Top Posters In This Topic

• Lloyd

• amateriat

• Stephen-I-am

• CharlieB

Was this from a bottle or a cartridge?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

This was from a cartridge. I haven't come across a US source of Pilot blue-black in a bottle.

Stephen

Current Favorite Inks

Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut

Thanks, Stephen! The color on my screen looks very close to what I get on paper. I agree with Lloyd's other posts: it's my favorite blue-black.

Hi Darin. I haven't used waterman inks that extensively, but I would be hard pressed to find a better behaved ink than Pilot's. One feature that would recommend Pilot over Waterman is its water resistance.

Hi fjf. I have the Platinum ink too, and I find it to be more saturated and just prettier. In general, I prefer more vivid inks over these two (like PR midnight blues or Stipula blue).

Stephen

Current Favorite Inks

Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut

• 2 months later...

Which ink is darker (after drying).... Pilot Blue Black or Platinum Blue Black? Are both waterproof, or just the Pilot?

Has anyone tried Pilot Blue Black from a bottle to see if it is the same color as the cartridge version? I notice that Ujuku is now selling Pilot Blue Black in 350ml bottles on eBay.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Bump.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Which ink is darker (after drying).... Pilot Blue Black or Platinum Blue Black? Are both waterproof, or just the Pilot?

Has anyone tried Pilot Blue Black from a bottle to see if it is the same color as the cartridge version? I notice that Ujuku is now selling Pilot Blue Black in 350ml bottles on eBay.

I have both and was disappointed to find the bottled ink to be more black and less interesting. Anyone else have experience with them?

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Anyone else have experience with them?

Risking the appearance of being a total ink geek, I have one of those big bottles of Pilot Blue Black. The bottled version is much darker (at least to me) than the cartridge. I seem to get more variation out of the ink in the cartridge.

In some pens, the bottled Pilot BB even appears darker than Sailor BB. Pilot BB first hits the page as a dark navy blue, then it begins to dry to almost black, with no greyish tints (unlike Sailor BB which definitely has those greyish tints).

Between Platinum BB and Pilot BB, you'll get more blue out of the Platinum BB because as I've noted before, Platinum BB is really a blue -- often a dark blue, depending on the pen/paper.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

This ink is beginning to sound like it might be right up my alley. I've been looking for a blue black ink that has no grey or green tones. Platinum Blue Black is not dark enough. Sailor, Pelikan, Sheaffer, and Parker are too grey. Waterman, Diamine, and Noodlers are too green. Private Reserve doesn't dry fast enough. Dupont is not available outside of France. Pilot may be the one for me.

Edited by CharlieB

CharlieB

In some pens, the bottled Pilot BB even appears darker than Sailor BB. Pilot BB first hits the page as a dark navy blue, then it begins to dry to almost black, with no greyish tints (unlike Sailor BB which definitely has those greyish tints).

While mine looks mildly purplish navy when it first hits the page, it dries like a slightly faded deep blue with excellent shading from my FA nib; not black at all. I'm using the big bottle, too. :hmm1:

Oscar Wilde

Lloyd & Margana -- May I ask where you both bought your large bottles of Pilot BB?

I didn't buy mine from Ujuku on eBay. I bought it last year from a Japanese art supply shop in West LA. They had plenty of bottles, and so I bought one. Really risking being an ink geek, I may buy another bottle from Ujuku just to see if there's a difference in colour.

Charlie -- I may need a garden hose to siphon it out of the bottle, but I'll send some Pilot BB if you want to try a sample. The 350ml bottle is like an old soda bottle. Unless I plan to start drinking the stuff, I'm quite sure it'll outlast my ability to hold a pen in my hand.

Edit: I checked -- Ujuku sells Pilot BB in various sizes (directly from their site). I'll likely get the smallest bottle possible to see if there's any colour difference with the 350ml bottle that I purchased a year ago from another source.

Edited by girlieg33k

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

While mine looks mildly purplish navy when it first hits the page, it dries like a slightly faded deep blue with excellent shading from my FA nib; not black at all. I'm using the big bottle, too. :hmm1:

Lloyd, thanks for sharing your results. I'm especially glad to hear what the ink looks like from an FA nib, as I'm thinking of purchasing a 743 with FA nib in the next few days. Do you like yours?

CharlieB

Lloyd, thanks for sharing your results. I'm especially glad to hear what the ink looks like from an FA nib, as I'm thinking of purchasing a 743 with FA nib in the next few days. Do you like yours?

If you like a smooth soft nib, remeniscent to me of the Danitrio Densho's XF flexy nib, it'a wonderful. Look at Antonioz review to get a good sense of how it performs. If Richard B. were attending the Boston pen show(which he isn't :crybaby: ), I might have it's unflexed tipsize reduced from it's current Asian fine to an Asian XF to increase the range of linewidths. However, I can't be separated from it for ~6 months.

Oscar Wilde

Hi all, especially girlieg33k who I can't PM :-)

I really, really like the blue-black in the Pilot Petit1 blue-black pens. I've considered buy refills and dumping them in a bottle so I can use them in my non-petite pens. But if this bottle (apparently different depending on who has it) is the same, that'd be a big win. It is a dark color with just enough blue to be intriguing.

Does anyone know if the bottled Pilot blue-black (at least 1 or the other if there are different types) is the same blue-black in the Pilot Petit1 mini pens (as found on jetpens.com and jstationary.com)? Is it permanent? I'd be interested in an ink exchange....

I don't know if it should matter in regards to the ink color but my bottle is a 70ml not a 350ml. I got it from Richie at cyberpens. I don't think I could use up an entire 350ml even if it doubled as an ice cream topping.

Oscar Wilde