permission to use a selection of his pictures to accompany my text, to which he kindly agreed (thanks, Bill!).

The Stipula box is plain but attractive, in red leatherette covered board with gold coloured lettering (the Stipula logo) on the padded top and comes wrapped in a protective sleeve of red card with an aperture to show off the logo. Inside, the pen is laid beneath a strap upon a beige coloured ‘velvety’ padded bed. On opening the box a ‘secret’ drawer is also revealed in its base; the right hand side folds down and the drawer pulls out with a handle of looped red ribbon. Within there is a generic Stipula instructions/warranty booklet covering various pens, and a certificate of authenticity and lifetime warranty registration form. A standard Stipula ink piston converter is supplied, plus a short International cartridge of blue ink, together in a sealed bag.

The Infinity Limited Edition version of the Stipula Da Vinci is a stunning looking pen, albeit of unconventional design. The highly polished variegated amber celluloid of the barrel and section glows darkly, like the embers of a dying fire, and it is superbly complemented by the warm rose gold-plated fittings, which comprise a single trim ring towards the end of the barrel, the artfully curved rotating clip, the hefty collar to which this is mounted, and the end cap which hides the Da Vinci’s secret. The barrel is engraved clearly but unobtrusively with the Stipula brand, the name and number of the pen, and the country of origin. The whole instrument (and yes, this is truly a writing instrument in the best sense of the word) feels delightful in the hand: smooth, warm, heavy, and balanced towards the section. I find it hard to put down once picked up, it feels so good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/Grey_Wanderer/reviews/InfinityAlone.jpg

The Infinity is a substantial but elegant pen, and would grace any desk, especially that of a scientist, engineer, historian or artist.

Photograph © by Bill Riepl

In size, the retracted Infinity is the same length as a capped Duofold Centennial (5.25 inches), but somewhat thicker overall (it is widest at the clip and tapers gently to the end of the barrel, the section being scalloped for ease of holding). Personally, I have average sized hands and it feels perfect to me, but very different to my other pens. Likewise, it may be that if you have very small hands you might prefer a thinner section and barrel. However the weight, while supremely well-balanced, is substantial, due to the stainless steel mechanism and other sleeving within the pen, and this might not suit those who prefer lightweight pens. The weight of the Infinity when loaded with converter and ink is 70g (2.4oz). My Conway Stewart Churchill lever-filler in red woodgrain ebonite, without ink and no small pen itself, weighs in at just 32g in comparison! My Parker Duofold Greenwich, a Centennial sized pen in black resin, is a mere 28g with inked converter.

The Da Vinci pens are based around a singularly ingenious mechanism which obviates the need for a separate cap. The nib is retractable, and hides behind a rotating metal ‘trap door’ until needed. Looking from the nib end, as you rotate the main body of the barrel counter-clockwise while holding the section, a small semi-circular door rotates open clockwise, and the nib emerges smoothly from the shadows in mysterious fashion. The extended nib is the standard large Stipula nib, in 14K gold, in this case plated in rose gold as previously mentioned. Inside the barrel the enclosed working parts are stainless steel, extending from the section. The whole mechanism and modus operandi are quite fascinating, and a great talking point amongst friends and colleagues who rarely see a fountain pen, let alone such an arcane device as this! Together with the construction materials, this gives the pen great character, and I am sure if Leonardo were still alive today he would fully approve of its ingenuity.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/Grey_Wanderer/reviews/InfinityTrapdoor.jpg

The remarkably effective rose gold-plated ‘trapdoor’ mechanism, showing the nib ‘launch sequence’!

Photograph © by Bill Riepl.

How does the Infinity fill? Either by cartridge – standard International, short or long (ie Diamine,Waterman etc) or by using the supplied standard Stipula converter. The instructions say to retract the nib before filling. Then with a slight twist and pull on the barrel, you gain access to the interior of the pen. It is advised to fill the converter before fitting it into the pen, which makes sense as you'd eventually gum up the trapdoor if you filled it by dipping the nib too deeply. I flushed the converter once with cold water before filling it from a bottle of Montblanc British Racing Green ink and wiping it before insertion. I had first used the pen with a long cartridge of Waterman Havana Brown (flushing after use with the converter and under the cold water tap (faucet). Both cartridge and converter required a very firm push on the end to insert properly (in the manner of pushing a syringe plunger with the thumb, while hanging on firmly to the section/clip with the other hand to avoid dropping it). I found both took a little while to get flowing so a few shakes encouraged this; after this first start there were no flow problems at all with either filling.

How does the Infinity write? With Leonardo’s quill in mind, I had chosen Stipula’s 1.1mm italic nib (standard F, M, B and a 0.9mm italic are also available). This is a cursive rather than a sharp italic, and is both very smooth and gives good shading with clear line variation; at its broadest it is a little wider than a medium, but noticeably less broad than my standard Delta BB nib. It also has what some would call semiflex or springiness; certainly it is no nail, but it is nowhere near vintage flex. It does add to the pleasure of use though. Scans of my writing are included with this review as examples for your information – but I do not claim to be a superior penman; no doubt others could do much better!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/Grey_Wanderer/reviews/InfinityWriting1.jpg

Montblanc British Racing Green on W. H. Smith Quality Bond (white smooth bond paper).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/Grey_Wanderer/reviews/InfinityWriting2.jpg

Montblanc British Racing Green on W. H. Smith Quality Bond (white smooth bond paper).

I’d say that the ink flow with this nib is wet but well controlled. It was slightly greater with the brown ink than the green, probably due to the different characteristics of these inks. Papers used were smooth bond: Moleskine Reporter’s Notebook (cream), W. H. Smith Quality Bond (white), 80gsm plain white copier paper, and a cheap reporter’s notepad (white, lined). No obvious problems with feathering or excessive bleed through were seen with either ink and these papers. YMMV, as they say.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/Grey_Wanderer/reviews/InfinityWriting4.jpg

Waterman Havana Brown on Moleskine Reporter’s Notebook unlined cream bond paper – slightly thicker than a standard Moleskine notebook.

Are there any issues with this pen?

Some user reports have said that the Da Vinci pens have a tendency to dry out, possibly because the nib trap door is not airtight. That's certainly possible but I think it would depend very much on the ink and the humidity and temperature of the writer’s location (I live in the Midlands of England’s “green and pleasant land”, not known for its arid conditions!). I have left the pen with the trapdoor closed for as much as twelve hours with a Havana Brown cartridge inserted, stored horizontally, and found it to start up immediately without problems the next time I used it.

What I have found with Havana Brown is that the first few letters sometimes appear darker after the pen has been left for some hours. This ink has tended to do this sometimes in other pens in my experience (I have even had it turn green in other pens!), and this may be a sign of evaporation. However I have not found this to be a problem so far, and this has not occurred with the British Racing Green via the converter, even overnight.

One other matter is the pocket clip, which I feel is more ornamental than practical, as its tip is further away from the barrel than other such clips, to avoid scratching the rotating barrel; this will significantly lessen its effectiveness as a pocket clip.

In conclusion, I feel this beautiful and fascinating pen is a real keeper, and I certainly would not part with it. Other versions of the Da Vinci obviously have slightly different characteristics dependent on the type of material used to make the barrel (and there is a smaller version), but the basic mechanism is much the same. The Infinity is nonethless unique, as well as a delight to use, and as a truly ‘Renaissance pen’ dedicated to the original ‘Renaissance man’, fills an essential place in my themed collection.

Further information:

Original Stylophiles review with more of Bill Riepl's stunning photography: http://www.stylophilesonline.com/09-05/09inf.htm

Glenn Marcus’s website – information on Stipula: http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/stipula.html

Fountain Pen Domain website: http://www.penseller.com/pages/stipula.htm

Acknowledgement:

Special thanks to Bill Riepl of Stylophiles for permission to use his copyrighted photographs.

Please note: this review was first posted on Pentrace and can be found on the Home Page of that site: http://www.pentrace.net.

I have no connection with any of the dealers mentioned except (in the case of Fountain Pen Domain) as a satisfied customer. Caveat Emptor.

Rincewind

"Luck is my middle name. Mind you, my first name is Bad."

--Rincewind, "Interesting Times"

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rincewind

• Deirdre

• Michael R.

• wimg

I cannot wait for mine.

This was stocked by Bertram's Inkwell, but the remaining stock was eventually sold to Fountain Pen Domain (penseller.com), who has them exclusively. However, penseller.com is on hiatus at the moment, making this model inobtanium for now.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Thank you Stuart, for such a nice review.

And congratulations with the pen. It is quite a stunner. I've been ogling one for quite some time now. I wouldn't mind one in my collection :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Stuart, thank you for the comprehensive review and great photos. I'm sure I'll refer back to this review in the future.

I have received a message from Weaver in which he says he is not sure about a return to pen selling on the web, but he will evaluate this later in 2008.

Either way, it has been a pleasure to be one of his satisfied customers.

- Stuart

I cannot wait for mine.

This was stocked by Bertram's Inkwell, but the remaining stock was eventually sold to Fountain Pen Domain (penseller.com), who has them exclusively. However, penseller.com is on hiatus at the moment, making this model inobtanium for now.

Rincewind

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

- Stuart

Rincewind

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

- Stuart

Rincewind

I have received a message from Weaver in which he says he is not sure about a return to pen selling on the web, but he will evaluate this later in 2008.

Wow, I hope he has a good break and reconsiders.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Did I miss it, or how much do those things cost? And are they available anywhere?

CURRENT STABLE:

(2) Danitrio Tac Carry II / Xezo Architect / (2)(1920's era) Redipoint Flex / Libelle Vortex / Orange LE Pilot VP/ Mont Blanc Classique 144 / Dunhill Sidecar / Pilot 823 Clear Demonstrator / TWSBI 580 / Stipula Passaporto LE / Kaweco Sport WISH LIST:

MB Boheme / Platinum Hammered Sterling Silver / Pelikan M800 (clear demo) / Stipula Da Vinci / Visconti Opera Master / Delta Dolcevita Federico Oversize / Franklin-Cristoph 19 / Franklin-Christoph Model 25 w/ Masuyama nib

They are currently unobtainable (only available from one seller who currently is on hiatus), but I bought mine for $539 + shipping.

deirdre.net

May I suggest you contact Stipula direct and ask their advice? Weaver McCracken did not in fact keep these in stock and mine had to be made and sent to me direct from Italy, so I would have thought they would be able to either tell you about another dealer (while Weaver is not selling) or maybe sell you one direct.

Stipula's own online shop is here: http://www.penemporium.com/stipula/index_eng.php

As noted in my review, Weaver's price was $539 US plus shipping (MSRP $800 US). How much you can get one for elsewhere I have no idea, I have only seen a single used one on eBay.

- Stuart

Did I miss it, or how much do those things cost? And are they available anywhere?

Rincewind

Stuart,

I think Weaver did keep a few in stock. In fact mine was in stock.

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

Yann,

Yours may have been in stock but perhaps it was a matter of luck. Mine was not in stock, and dare I say I have ordered a second one as my mother decided she would like one, and this is also coming directly from Stipula.

Sadly whatever Weaver currently has in stock will not be available for some considerable time, it now seems.

- Stuart

Stuart,

I think Weaver did keep a few in stock. In fact mine was in stock.

Rincewind

Wonderful review of a fascinating pen! Its mechanism reminds me of the Stipula Iris that I think Wim bought a while ago....

Thanks again for the review!

(edited for spelling only)

Edited by Maja

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the great review! It made me really want one, too :-)

I just have one question left: does the lower edge of the gripping section get in your way while writing when holding the pen at a rather low angle? It looks as the nib is not really centered in the middle of the section (obviously due to its construction) but in the upper half of the section. Or is the nib large enough to provide enough spacing between section and paper?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Michael

When it comes to reviews like this one, why does one write such a review and not use their own pictures?

Edited by PinarelloOnly

Great review and I liked the Racing Green ink sample. I love the rose gold hardware! I picked up one of the Cracked Ice patterned Da Vincis at the Miami Pen show and really like it too. Thanks for a very well written review.

The Danitrio Fellowship

Very nice review of a very nice pen, I have always admired the mechanism of these, and intend to one day gey one, not the LE though, just an ordinary model, although the cracked ice ones do look nice too...

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475