Sailor Sapporo EF, handwritten

WillSW

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/willsw/sap.jpg

I really, really wanted an Extra-Fine nib. This pen completely satisfied me. I now have a "black pen", so though the design is less than exciting it fills a necessary place in a collection. The pen is too small for me to hold comfortable un-posted, but this is also fine, as posting doesn't bother me. This is also my first pen with a screw-on cap, a fine feature which makes me feel safe. I bought the pen (or requested it for Christmas) for the nib. Smooth it is, and I fear getting another pen as fine now that the precedent has been set. An unexpected result of the perfectly satisfying nib was that it awoke a desire for a thick, juicy line on my next pen. I need to SEE that shading, not just wonder about it. It is also a bit firmer than I'd like, though I have come to enjoy the consistency of line, more like a technical pen. It will be an excellent note-taking and sketching pen, but if I'm writing a letter I think I'd prefer my Lamy 2000 EF, as even that (now thick-looking) thin line has a bit more expression, and that slightest bit of flex is noticable in the end.

A question I have about the Sailor's nib, are there different firmnesses available? Mine is an H-EF, so I'm assuming there is an S-EF or something, but how does one go about getting one of these?

I'm not really sure what else to write in the review, I feel this is a pretty commonly known pen.

Onto the handwritten review a la 5th grade girl.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/willsw/penreview.jpg

Edited by WillSW

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• limesally

• greencobra

• jmkeuning

• 2cents

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun review - and I like the variety of drawing techniques and the ink wash. I'm glad you backed the handwritten review up with text, too.

I too would love to know if the nibs come in different grades for hardness. How long have you had your pen? I'm just asking because with both my Sailors (I have a 1911M and a Sapporo) they started off rather fine and dry, then became a touch wider and definitely wetter after a few weeks of use. You might still get that juicy line you're looking for.

www.nibs.com, has all the nib size comparisons that you need. For Japanese pen you have to go a size down to get the European effect. Probably a European (Pelikan, OMAS...) extra fine, 14k gold flexi nib is what you perhaps looking for if you want more depth to lines as opposed to just writing like a ball point pen.

2cents

Nice reviews and interesting doodles, something I have been known to do in boring meetings, but not as artistic as yours.

Andy

The Sapporo is the finest-nibbed pen I own that came that way straight out of the box (rather than being customised for my specifications or reground afterwards).

I've used mine for 7 months now, and I cannot say that it became significantly "jucier" or more flexible with time. Keep in mind though, that with flex and wetness comes a wider line...

The Sapporo is the finest-nibbed pen I own that came that way straight out of the box (rather than being customised for my specifications or reground afterwards).

I've used mine for 7 months now, and I cannot say that it became significantly "jucier" or more flexible with time. Keep in mind though, that with flex and wetness comes a wider line...

oh, mine never got flexier, just wetter. However, after posting it occurred to me that this might be because I never do what people here often recommend - flush the pen before inking it. I just put in ink right away and go (often before even leaving the parking lot of the Puralator depot :D ) . So it's possible that my experience is the result of flow improving as the oils or whatever get flushed out.

• 2 weeks later...

Great review. Did you clarify the issue re the possibility of the firmness of the nib- ie H-EF, and S-HF ? I have ordered an EF nib but there was no other qualifications for that nib.

Happy New Year.

Great review. Did you clarify the issue re the possibility of the firmness of the nib- ie H-EF, and S-HF ? I have ordered an EF nib but there was no other qualifications for that nib.

Happy New Year.

I have one too, in EF and am loving it! I love them Japanese nibs :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: