Herbin Diabolo Menthe

Ann Finley

I bought this ink because I thought it would be neat to have an ink in the aqua/turquoise family that leaned toward green as well as some that lean toward blue. However, using both shades on the same page with a fine nib doesn't always afford the contrast that I thought it would. Depending on the pen/nib, sometimes the difference is hardly noticable. Would I buy this ink again? Maybe. By the time I empty this full bottle I'll have decided! At least it is darker than Herbin Bleu Azur and it is well behaved. The scans are at 300 dpi.

The paper for the comparison below is Clairefontaine.

Thanks for looking!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ann Finley

• AndrewW

• Sailor Kenshin

• oldnavy1988

Thanks for the scan and review. Now, if only I could write as well as you :D

How come 'Steel Blue' is the greenest of the lot? Or is this similar to the naming of 'Umber'?

I have to say I am surprise at how blue this ink is, considering who a diabolo menthe is, seven up with mint syrup. It should me almost peppermint green from the name. It's a nice colour though.

Thanks for the scan and review. Now, if only I could write as well as you :D

How come 'Steel Blue' is the greenest of the lot? Or is this similar to the naming of 'Umber'?

You're right..."Steel Blue" is one of those inks that we tend to think should be a different color. The scan is close to the color that the ink really is--maybe a wee bit lighter.

Thanks for the kind words.

Best, Ann

• 1 year later...

I just got some of this ink (it arrived in the post a few minutes ago from TWD), and I must say that I am disappointed with it. It is very pale, and very blue. Certainly nothing like the description on the Pendemonium "Ink Facts" page, which reads: "frothy soft pastel green. A bit greener than the Private Reserve Foam Green".

Edited by AndrewW

• 4 weeks later...
I have this ink and it seems to have a lot of sediment in the bottom of the bottle...is this going to be bad for my pen?

While some inks do "settle out" and the bottle needs to be shaken (as is true of many Noodler's inks), I'd be very wary of anything that appears to be sediment. Sorry to say it, but I'd probably pitch the ink.

Best, Ann

Beautiful handwriting! I love this ink---it's one of my favorite colors, like a clear, tropical ocean wave.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to say that, since my initial disappointment two months ago, this ink has really grown on me. It has bedded down nicely in the pen and now writes somewhat more intensely than it did at the outset. I have actually been using it on an almost daily basis at the office. Although, on its own, it basically resembles just another pale turquoise, its greener tones are quite noticeable when used alongside a bluer turquoise such as Bleu Pervenche. I'm even thinking of buying a bottle of it (rather than just the cartridges that I have at the moment) and putting it in my wet, broad-nibbed Sheaffer.

Wonderful review, its just what I was looking for. Thank you so much for sharing your time and talent. Its on its way from Pear Tree.

"Let us cross over the river and sit in the shade of the trees." Final words of General 'Stonewall' Jackson (d.1863) when killed in error by his own troops at the battle of Chancellorsville.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Wonderful review, its just what I was looking for. Thank you so much for sharing your time and talent. Its on its way from Pear Tree.

Thanks, OldNavy, hope you enjoy the ink :)

Best, Ann

I just wanted to say that, since my initial disappointment two months ago, this ink has really grown on me. It has bedded down nicely in the pen and now writes somewhat more intensely than it did at the outset. I have actually been using it on an almost daily basis at the office. Although, on its own, it basically resembles just another pale turquoise, its greener tones are quite noticeable when used alongside a bluer turquoise such as Bleu Pervenche. I'm even thinking of buying a bottle of it (rather than just the cartridges that I have at the moment) and putting it in my wet, broad-nibbed Sheaffer.

That's a good idea--putting this ink in a wet, broad nibbed pen. I usually use it in a pen with an italic nib, which also shows it off well.

Best, Ann

• 3 weeks later...
I just got some of this ink (it arrived in the post a few minutes ago from TWD), and I must say that I am disappointed with it. It is very pale, and very blue. Certainly nothing like the description on the Pendemonium "Ink Facts" page, which reads: "frothy soft pastel green. A bit greener than the Private Reserve Foam Green".

Exactly right Andrew, I just received this ink and it is VERY light. I'm enjoying it though. I bought a sample from Pear Tree and I have yet to decide if it will go into my stash of inks for good.

"Let us cross over the river and sit in the shade of the trees." Final words of General 'Stonewall' Jackson (d.1863) when killed in error by his own troops at the battle of Chancellorsville.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

• 1 year later...

I love the color of this ink. I have not purchased a bottle yet, but it is on my wishlist. Thank you for reviewing it.

By the way, your handwriting is BEAUTIFUL!

Finally, a place where being obsessed with pens and paper is the norm...

I love the color of this ink. I have not purchased a bottle yet, but it is on my wishlist. Thank you for reviewing it.

By the way, your handwriting is BEAUTIFUL!

Thank You! Turns out I did continue to buy the ink and am still using it in the same pen (Sheaffer Rainbow Prelude) as I did when I wrote the review in 2007. :)

Best, Ann

• 1 year later...

Lovely handwriting. This is probably one of my favourite colours actually - I haven't tried very many inks but I purchased some cartridges of this and, in the right pen of mine, is lovely. I like using it alongside the orange Pilot V Pen(though I think they're called the Varsity in the States?)

~ Danni

I like to collect the cheap, cheerful and colourful!

very nice ink and very nice handwriting :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time