Omas Arte Italiana Paragon with HT trim

greencobra

I got this pen by accident two weeks ago. I thought I was buying an old model Paragon but instead this new Paragon showed up. I was going to return it for a refund but decided to keep it. I’m really glad I did. It turns out I’m getting pretty attached to it and I haven’t been able to put it down yet. This pen has been reviewed two other times as well as the celluloid variation once but I’d like to put up my impressions of the pen.

The new Paragon is called a tribute pen by Omas to the original 12 sided model. And it’s no copy. It’s much bigger and a little on the bling side with the HT trim. Everything about this pen is bigger. The box is one of the bigger pen boxes you’ll get, but when you open it up, it’s still a typical Omas low-key presentation. You get the Omas pen pouch and a bottle of Omas black ink as well as the paperwork. All this is nestled in some kind of foam material. No fancy interior in this box. There’s an outer slip case sleeve over the inner presentation box. Looking for the big presentation, look elsewhere.

The pen is made from vegetal resin. I have no clue what that means, Omas offers no explanation either. I guess it’s made from some sort of organic matter, or so it sounds. The pen body looks and feels like a shiny plastic or resin compound. It’s only offered in black and is faceted, same as the original, 12 sides. The fixtures are Omas’ High Tech silver trim. The section is stainless or sterling silver, I don’t know which. At the base of the cap is a wide band of the HT trim with the patented Omas Greek key design and on the backside of this band is the wording “The Paragon” and “Italy”. There’s a HT trim ring between the body and the piston knob and an inlaid HT “O” on the cap top. A distinctive feature of this pen is the clip. It’s a huge arc of a clip with the roller wheel at the end. Most people think this clip detracts from the lines of the pen, and so did I. But now I have the pen in hand, it’s grown on me and I like it. It’s so ugly it’s pretty. I’ve mentioned the faceted body and the 12 sides. They run the length of the pen from the piston cap down to the beginning of the section, then there’s the rounded silver section, but the facets are picked up again on the flared trim piece on the section end just before the nib. A nice detail. And of course the pen cap is 12 sided also.

The build on this pen is super. Getting all the facets to line up on the piston knob when it’s in the retracted position and when the cap is screwed on is a hard thing to do. On my pen, they all align perfectly. If they didn’t the pen would have gone back. That stuff bothers me. In another review of this pen, the reviewer said the silver section picked up fingerprints like nothing else and yes, it does. I wipe it down after every use. And in the box is a cloth to do the wiping. I like the look of the silver section but it’s high maintenance if you like a clean looking pen.

This Paragon is heavy and fat. Two things I like in a pen. Of course the weight the metal section adds contributes to the added weight over the original model, and keep in mind the new Paragon is larger in size too. Maybe I shouldn’t call these pens the new Paragon and the old Paragon. I shouldn’t compare them at all because they are two different pens that share the same name. Anyway, it feels great in my hand though. I don’t post this pen. I’ve tried it both ways and unposted works best for me. It balances better for me. I think long writing sessions with this pen posted might lead to fatigue with the weight. I can’t confirm that since I’ve yet to try it. And here I should mention the polished silver section doesn’t bother me when I write, I can hold the pen in my normal grip just fine without the pen sliding around in my fingers. And the section is fairly thick which gives me a better feel and that leads to better control for me.

The nib is 18K and two toned. While not the most decorative of the Omas nibs (my Bologna is quite elaborate) it is decent looking. It’s simple with the name OMAS running sideway the length of the nib, filled with gold color. The nib on my pen is a fine. And a surprise was finding out the nib was flexible, extremely flexible. I won’t push the nib so I don’t see any great line variation but there is a little bit at times. My Bologna doesn’t have this, if fact that nib is sort of stiff. This pen is a 6-7 out of 10 for wetness and the line is a tiny bit wider than what I’d call a fine. I’m going to say that is because of the flex of the nib. The softer nib on my Danitrio Mikado exhibits the same characteristics. Don’t misinterpret this statement as meaning this Omas nib comes even close to the Dani soft nib for flexibility, it doesn’t. I’ve filled the Paragon with Diamine WES Imperial Blue ink, my favorite blue. This ink shows various hues depending on the pen being used. In this nib, it’s showing colors and shading I’ve never seen before. A very expressive nib with this ink. And ever so smooth too. Out of the box, the Paragon started right up. And I’m seeing none of that blasted down stroke skipping, or skipping of any kind for that matter.

As is the original Paragon, this is a piston filler. And it holds a lot of ink too. You can actually see the bottle level go down when you fill. I have a habit of writing in my journal dozens of pages daily and it hasn’t needed a drink yet. Considering the wetness of the nib, it means the ink chamber has to be cavernous.

This pen turned out to be the surprise of the year. I’m ashamed to say the Mikado I lusted after for so long and I recently got has lain neglected in its box since I got this pen. For the first time, I’ve had thoughts in my head that this Paragon from Omas might be the one, and if I could only keep one pen, well, here it is. That’s a bold statement. I know me and that would never happen but you know what I mean. Using this pen is a pleasure and the ultimate fountain pen experience. I have around 40 extremely nice pens and this is the first one I’ve been this passionate about. My beloved Bamboo doesn’t come close to this. I have bonded with this pen and it’s only been a couple of weeks, not even that.

If you are looking for a really nice pen for yourself, check this one out. If the silver HT trim doesn’t work for you, they do it in gold trim also.

The photo shown here is from the Omas web site. http://www.omas.net/

post-2407-1198510025_thumb.jpg

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greencobra

• omasfan

• handlebar

• SethG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Delightful review of a great pen.Having my Arco brown now for a few months has made me a firm believer in Omas and their high quality.

No,not every pen company will produce perfect pens.But i think Omas have a higher than normal degree of quality.

Congrats on your new pen and i hope you write thousands of snail mail letters with it!!

Jim

This is a great pen. I am uncomfortable with the size but if you like it, then it's perfect.

The section is sterling silver, likely rhodinated, but silver for sure. The pen's gloss is really nice. I once saw a display model whose edges were slightly splintered off/chipped, so I suspect that they coat their resin with a shiny lacquer in order to achieve the gloss. Under extreme stress chipping might happen, but I think as long as yours is not used as display model, you'll be fine. :bunny01:

So, you got it by accident. If those kind of accidents entail pens like this, I want to get involved in said accidents, too. :roflmho: Now, greencobra, tell me one thing: Why didn't you, as a lover of celluloid, get this behemoth in Arco brown? The use of the material on this size of pen truly is splendid. It's a royal pen in its own right.

I sometimes wish we could buy all sorts of things in Arco celluloid: pieces of furniture, even silverware (aehmmm Arcoware). I'd like to surround myself with Arco celluloid in my apartment.

Edited by omasfan

Now, greencobra, tell me one thing: Why didn't you, as a lover of celluloid, get this behemoth in Arco brown? The use of the material on this size of pen truly is splendid. It's a royal pen in its own right.

Well remember, I wasn't expecting this pen. I thought I was buying an old model, black Paragon, something I was toying with for a few weeks. Jim's postings, as well as yourself's and goodguy's, pushed me over the edge on that pen. In e-mail communications, I assumed it was an old model. The only question I asked the seller really was how it filled, and I got the right answer back....piston. Me bad! I got the wrong pen, though. In this case I'm happy.

Now, I plan on getting the red celluloid Bologna, and soon. I'd like to get the Arco Paragon and probably will down the road.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313/wlueckel/CelluloidScarletHTandGoldUncapped.jpg Why not get this instead of the Bologna? (photo taken from nibs.com). They are not freely available anymore, of course, but I am quite sure that some dealers have one left. Edited by omasfan

This is a 12-faceted Omas Paragon (old-style). The photograph is deceptive. The celluloid is the same used on the new scarlet red Bologna.

Edited by omasfan

I have an OMAS Milord, which is probably the immediate predecessor to the current models. It is a piston fill, which works very well, and the pen holds a good deal of ink. Does anyone know if there are any current Milord models which are piston fills, versus cartridge/converters?

Thanks!

Seth

Bethesda, MD

Sadly, as of 2008 Milords will be c/c and Paragons will be pistons.

Does this also hold true for their celluloid Milord? I've never seen a single Omas celluloid pen tht was c/c based. This will be a first for Omas. Where did you get this information?

Does this also hold true for their celluloid Milord? I've never seen a single Omas celluloid pen tht was c/c based. This will be a first for Omas. Where did you get this information?

The FPH '08 catalog says the celluloid Milord is a piston fill.

Actually, you may be right about the celluloids. The Arco Milord on page 12 of the 2008 Fountain Pen Hospital catalogue appears to me to be a piston fill. Perhaps it's just the "vegetal resin" Milords that are cartridge/converters.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Seth

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q313/wlueckel/CelluloidScarletHTandGoldUncapped.jpg Why not get this instead of the Bologna? (photo taken from nibs.com). They are not freely available anymore, of course, but I am quite sure that some dealers have one left.

:drool: :clap1: :drool: :clap1:

Jim

Which is why i purchased my Arco Milord NOW instead of later.And it is writing beautifully!!!!!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/3-small1.jpg

Jim

Owning one paragon HT arte italiana, it is one of the best writers I have. I am more fan of older Omas pens. That is why I have reserved a limited edition 360 for January.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

For the first time, I’ve had thoughts in my head that this Paragon from Omas might be the one, and if I could only keep one pen, well, here it is. That’s a bold statement. I know me and that would never happen but you know what I mean. Using this pen is a pleasure and the ultimate fountain pen experience. I have around 40 extremely nice pens and this is the first one I’ve been this passionate about. My beloved Bamboo doesn’t come close to this. I have bonded with this pen and it’s only been a couple of weeks, not even that.

I understand very well what you mean. I've had the same thoughts after getting my new Arco Paragon with an unexpectedly smooth and flexible M nib. Surprising thoughts considering the facets do not align and some of my other pens are more sought after. There'a something in these new Paragons that make them true writer's pens, despite the weight and the metal section. Is it the balance weighed towards the section, the nib, the soft resin or a certain je ne sais quoi?

• 1 month later...

dear greencobra

thanks for the excellent review. I recent got a new paragon gold trim model from ebay at a fairly reasonable price. the pen looks OK, but things started to worry me after i saw some pictures of the nib online. 1. is the metal part of gold trim version also made of sterling silver? does yours get the any silver marking on the barrel?

2. can you show us a close up photo of the nib? Mine looks a bit different from those i saw over the internet.i.e a big "OMAS" lying across the body of the nib, below it is "18K" and further down is "750" and further down is "M", while the one i saw over the internet was "18K" "750" and "M" marking were all on the same line underneah the "OMAS" rather than one on top of each other. Am i got cheated with a replica???

thanks for your help in advance.

plz PM me the photo via email pixiebb@gmail.com if not too troublesome.

cheers

Hi pixiebb. I don't take good photos but this photo of the nib on my Paragon was taken from the Omas site. It might help you. The nib desigantion, in my case F, is located on the side of the nib rather than on the top. I have no silver markings on the barrel and I think you want to know what the material is under the gold plating, I don't know but I doubt it would be sterling silver. Shoot over to the Italian section and ask that there, I'm sure one of the experts can tell you.

And I'm not aware of any bogus Omas pens out there. That's not saying there isn't any. I may be wrong but I thought there were 3 Paragons. The original model, then the first edition of the Arte Italiana and the one we know now. I'm no expert on Omas pens by any means but I'm thinking you might have a "2nd generation" Paragon. I'm sorry I'm not much help to you.

Edited by greencobra