stipula da vinci infinity

davyr

there seems to be a lot of stipula worship here, so when in rome...

http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/9286/dsc008424ba.jpg

http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/8884/dsc008476ax.jpg

the da vinci infinity is exclusive to bertram's inkwell, limited to 188 examples. what caught my eye initially was the rose gold trim, my favorite color of gold (with white gold a distant second). the body is a marbled amber celluloid, and the color combo with the trim is very attractive. this is not a bling pen lookswise, although it has some wow factor due to its retractable nib. more on that later. the da vinci line includes regular edition pens and a black limited edition with retractable clip. retail for mine was $795, automatically knocked down to 595. if you live near the baltimore/dc area, i highly suggest visiting one of their stores to test drive this pen. i'll take a time out now to give props to bertrams inkwell, an excellent b&m store with friendly staff and helpful customer service. and if you have any problems with their pens, they'll go to bat for you and take care of it. bert's a good guy. no affiliation, just a very satisfied customer.

packaging and box are nothing unusual or special, just simple and classy. under the cushion are two international sized stipula blue cartridges, and NO convertor. but i returned the next day and they gave me one for free.

http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/1203/dsc009490xq.jpg

http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/3376/dsc009548fe.jpg

what makes the da vinci unusual is it's retractable nib, similar to the olden day safety pens. it's capless, and utilizes a trap door to cover the nib. it opens and closes by twisting the section and holding the body (or vice versa). it takes a little over three complete turns to be in business, which is not terribly efficient, but then again, no one uses fountain pens for their efficiency ;). the action of the trap door is smooth and feels good. it's definately got wow factor. some form & function purists may think it gimmicky, but so what, i love gimmicks, gadgets and cheese.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/7877/dsc008397sz.jpghttp://img413.imageshack.us/img413/6820/dsc008362er.jpg

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8265/dsc008342ag.jpghttp://img413.imageshack.us/img413/4642/dsc008309yw.jpg

the body and section are made of amber cellulose acetate, so it doesn't have that stinky but seductive camphor smell. the feel of the material is nice. the pen is on the heavy side, but not morbidly obese. this is due to an elaborate metal system inside (metal coaxial core which slides out from the front section when it's time to refill). but since posting a cap is obviated, the balance is good and forward leaning. the section is huge, with a diameter of 4.9 cm (about same as the danitrio mikado). i like big pens despite my smallish hands (alright, just my hands are small, nothing, ahem, else) ;) i find small pens, and consequently small sections, to be uncomfortable due to cramping; they make me grip the pen even harder. the pen is 13.5cm long (5 5/16 in). i don't have a scale, but by gestalt it feels a little heavier than my waterman edson or pelikan 1000.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1796/dsc008278nv.jpghttp://img481.imageshack.us/img481/4247/dsc008440kt.jpg

the nib is 14k and also finished in rose gold. it's monochromatic, which i like. there is some flex and yield to the nib, so it can't be classified as a nail. the points are available in f,m,b and .9 and 1.1 italics. mine is a fine, and is pretty smooth. there is some tooth, but that's probably par for the course with fine points. i bought this pen early on in my pen habit (about two months ago), before i learned of the pleasures of broad and italic points. i may replace it for an italic in the future, who knows? as i hinted earlier, i use the unsupplied convertor for my ink needs, and have had no problems with skipping or hiccupping in the short term. as the trap door is not air tight, there can be a problem with the feed drying out, which has happened if not used for about a week. the clip is curvy and otherwise unadorned, which i like. i'm not terribly partial towards the typical stipula vine and leaf trim engravings on their other models, although i acknowledge that it's skilfully done. since the clip rotates along with the section when retracting the nib, it does not have a clamplike grip on shirt pockets, so i'd be careful. the black limited da vinci has a retractable clip which does clamp down hard, supposedly.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1681/dsc009449hm.jpg

overall, i'm very pleased. i'll definately purchase another stipula, and have my eye on the brunelleschi magnifica in sterling - reminiscent of the doumo in florence. this is not a cheap pen, and i wouldn't classify it as a reliable bullet proof workhorse. it is what it is - a well made, bellissima italian pen.

some size comparisons (lt to rt): danitrio mikado tamenuri, visconti titanic, waterman edson, montblanc kafka, conway stewart churchill, pelikan m1000, classic pens cp7 atlantic, chronoswiss styloscope (based on pel m800), shaeffer legacy heritage victorian, fulliwen dragon, and stipula da vinci infinity.

http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/118/dsc009629yf.jpg i like big pens, and i cannot lie...

ok, so now time for ratings. why? well, it seems that everyone loves them, despite the fact that they're so personal/subjective, and ultimately meaningless to many. but who cares, it's fun. remember, ymmv.

test results

cap and body (17/20): unusual twist style "cap" with trap door, beautiful celluloid color, well made

section (9/10): integrated with the "cap", may be too large for some, comfortable for me

nib performance (15/20): pretty smooth, no skips, may initially hesitate if not used for awhile, methinks due to non-airtightness of trap door.

writing comfort (18/20): a very large pen, maybe too large for some, very good balance tho

design (9/10): beautiful, unusual

value (7/10): street price, for what you get, is a pretty good deal. i have a hankering for pink gold, so i'm willing to pay more...

filling system (5/10): c/c, but a convertor wasn't packaged in the box! i got one for free the next day tho

total: 80/100 (100 would be the perfect pen, which as you & i know, doesn't exist, unless of course you think otherwise, but then let me know if you do)

Edited by davyr

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davyr

• TheNobleSavage

• Dave Johannsen

• Apollo

Very nice pen!!! I was sort of curious how this pen works but you answered my questions!!! :lol: I really dig the color of the celluloid that they chose. It is a little bit out of my budget but regardless, I like to read other peoples reviews on pens that I can and cannot afford!!

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

doh! wow, stylophiles really knows how a produce a review! those pictures by bill r make me shiver. look over there for a much better representation of what the pen looks like :lol:

i see that they also reviewed the conway stewart doctor's pen, which i was going to write up after i receive it next week! :(

"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

doh! wow, stylophiles really knows how a produce a review! those pictures by bill r make me shiver. look over there for a much better representation of what the pen looks like :lol:

Your pics look good too. Thanks for the nice review.

It seems like this pen might accomodate more gripping styles than the Namiki vanishing points (just a guess). All the colors are simply beautiful. I hope they do (or wil) use them on a more conventional looking FP too.

Now a comment about the converter: unsupplied :blink: on a $600 pen? :wacko: If I were the retailer, I would have just thrown in one or two, on the house.

Wow! That is one gorgeous pen! Great review, davyr. B)

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

Great first review, davyr! Thanks for the showing the close-ups of the "trapdoor" (I see it has "Stipula" written on it--classy touch, Stipula!) for the nib and the beautiful celluloid. Italy does produce some lovely pens, doesn't it?

So....I see you just recently started collecting fountain pens? :o You have some really nice pens there :drool:....

Great review, especially for a first! You certainly went first class on your pens given you've just started. I'll second the :drool: . Thanks for the look at a beautiful Stip. ENJOY!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi Davy,

Thanks for the excellent review! I just love that Da Vinci... Pity my pen budget has just been drained for something completely different...

I liek the comparison pic too. I didn't realize it was relatively small, this pen, compared to, e.g., and Edson. The impression you get from the Da Vinci when you see it is: Wow! That is a huge pen! Compared to those in your pic, it is only average size, be it very fat. I find it very comfortable to write with (tried it several times at the local B&M store :D), and those nibs are just a dream of course.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 2 weeks later...

just added some test results/ratings. as always, ymmv... ;)

Oh, I remember what I was going to say, The Stipula Da Vinci Infinity is the rich mans Vanishing Point!! :lol: I really love that pen. I showed it to my wife and she said "So, when are you gonna buy me one"? Wow, what am I supposed to say?? :bonk:

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

I really love that pen. I showed it to my wife and she said "So, when are you gonna buy me one"? Wow, what am I supposed to say??

you say, yes dear, as long as i can use it too... :)

Hi,

Just get her another one. :) It costs only 595 Euros. :P

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• 1 year later...
filling system (5/10): c/c, but a convertor wasn't packaged in the box! i got one for free the next day tho

Now that you've been using the pen for a while, I wonder if we huddled masses may pester for a follow-up on a particular aspect. I am guessing that Stipula lists the pen as cartrige filler and doesn't include a convertor because you don't want to repeatedly submerge the trap door in ink (either it may corrode or get gummed up). So, may I ask if you are able to get a reasonably complete fill without submerging the door mechanism in the ink, or (if you do submerge) have you had any problems with the mechanism getting corroded or gunked up? Though I don't see any way that I could possibly afford this pen in the foreseeable future, I am very much intrigued modulo this nagging concern.

Dave

Nice pen and nice review. I like your other 'big' pens too! Wow finally a VP pen that has some heft and looks!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Highly unusual and nice pen ;)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I'll echo the rquest for a follow up review, especialy on the aspect of daily use-and if you have a VP then how this compares to that...its a wonderful pen and now that they do a non LE version it becomes more of a possibility.

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475